Author Topic: Menu Text Color Change ?  (Read 4747 times)

darrellb

Menu Text Color Change ?
« on: December 07, 2004, 12:35:45 PM »
Is it possible to change the text color of the menus (drop-downs) somewhere on the avast4.ini file or any other way?
The reason I ask if simple, the theme I currently use on XP sets the menu text color to white and of course has a deep blue background, the thing with this program (which I love by the way) is that I am not able to read the text every time I pull down a menu option because of the background being almost white, and then of course I get white on white  :o. This type of drop-down menus is what I call “Microsoft office type” menus and in all my other application that have the same kind of menus the text always displays black, so I am baffle… and I know for sure is this variable because I changed the registry value “HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Colors” MenuText from “255 255 255” to “0 0 0” and then avast menus were perfect but the rest of my system was a disaster… anyway I would be great if I can correct that flaw because the rest is simply amazing…

Thanks in advance. ;)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re:Menu Text Color Change ?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2004, 01:14:05 PM »
I'm not sure, but if it can be done in the avast4.ini then, check out this thread for lots of options you can set through the avast.ini file. Understanding avast4.ini file
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2004, 10:24:11 PM »
I asked for Sasha's help... your skin guru  8)
The best things in life are free.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2004, 11:14:23 PM »
I may be wrong, but I think the color of the menus cannot be changed...

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2004, 02:48:00 AM »
Igor is right... from skinbuilder there is no chance to control menu or menu text color. No matter which skin you are using, menu color is always same. That is something that is built directly in avast! antivirus program code I guess... Any info from programmers ?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2004, 02:49:27 AM by S.Z.Craftec »

darrellb

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2004, 10:36:49 AM »
Bummer  :-\… this is what I am facing though. I hope there is a solution for this some how…

http://home.eol.ca/~miguel

Anyway, thanks a lot. You guys rock. ;)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2004, 08:47:14 AM by darrellb »

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2004, 11:59:36 AM »
Of course there is a solution my friend... don't give up. Contact directly (through IM) one of Alwil guys (Vlk, Igor, pk or someone else), and point their attention to this thread, although I'm sure that Igor is already interested in this one, because we all can see that he already replied once...

There is always a solution, there must be... if something needs to be changed in code, then no other thing to do than change it. I'm not sure, but I don't think it should be such a great deal to make those color values non-fixed. It looks like they are "locked" somehow, so you are not able to change them as we can see from your screenshot, you did with other applications... text color that you see in avast! menues right now, is not acceptable. There must be a way to change that in code...

Alwil team, we have another very happy avast! user that needs help. Darellb is very happy avast! user (as we all can see), he doesn't complain at all... he just said he would like to be able to change those color values... nothing else. I think we should at least try to make this happen...

Thanks to everybody for interest in this thread !

Cheers !
« Last Edit: December 08, 2004, 12:07:30 PM by S.Z.Craftec »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2004, 03:32:32 PM »
As far I can understand, the problem is inside of the avast! program code, it's not part of the skins.
It's not fair that a user see white letters on white background...
If Microsoft and Outlook is able to support menu text color change, why don't you change something inside avast!? It shouldn't be such a big deal just to "unlock" menu text color value  ;)
The best things in life are free.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2004, 05:40:19 PM »
I'll check it when I find some time - but I certainly don't promise anything.
As far as I know, this particular piece of code may be hidden inside of a third-party library and changing it may not be as easy as it seems. It could be the same problem as the color of the hyperlinks (that are displayed incorrectly in the program)... I tried to find and fix it, but failed :(

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2004, 05:57:38 PM »
No problem Igor, you're willing to help and that is what counts. If you find out how to solve that problem, please alarm us...  :)

Thanks again !