Author Topic: polall1r  (Read 3252 times)

stongmount

polall1r
« on: December 09, 2004, 07:06:59 PM »
hi, I have just installed the home edition of Avast.

Where can I enable, as well as disable, the auto-scan on system boot up?

Also, there is this file called polall1r unders Windows/System32 (i'm using Windows XP Pro) that was infected with trojan something, and i have moved it to the chest. Is it alright to move Windows files to the chest?

I have also chosen the option "delete" when the scan revealed certain files, which are not under Windows folder, are infected with either trojan or ncasespy. Are the files deleted physically? or does it mean the deletion of virus only?

Can I just reinstall Windows XP to make everything "clean" again? Do i have to uninstall Windows itself b4 reinstalling? I have some files already sitting the PC. Would they be affected by reinstalling Windows?

Appreciate any advice.

thanks a lot

Stongmount.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:polall1r
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2004, 07:37:33 PM »
Where can I enable, as well as disable, the auto-scan on system boot up?
From the menu in Avast.

Is it alright to move Windows files to the chest?
Not everything in the Windows folder is a Windows file.

Can I just reinstall Windows XP to make everything "clean" again?
No need for that, unless there is really no other way to solve a problem.

Click on the link in my signature and follow the instructions in the malware removal section to thoroughly clean your system.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2004, 12:24:29 PM by Eddy »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:polall1r
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2004, 12:21:59 PM »
Are the files deleted physically? or does it mean the deletion of virus only?

Delete will remove the entire file. Repair (when available) will try to remove only the virus infection.

Can I just reinstall Windows XP to make everything "clean" again? Do i have to uninstall Windows itself b4 reinstalling? I have some files already sitting the PC. Would they be affected by reinstalling Windows?

Maybe yes, maybe not...
Better is schedule a boot time scanning and be clean before reinstalling windows.
In fact, I don't know how would you 'uninstall' windows before reinstalling it... do you mean format the HDD?
The best things in life are free.