Author Topic: Enhancement idea - Blocking applications with inappropriate rights  (Read 2909 times)

pavel359

Hello,
While using Android, I am annoyed checking all the required permissions the application I am installing requires. My idea is: Would not be possible to set and activate some protection profiles in Avast Mobile that will block or warn me by default before trying to install application that - due permissions - may:
- invade my privacy
- harm my system
- etc.
It may be for exmaple some "advanced" feature, off by default, with several levels. But generally, I am going to prefer not to install some application, even promissing, if it requires some strange perms. (And I do not like to check them always ....) Thank you for evaluation.
Regards,
Pavel

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
Re: Enhancement idea - Blocking applications with inappropriate rights
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 11:09:45 AM »
Hi,

that actually doesn't sound that bad, although we can't warn you before the installation because that is completely handled by the Play application. We could warn you right after the app is installed.

Filip

SafeSurf

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 10:42:20 AM »
When you download apps., they tell you in the Marketplace what perms. are allowed.  There are apps. out there that you can install to disable/enable perms.  However I noticed once installed and you block certain app. perms., not all apps. continue to work properly...it depends on the app.

reinhardholzner

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 05:11:34 PM »
usually developers take the permissions for granted because they can not be revoked by Android itself after installation -> developers build no permission checks into their code -> removing permissions after installation can result in tons of crashed because of permission problems

SafeSurf

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 11:01:59 AM »
removing permissions after installation can result in tons of crashed because of permission problems
I totally agree since I've tested it with many apps. and this is true with several apps. on testing (and it was not the phone or OS).