Author Topic: Help with Email (POP3)  (Read 3296 times)

RazorX

Help with Email (POP3)
« on: December 10, 2004, 05:45:32 AM »
Just installed tonight as stuped Norton AV was blocking reception of one of my accounts.  It used same settings as my other account that was working fine, but one account could not receive email.

Now, after intall Avast, I can't SEND email unless I shut the Avast off.  I feel like an idiot for asking, but where exactly does one find the lovely Email protection wizard?  It is not in my Start>Programs>Avast menu....
« Last Edit: December 10, 2004, 05:48:24 AM by RazorX »

techie101

Re:Help with Email (POP3)
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2004, 06:03:10 AM »
Razor,

It depends on your OS.  If you use Win NT based, 2000 or XP, Avast no longer will show the MPW.

The MPW is for use with Win9x and ME systems.

If you open up the Start/Programs/Avast folder......it would be there.

What email client are you using?  Some require manual configuration:  Thunderbird and Pegasus in particular.

:)

RazorX

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2004, 02:23:11 PM »
I am using Win XP SP2.  I have tried using Netscape Mail 7.2 and can't et anything out unless I turn off avast.  It receives just fine.  This morning Outlook Express seems to be send and receiving.  I have checked the server settings about 100 times.

Update:  If  I turn off SMTP scanning it works fine, so that is my current fix.  
« Last Edit: December 10, 2004, 05:42:51 PM by RazorX »

techie101

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2004, 06:01:39 PM »
Razor,

Let's stay with Avast for a moment.  With XP, the MPW will not appear, and configuration is different.  Avast now acts as sort of a filter and the settings no longer require 127.0.0.1 or the appersand attachment (#) in the username.
Configuration should be as if Avast was NOT installed.
POP and SMTP server names should be those of your ISP and your username should be the one used with your ISP.

Now, if you are using a firewall (I hope you are), then make sure that you are not blocking any Avast request for internet access.  Avast will access the internet for mail scanning as well as for updates.  You probably will see ashmaisv, and ashserv and one or more avastsetup in the traffic log of your firewall ( ::))

I am not sure if Netscape Mail is web based or not.  I don't use it.  I know that it is built on Mozilla mail, so it should work.  IF OE is sending and receiving, that is a good sign.  It means Avast is configured and working as it should.
Do you have Avast set to insert a message into clean email both in and out?

« Last Edit: December 10, 2004, 06:08:02 PM by Techie101 »