Author Topic: Anti-Theft feedback After Testing  (Read 2449 times)

Gazza99

Anti-Theft feedback After Testing
« on: March 21, 2012, 11:42:41 AM »
Hi All,

Have been testing The Ant-Theft Feature in Avast's mobile solution on my HTC Sensation running android ver 2.3.5 and am impressed mostly bar a couple of things i have noticed and wished to share.

# The Message command Does not seem to appear unless the phone is unlocked. so if you have a pin or code on your phone then the message cannot be seen without entering the code, which makes this command rather useless.

# There seems there is no command to max the ringer volume? so if the phone is set to silent then the silent would not sound.

#Commands sent to the phone are displayed within the text message, so if your phone is set to display a text msg even if the phone is locked (by default on alot of smart phones), Then the person who has the phone can see the received messages with the commands, eg, " A location command has been successfully issued". This wouldn't work in the owners favor.

If these could be looked into in future version i believe this would be an even more highly viable package!

Offline Werner

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
Re: Anti-Theft feedback After Testing
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 12:07:44 PM »
Hello,

unless you use goSMS (which wont work with our tool) no commands are displayed on the lost/stolen phone.
The "A location command has been successfully issued" message is just the confirmation the sender of the command receives.

The alarm is automatically set to maximum volume. Even in cases where villain turns down the volume it is set back to maximum within a second.

If you protect your sim card with a pin code we have two scenarios:
a) without a pin entered no sms commands can be received anyway.
b) if your sim card is replaced by the thiefs sim card, you get the new phone number sent to the specified friend number. and you are set to go again :-)

Werner

reinhardholzner

Re: Anti-Theft feedback After Testing
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 05:14:18 PM »
hi with the newest build messages should appear even when the phone is locked. please specify more clearly your device / OS version.