Author Topic: Auto Sandboxing issue with Media Player Classic  (Read 7573 times)

Offline DraKuL

Auto Sandboxing issue with Media Player Classic
« on: February 27, 2012, 01:07:10 PM »
Media Player Classic v 1.4.2600.0 (MPC-HC v1.4.2600) is opened in sandbox each time I run it. Avast gives the option to open it normally the next time i run it but still it gets sandboxed automatically and gets terminated in a couple of seconds.. I know that I can add it to exclusions and keep running the software but shouldnt it open normally when we select the option to open normally the next time we run it ? (without having to add it to exclusions manually by selecting the path)
ASUS ROG Mobo - AMD Ryzen 7 3700X| RAM 32.00GB | 4TB HDD +1TB SSD | ATI Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB
Windows 10 Pro 64bit |Avast One Individual | MBAM PRO - RealTime | SUPERAntiSpyware PRO |CC Cleaner | Chrome | Firefox |(The Latest Release of all the Software)

Offline BTIsaac

Re: Auto Sandboxing issue with Media Player Classic
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 01:23:57 PM »
AutoSandbox is crazy that way. There's a reason I have it turned off at all times.

Tetsuo

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 02:15:56 PM »
Unfortunately I have to admit that the V.7 Autosandbox is a nightmare. I suggest that you add the program to the exclusions manually and wait until one of the next Virus Definition Updates hopefully fixes your issue with the Media Player (when you add the program to the exclusions as safe automatically this piece of information is sent to Avast labs).
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 02:21:28 PM by Tetsuo »

Offline DraKuL

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 02:34:06 PM »
well yeah.. they should do it soon.. and also does anyone have any idea how file rep works? I mean how files get a reputation? I thought we could flag files or programs as harmful like in webrep where we flag websites..
ASUS ROG Mobo - AMD Ryzen 7 3700X| RAM 32.00GB | 4TB HDD +1TB SSD | ATI Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB
Windows 10 Pro 64bit |Avast One Individual | MBAM PRO - RealTime | SUPERAntiSpyware PRO |CC Cleaner | Chrome | Firefox |(The Latest Release of all the Software)

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 02:39:54 PM »
@DraKul

If you are using the gadget, turn it off. I have found that it works every time for me with the gadget off.
With the gadget on avast would always populate the exclusions in AutoSandbox with "en avast! user interface" instead of the program name and path of the program in the sandbox.

I'm not kidding here. This has been tested by others too. If you have "en avast! user interface" as an exclusion, this is the problem.

Offline DraKuL

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 02:41:45 PM »
yes! that was there in the exclusions list and I was wondering why.. So if I remove it from the exclusions and not run MPC in sandbox it should run properly ?

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 02:43:36 PM »
Delete the exclusion and turn the gadget off first and it works every time. Then re-run the MPC. After it is analyzed, select run normally and the correct program and path will be added to the exclusion list. Sounds crazy that having the gadget on does this, but it does.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 03:09:13 PM by Charyb »

Offline DraKuL

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 02:48:12 PM »
yup it worked! but I really think they should fix this bug.. anyway any idea how to get the gadget back ? :D

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 02:52:59 PM »
It's not just with Media Player Classic. It happens with all programs that I have tried with the gadget on. If you want it analyzed, and have the gadget on, and want to choose whether or not to continue to run sandboxed or normally then I don't have an answer. I haven't tried the ask setting on sandbox. If set to ask, the program is not analyzed and I'm not certain if you select run normally if it will work correctly or not.

If you know the program name and path, you could always enter it manually.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 03:11:18 PM by Charyb »

Offline DraKuL

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 02:54:46 PM »
hmm ok thanks! btw do you know how to get the avast gadget back ?  :-\

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 02:55:15 PM »
Right click on your desktop and select gadgets or go to control panel and select desktop gadgets.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 02:57:38 PM by Charyb »

Offline DraKuL

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 02:58:14 PM »
yeah I tried that already but its not there.. going to try and repair AIS..

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2012, 03:01:02 PM »
Double click aswSidebar.gadget will get it back.

Offline DraKuL

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2012, 03:04:57 PM »
hmm strange.. I couldnt repair/ uninstall AIS it says some file is corrupted ( Programfiles\Avast Software\Avast\ setup ) if I remember correctly.. I used the Avast uninstaller hopefully it will work. thanks btw! :D

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2012, 03:07:39 PM »
You're welcome.  :) Hopefully they will get some of these problems worked out soon.

well yeah.. they should do it soon.. and also does anyone have any idea how file rep works? I mean how files get a reputation? I thought we could flag files or programs as harmful like in webrep where we flag websites..
Read here on this: http://www.avast.com/pr-avast-software-detection-is-faster-when-filerep-knows-all-the-clean-files
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 03:15:40 PM by Charyb »