Author Topic: Automate computer group membership  (Read 2002 times)

floydfan3

Automate computer group membership
« on: March 22, 2012, 05:13:25 PM »
I've recently migrated from ADNM and Avast 4.8 to Avast Business Protection Plus.  I used to have a fairly smooth setup with ADNM that went something like this:

00:00 - Execute WOL batch file to wake all domain computers
00:10 - Scheduled discovery task.  Discovery would automatically populate the "with" and "without" groups.
00:20 - Deploy NetClient to members of the "without" group.
00:40 - Scheduled discovery task.  All computers should now be in the "with" group.
00:50 - Execute other scheduled tasks and then shutdown.

I purposely set things up that way because I am a 1-man operation.  Sometimes when refreshing a workstation I forget to do the steps to install Avast.  This was my failsafe that prevented computers from going unprotected until my failing memory kicked in.

I would like to do the same thing with BPP.  The problem I'm having is that I can't seem to find a way to automatically populate a group of unmanaged computers.  Every time I perform a discovery task, all computers end up in the Default group and must be manually moved.  That's great for certain things but it makes it impossible for me to set up an "automatic deployment" scenario as described above.  After all, if I've got enough presence of mind to move the computers to a different group, why not just kick off the auto deploy task??

Thanks in advance,
Dan