Author Topic: Autosandbox image of the WTC towers is a big no no!  (Read 3148 times)

ineuw

Autosandbox image of the WTC towers is a big no no!
« on: February 28, 2012, 12:54:46 AM »
Someone should alert Avast that the image of the World Trade Center Towers in their software's Autosandbox advertisement is in very bad taste, insensitive, and offensive. They should replace it ASAP.

chimp78

Re: Autosandbox image of the WTC towers is a big no no!
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 01:06:01 AM »
Oh I see that. It is in UI where Additional Protection is and click on Autosandbox.

MsAdelle

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 01:08:28 AM »
I dont think thats the world trade centre, for a start there are 3 of them. Arent they supposed to computer towers or similar type of thing?

Im certain its not the twin towers though. Looks nothing like them.

FlyingRobot

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 01:10:04 AM »
Looking at a screen shot, doesn't look like WTC to me either.  Aren't they supposed to be just part of a city scape?  You can also see them on homepage: http://www.avast.com/en-us/index

chimp78

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 01:13:17 AM »
I agree that those look like some kind of buildings that we see in the city and I doubt Avast intend those to be from WTC. I think to some people, when seeing those buildings, it suddenly remind them of WTC because of the building structures or something.

I am sure this will be deleted or locked to prevent it from getting stirred up from people.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 01:16:58 AM by chimp78 »

Offline BTIsaac

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 01:13:55 AM »
Hello political correctness. Even if they WERE the twin towers, I have no idea what the problem is. But those skyscrapers look so different it never even occured to me to make that connection, and I'm still wondering how anyone could.

FlyingRobot

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 01:36:13 AM »
FWIW, I do think many Americans and possibly some others have the images thoroughly rooted in their mind and seeing similar tower/city type scenes cause recall of the WTC images and by extension the strong feelings of sadness and in some cases personal loss. 

chimp78

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 01:53:20 AM »
FWIW, I do think many Americans and possibly some others have the images thoroughly rooted in their mind and seeing similar tower/city type scenes cause recall of the WTC images and by extension the strong feelings of sadness and in some cases personal loss.

True, I did at first, but then I realized it is not what they actually are.

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 01:26:23 PM »
Someone should alert Avast that the image of the World Trade Center Towers in their software's Autosandbox advertisement is in very bad taste, insensitive, and offensive. They should replace it ASAP.

Of course all depictions, impressions or caricatures of steel framed multi-story buildings are obviously the World Trade Centre. (Is this the same sort of thing as a "face" appearing on a slice of toast being "obviously" a depiction of Jesus or Mary?)

There are genuine issues being dealt with here and there (i.e. NYC). Let's not  trivialize either of them.
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 02:21:53 PM »
The autosandbox is a very useful tool that will be even better on improving the quality of the shields detections in next 7.x versions.
It had, indeed, some issues in the early 7 versions, but, also indeed, promising.
The best things in life are free.