Author Topic: Shut down during scan  (Read 5040 times)

CarlaWarla

Shut down during scan
« on: December 10, 2004, 02:13:25 AM »
I've installed it, now want to run a scan, but it's shutting down and restarting my computer! Can anyone help?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:Shut down during scan
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2004, 02:21:29 AM »
No we can't help, unless you provide more information ;D

What OS?
Waht exact version of Avast?
How do you scan? (ashquick?)
What settings?
Is the system shutting down or rebooting?

etc etc
« Last Edit: December 10, 2004, 02:22:18 AM by Eddy »

CarlaWarla

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2004, 02:33:03 AM »
Sorry...duh! I'm running XP Professional, SP2...I downloaded Avast 4.5 Home Edition, I installed, put in the key, downloaded updated virus defintions, then started a scan. Tried it twice, and each time it about a minute into the scan, it crashes, and shuts my computer into a reboot.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2004, 02:39:56 AM »
Check Avast's log to see where exactly it is rebooting/at what file/location it goes wrong.

Have you run chkdsk before initiationg the scan?

4.5 is only part of the exact version. Right click the blue ball with the "A" and choose about. Tell us what exact version.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2004, 02:40:51 AM by Eddy »

CarlaWarla

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2004, 02:49:22 AM »
avast!HomeEdition4.5
Build Nov2004(4.5.549)
XtremeToolkit version 1.9.4.0

I right clicked on "A", and went to Log Viewer, but there is nothing logged there.

No, I didn't run a chkdsk first.

inthewildteam

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2004, 02:54:21 AM »
avast!HomeEdition4.5
Build Nov2004(4.5.549)
XtremeToolkit version 1.9.4.0

I right clicked on "A", and went to Log Viewer, but there is nothing logged there.

No, I didn't run a chkdsk first.

Is avast! your only anti-virus solution.  Are you also using a pre-installed anti-virus programme and avast?

CarlaWarla

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2004, 02:58:31 AM »
Right now, yes. I had NAV installed up until earlier this evening, and uninstalled it after a million conflicting problems. Once the same thing happened with Norton as well, and someone told me I had a virus and could get rid of it in safe mode, which I did. It never did it again. Now, I have avast! and I can't even do a complete scan. Right after I installed avast, it performed a boot-scan? There were some trojans which I deleted.

inthewildteam

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2004, 03:06:17 AM »
Right now, yes. I had NAV installed up until earlier this evening, and uninstalled it after a million conflicting problems. Once the same thing happened with Norton as well, and someone told me I had a virus and could get rid of it in safe mode, which I did. It never did it again. Now, I have avast! and I can't even do a complete scan. Right after I installed avast, it performed a boot-scan? There were some trojans which I deleted.

Please do a search on here about completely removing NAV ...... including visiting NAV for it's removal tool for your version of it.  You'll have lots of reading.  Most everyone here who has had that programme installed has given a great sigh of relief to be rid of it.  avast! and NAV (or remnants of it) has had problems ........... everyone here will be able to offer help after you have completely removed it.

CarlaWarla

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2004, 03:20:23 AM »
I'll do some reading then...thanks so much! I'll get back to posting after that if I still have problem.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2004, 01:02:55 PM »
Right now, yes. I had NAV installed up until earlier this evening, and uninstalled it after a million conflicting problems.

The old NAV  :P
One of the most difficult things in the earth is getting rid of NAV  >:(

Once the same thing happened with Norton as well, and someone told me I had a virus and could get rid of it in safe mode, which I did. It never did it again. Now, I have avast! and I can't even do a complete scan. Right after I installed avast, it performed a boot-scan? There were some trojans which I deleted.

Can you reinstall Windows over your own installation?
After that, try running a boot time scanning again...
Anyway, I think it's not a trojan but a driver conflict as it occurs when NAV in the past and now with avast.
The best things in life are free.

CarlaWarla

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2004, 09:03:03 PM »
 :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
Just wanted everyone to know that I didn't have to reformat. But thanks to your advise, getting rid of EVERY Norton piece on my computer was the lifesaver. What a conflict! Anyway, everything is running wonderfully now, there are no conflicts, no viruses...I  LOVE this product!

Starfighter

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2004, 04:45:32 AM »
Yup, we're all really like avast too!   :)

Glad you got your system working normally now.   ;D