Author Topic: Cant connect to certain web sites  (Read 2955 times)

jkonsta

Cant connect to certain web sites
« on: December 05, 2004, 07:04:30 PM »
A few days ago my internet started going all loony  on me.   While I was still able to connect to the internet and surf the majority of the web sites I normally go to, it stopped allowing me access to Microsoft web sites like hotmail and other sites not controlled by MS like stockhouse.com.  Also, a MMORPG that I play is now useless as it freezes as it tries to connect to the local server.  All this happen on the same day.  

I used avast to scan my system for any virus and nothing was found.  I also made sure everything was up to date.  Since no virus was found and I still had this problem I figured I would just whipe my system clean and do a complete reinstall.  That too didnt help.  Is it possible that I might have a virus in my boot sector which fomating wont delete?  Or do I have something other then a virus that is causing my computer to function this way.

JimK

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:Cant connect to certain web sites
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2004, 07:10:25 PM »
Click on the link in my signature and visit the "malware removal" section. Do as explained there. Take your time to read that page and do as it says. Let us know if it solved the problem.

It looks like your hosts file is compromised.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2004, 07:11:44 PM by Eddy »

jkonsta

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2004, 05:21:10 AM »
Thanks for the info.  It allowed me to update my XP with service pack 2.  Once I did that Avast started getting win32 viruses.  Some were win32:wootbot-BC, win32:Rbot-DC.  

One thing  with service pack 2 is that it gives you a "Local Area Connection Status" icon.
When I open that icon and check my connection status, it tells me that I have Limited or no connectivity.  When I check the details it tells me that for Default gateway, DNS Server and WINS Server have no values assigned to them.  I tried fixing it by selecting the repair button but it didnt work.  

Does anyone have a clue as how to fix that??

JimK

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2004, 10:19:26 AM »
Change your network settings to DHCP, unless your ISP specificly tells you otherwise. And if you are on a LAN, ask the administrator for the settings.