Author Topic: Am I still fully protected on Web Shield?  (Read 3804 times)

PoliticalFreedom

Am I still fully protected on Web Shield?
« on: March 04, 2012, 04:17:46 PM »
Hi,

I added chrome.exe to the Web Shield exclusions to allow me to get on the internet; otherwise, i wasn't able and access was "interrupted". 

Am I still fully protected? 

Thanks.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Am I still fully protected on Web Shield?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 04:47:00 PM »
No you aren't fully protected as avast's Web Shield won't be monitoring the activity of chrome.exe, you only have to look at the web shield activity, Pages scanned/infected, if you only use chrome exclusively then that figure is likely to be 0/0. But there may be other non-chrome http access in that case it would be monitored, but not the chrome.exe activity as you have excluded that process.

The most common cause of inability to connect is firewall blocking:
What is your operating system and  firewall ?
Does it allow avastSvc.exe internet access ?
- If it does delete the entry for it and reconnect to the internet (you would need to remove the excluded process to confirm), this should force the firewall to ask permission again.

What avast version are you using free/pro/AIS ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

PoliticalFreedom

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 06:50:19 PM »
Hi DavidR,

I am running OS Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 Ver. 2002,   Avast 7 Free version,  Windows Firewall. 

The firewall did have avastSvc.exe on the exclusion list.   I deleted it.  I deleted Chrome.exe from the Web Shield exclusion list as well.
I reopened Chrome and I was not able to access most of the internet.   Strangely enough, I was able to access facebook.com and hotmail.com, which are two of the websites that I visit most often.  I open google.com often, but wasn't able to access that site either.  I cannot explain that.   

The message that i get on the pages is The connection to www.google.com was interrupted..   Of note, you mentioned that the firewall would 'ask permission', but I didn't get any messages or indicators saying that the page was blocked.  In firewall, notification of blocked sites is positively checked.

Not sure if this matters.  The sensitivity is set to normal.  The heuristic icon on the browser page doesn't give us any useful info.  Both facebook.com and google.com indicate 'no votes'.   

thank you.  I really appreciate your help! 

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 07:03:31 PM »
Well the windows XP firewall shouldn't be having an impact as it has zero outbound protection.

You will be able to access https links as SSL (secure encrypted) traffic isn't monitored.

If the web shield were being blocked you wouldn't even be getting "The connection to wxw.google.com was interrupted." Sensitivity isn't an issue as that only pertains to how through the scan would be, nothing to do with the actual connection.

Have (or did) you another Anti-Virus installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

Do you use a proxy to connect to the internet ?

Also see Cause for apparent Web Shield blocking internet connection, http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=57443.0.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

PoliticalFreedom

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 02:21:07 PM »
Hi DavidR,

Thank you for responding and deciphering my problem.

Yes, I recently uninstalled  AVG Free from the control panel, change/uninstall programs.   

I don't use a proxy to connect to the internet.  I am on a home wireless (Verizon FIOS) network.

According to the link you suggested, I verified that my registers were available and properly set.    The link also suggested that I uninstall and re-install avast.  I haven't yet done this.  Should I?   

Thank you again!!!

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 03:14:47 PM »
It may be worth ensuring all remnants of AVG are gone:
- Uninstall possible remnants of previously installed AVs see, http://singularlabs.com/uninstallers/security-software/, this has a collection of manufactures removal tools, so that should remove any remnants, registry, etc.

If that doesn't resolve it then an clean reinstall of avast is the next step:
- Download the latest version of avast, 7.0.1426 http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/avast_free_antivirus_setup.exe and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again (if you didn't save your last download). Use that when you reinstall.

- Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, aswClear.exe find it here and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for 5.x, 6.0.x and 7.0.x).
  • 1. Now uninstall avast! (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility from safe mode, first for 6.x if previously installed and then for 7.0, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.

PoliticalFreedom

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 03:40:30 PM »
Hi DavidR,

I ran the uninstall link that you provided for AVG, and reinstalled Avast as described, but still am not able to get online.  Do you have any other suggestions? 

Again, I am thankful for all your help!!!!

Sandi

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 04:32:04 PM »
Also see Cause for apparent Web Shield blocking internet connection, http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=57443.0.