Author Topic: Is Web shield really needed?  (Read 27092 times)

Offline jl747

Is Web shield really needed?
« on: February 29, 2012, 07:03:47 PM »
With Web Shield activated it slows down my browsing and downloads.

That said is really necessary to have activated?

See this post http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=94604.0 about the subject of slow internet browsing.

Windows 10 Pro - Avast 18.4.2338 - Vivaldi 1.15.1147.xx
Zone Alarm Free Firewall

Hermite15

Re: Is Web shield really needed?
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 07:08:25 PM »
the web shield doesn't slow down anything here ... but okay since you're asking: my opinion is that the web shield (Avast web shield, ie the original) is a masterpiece ... without it your system will still be protected, and well protected by the file shield as it remains the first line of defense at hard disk level. But well, there's nothing as cool as seeing a connection being just dropped because the web shield detected malware in memory, ie long before it could even reach your hard disk ;)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 08:21:44 PM »
It is perhaps the best shield of all of the shields, so yes it is really needed.

I certainly have no slow down, in fact on some of my tests with the web shield enabled is faster than with it stopped, go figure.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Dch48

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 09:07:29 PM »
I think that of all the shields, the Web Shield is the second most essential one. The first obviously being the File System Shield. If there is one that in a lot of cases is non-essential, it's the Mail Shield but it doesn't hurt to keep it running just in case.

Offline jl747

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 09:10:09 PM »
Thanks for your thoughts and opinions.

Just strange that my speed increases with this service disabled.
Zone Alarm Free Firewall

itsjustme2

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 09:16:51 PM »
Thanks for your thoughts and opinions.

Just strange that my speed increases with this service disabled.
This is because web shield is scanning data before it enteres the computer by using Avastsvc.exe proccess.
Web shield will protect from dangerous data that file system shield might not even detect, like malicious javascript or web exploits that will try to infect your computer with 0-day malicious content.

So yes, this is windows, and windows should be protected with a web shield (unlike UNIX based systems).

Offline jl747

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 09:20:48 PM »
Once again thanks.
Zone Alarm Free Firewall

Dch48

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 09:31:48 PM »
I know some people say that the Web Shield slows down browsing slightly but I have tested my speed at speedtest.net with it enabled and disabled and there is no difference at all for me.

Offline still questioning

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2015, 10:22:50 PM »
I see no way to experiment with disabling one shield at a time in the UI to find out which one is causing the massive slowdown.  The shields did show up a bit ago but now they do not.  I'd have to reboot every time and that is a pain and counterproductive for me. 

I cannot live with the slowness.  I have to find out which is the culprit.

I did disable them all and was a happy surfer but kept getting that error message that I am not protected.

WHY do I need those shields and WHY do they slow everything down so much?  I know, others say they don't slow down their systems, but I'm not them, my system is different, so pages loading will keep loading and loading forever.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2015, 10:56:04 PM »
I see no way to experiment with disabling one shield at a time in the UI to find out which one is causing the massive slowdown.  The shields did show up a bit ago but now they do not.  I'd have to reboot every time and that is a pain and counterproductive for me. 

I cannot live with the slowness.  I have to find out which is the culprit.

I did disable them all and was a happy surfer but kept getting that error message that I am not protected.

WHY do I need those shields and WHY do they slow everything down so much?  I know, others say they don't slow down their systems, but I'm not them, my system is different, so pages loading will keep loading and loading forever.
See instructions here    https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0
Scroll down to Farbar Recovery Scan Tool .... run as instructed and attach the two diagnostic logs

Offline still questioning

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2015, 02:19:54 AM »
I'd like the answer to my question, please.

The slowdown started the moment I got rid of 'browsercleanup' !!!!!  BTW, on prowling around I found that browsercleanup has a bad reputation so I'm glad it's gone.

It was deleting things I wanted to keep, deleting without my knowledge or consent.  So I had to keep reinstalling things, over and over, with no slowdown.  Lost two days of productivity doing scans, etc.

Now I want a simple answer. 

Why do I need those extra things?  Doesn't Avast work to catch the bad guys without those "shields"?  It never used to have them and everything was fine.  No bugs, no slowdown.    Why can't Avast run the way it used to? 

If there is a difference between having the definitions updated only and not using the shields versus using the shields, I want to know what those differences are.  Then *I* will make the decision to use them or not use them in addition to the regular protection.

Or is there no protection at all if I don't use one or more of the slowdown 'shields'?

« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 02:29:47 AM by still questioning »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2015, 02:49:27 AM »
  Why do I need those extra things?  Doesn't Avast work to catch the bad guys without those "shields"?  It never used to have them and everything was fine.  No bugs, no slowdown.    Why can't Avast run the way it used to? 

Avast have always had the shields, and without the shields you have a none working antivirus program

Attach the requested diagnostic logs and we msy be able to see what your problem is

Why do I need those extra things?   
I think maybe you are mixing shields and additional products?....... more details would help?

« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 03:07:48 AM by Pondus »

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2015, 02:16:03 PM »
It was deleting things I wanted to keep, deleting without my knowledge or consent.
Browser Cleanup doesn't delete things unless you give it permission to do so. It advises you of toolbars
that may be bad and have a bad reputation. You make the final decision.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

REDACTED

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2015, 10:58:20 PM »
The only shield that is probably not needed is the Mail Shield. I would say the Web Shield is necessary. My personal opinion is that Avast should strip out the browser cleanup, the software updater, and a few other things from the free version and just have it use the basic shields which provide very good protection on their own. Most of the other stuff is fluff imho. I know you don't have to install it but I feel the option to shouldn't even exist. There really isn't much advantage as it is to go to the paid versions when so much is given in the free one.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2015, 12:54:50 AM »
The Mail Shield may be your first indication of a hidden or undetected spambot on your system.

If you aren't using conventional email but webmail viewed through your browser then there would be no additional resources used as is sits waiting for activity.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security