Author Topic: Restoring settings to a different system  (Read 5706 times)

spg SCOTT

Re: Restoring settings to a different system
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2012, 04:31:24 PM »
I thought with some update of version 6 the ini name was changed to remove the version number to avoid confusion in the future. Maybe not...I don't know.
I wont have seen it myself...I have only installed avast once...and that was the first version of 5 ;)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2012, 05:49:35 PM »
No David. I did a totally fresh/clean install yesterday (no traces of Avast  in the system before the install) and the file is still avast5.ini (not avast.ini file).
Also, I haven't imported any settings so the file name was generated during the setup process.

System info: Win XP Pro SP3  / Avast! Free AV 7.0.1426

I thought that was likely to be the case as some considerable time ago it was mentioned that changing the avast5.ini name would be complex as it is referenced in many areas.

I thought with some update of version 6 the ini name was changed to remove the version number to avoid confusion in the future. Maybe not...I don't know.
I wont have seen it myself...I have only installed avast once...and that was the first version of 5 ;)

The clean install of avast 6 changed the old folder names, ALWIL Software and Avast5 to AVAST Software and Avast, but the avast5.ini remained the same. So it looks like that anomaly remains, perhaps in avast8 ;D
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Tetsuo

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2012, 07:36:50 PM »
So it looks like that anomaly remains, perhaps in avast8 ;D

yeah, but spg SCOTT is so lucky that probably he will have no need to do a clean install of avast 8  ;D

I have only installed avast once...and that was the first version of 5 ;)