Author Topic: avast! Behavior Blocker Event:  (Read 3829 times)

Foxer

avast! Behavior Blocker Event:
« on: December 06, 2004, 03:53:06 AM »
I have Avast home edition on my XP home machine and I regulaly update database and program files.  Recently I noticed a new feature, whenever I try to open a *.exe file, I receive a warning from Avast, let me make sure it is the one I want to open.  I like this peature.  But in the same time, Avast also gives me warnings that I have to click "Allow", because if I click "Deny", it keeps coming, coming and coming.  I don't know what are these program doing? Are they dangeous exe files? How can I get Avast not showing them.  The messages are as following:

Open File For Writing
File name: C\System Volume Infomation\_restore...\A0193479.exe
Program: SVCHOST.EXE

or another Program:

File name: C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\...\edb.chk
Program; wuauclt.exe

I googled these two files and know that they are Win processes, but I am not techy enough to understand these.  I am wondering if other Avast users had similar problems as mine, how do you do with them?  By the way, I haven't updated Win XP SP2 yet.

inthewildteam

Re:avast! Behavior Blocker Event:
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2004, 04:11:20 AM »
Try
disable system restore
schedule a boot scan with avast

report the results back here, you might have a trojan infection or an automatic windows update feature running.  Path to the executable file would help also

Edit  path to the exe file after a reboot and scan after stopping system restore btw
« Last Edit: December 06, 2004, 04:24:35 AM by inthewildteam »

Negeltu

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2004, 07:04:53 AM »
Those two things are not dangerous processes/programs.  The first is just xp making a system restore point and the second is just xp checking for windows updates online.  If you want them both to stop (Don't know why you would) then just turn off system restore and turn off automatic updates.  

All in all there is nothing to worry about, BUT inthewild is right...it's probably a good idea to run a boot time scan.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2004, 07:35:48 AM by Negeltu »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2004, 01:21:28 PM »
I receive a warning from Avast, let me make sure it is the one I want to open.  I like this feature.  But in the same time, Avast also gives me warnings that I have to click "Allow", because if I click "Deny", it keeps coming, coming and coming.  I don't know what are these program doing?

Are you sure this messages come from avast?
Aren't they from your firewall? Do you use any? Which one?

Open File For Writing
File name: C\System Volume Infomation\_restore...\A0193479.exe
Program: SVCHOST.EXE

or another Program:

File name: C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\...\edb.chk
Program; wuauclt.exe

If you're sure these are the messages, please, just turn off the Behavior Blocker.
It was thought for old systems. You don't need it if you install SP2 and a firewall.
The best things in life are free.