Author Topic: Anyone having problems with the new version blocking more than before?  (Read 3916 times)

sleepdeprived

First, I just got more frustrated. I forgot to use the "verification" words. No biggie - just go back and do it, right? So then I send again with the verification and it tells me I already sent the message. No message out there, that I can see. So now I have to post a "new" topic and write again. I am bitting my tongue to keep back some sarcastic comments!

I hope third time is the charm. This time I didn't type the miserably hard to decipher verivication. Of course when I went back to try again: "You already sent the message."

Now my problem:
Since version 7, some of my programs can't call out to the internet. I can't install some. I put the exclusion in the exclusions for scanning - does that exclude Avast from interferring when they try to reach the internet?

Now I've got a link in an email that I signed up for (a download) and it can't reach the web. I suspect Avast is blocking it, but don't know for sure because there is no information except that it can't send the command.

And I can't find any place where there is a log file to find out what's going on. Any help there?

I'm not tech savvy and before this, Avast was easy for me to use.

I'm afraid I may have to spring for a different security suite. Are others having these problem?

Peggy

sleepdeprived

Well I just used the uninstall tool. Even my tech support guy couldn't get past all the pop ups and put downs of this new 7 version, and he used to be an Avast promotor. He helped me get all of Avast uninstalled and then was able to install my video driver update (and I'm $70 poorer not to mention the loss for what I paid for the avast subscription).

I downloaded a different security software program trail. No more Avast for me. And he won't be promoting it anymore either.
Peggy

jolo

I find Avast! Internet version 7 stops me many more times and the popup doesn't really explain why.

What program did you move to after dumping Avast!
?

thanks,
Jon

sleepdeprived

I'm using the trial of Kapersky. They have different levels; this one will cost me $80. So far I've had no trouble with Kapersky being invasive.

I can't believe Avast totally distroyed their program with this update! What's the use of having security if you can't use your computer.

Peggy

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
I find Avast! Internet version 7 stops me many more times and the popup doesn't really explain why.
<snip>

I take it you mean you are using avast! Internet Security ?

If you are interested in an answer, then some more information will help. A screenshot of the popup or the full text, etc. will tell us which shield it is. If you then tell us when it happens and what you were doing
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

sleepdeprived

It was far more complicated than that. My tech support person was amazed at how intrusive Avast had become. Last week it kept me from installing a program and I couldn't find a way to stop it from isolating a needed file until I turned off each shield, one at a time, and the firewall. Then this week my onOne plugin suite 6 was crashing. I needed a video driver update. The pop up boxes from Avast were driving us nuts trying to get an updated driver to install. Of course each time I went through the list and disabled everything, it was all enabled again on a reboot, which once froze my computer up so I had to do a safe restart. Before that, every time I had to do something new, Avast had to be laboriously disabled. I did go in and add an exclusion to get one program to work, but that didn't help with the new driver install.

It was all so complicated even when it worked. I'm not tech savvy. Maybe this upgrade works for people who know how to "fix" it. But it was a nightmare for me. Yes it is Internet Security.

The only answer for me is if I could go back to the last version somehow and at least keep using my subscription updates and not update the version. I would have to have the old installation file since the one I have is so old, it would need newer program updates - which of course would be version 7. Even if there was a roll back option It wouldn't work since it's totally off my PC now.

If you can send me the last version and I can update my virus/etc files, I would install it again. It worked wonderfully before. Version 7? Never!
Peggy

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
As an avast user, not employee I don't keep old copies of the software, I also use the avast free version, so I can't send you a copy.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

sleepdeprived

Thank you anyhow, David. I imagine the free version works better, but I'm paranoid and like all the extra protection. It's just hard to understand how it worked so well before and the new upgrade was a disaster.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
They should work in a similar way unless you are using the AIS version as the free version has a lot of the Pro components.

jolo

<snip>

I take it you mean you are using avast! Internet Security ?

If you are interested in an answer, then some more information will help. A screenshot of the popup or the full text, etc. will tell us which shield it is. If you then tell us when it happens and what you were doing

Yes David,

Avast! Internet Security version 7.0.147

There is some irony that I just deleted some of the screen shots that I have getting from the popups that come up quite a bit.

I will start documenting this again.

Rather than just whine about problems, I really want to see Avast! improve and succeed. I have used it for many years.

Jon

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Anyone having problems with the new version blocking more than before?
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 02:39:56 AM »
There is an update in the pipeline and we are testing the pre-release beta version right now, so I don't know how averse you are to using a pre-release version (7.0.1412), but you can get more information here and see if any of the things covered are areas effecting you. http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=94790.0