Author Topic: Why was my Post Deleted  (Read 2315 times)

grummy

Why was my Post Deleted
« on: March 25, 2012, 01:10:09 AM »
A couple two or three days ago I posted to a thread started by al968 asking for suggestions to improve the Virus submitting process.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=26304.msg215162#msg215162

When I returned a few hrs later to check to see if there were any responses, my post had been deleted (removed) completely.

No explanation, no PM, nothing--just gone ?  My suggestion was only that the system could have a better notification after hitting the Update (send forward function). The only thing that I can even GUESS- is that I did reference in the post the current version # of Avast's definitions. That might have broken a rule or maybe it considered was considered too descriptive ?

I was so proud to have found a zero day Trojan and, in fact, I was the first person to scan and alert Virus Total as it had never been submitted prior.  BTW, it only took Avast 18 hrs to include it in definition after I sent it in. I think that's excellent. 

I have notified well more than a dozen valid files to Avast that were not in their definition over this past year or so,  and have always tried hard to be a good net citizen on this forum board.  If I did break a rule-- I apologize.  A response post or private message would have been appreciated as no one like to see their posts removed.

Resolved--Thank you kindly     
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 03:33:59 AM by grummy »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Why was my Post Deleted
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 01:19:39 AM »
my guess would be that you posted in a topic from 2007    ;)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 01:24:41 AM »
Given that that topic was over five years old and virus submissions have changed considerably since then may have something to do with it, but I don't know that for sure.

There is also an anti-spam function in the forums that depending on content might well have removed it, unfortunately there is very little that can be done to identify exactly what it might have been.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

grummy

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 03:02:30 AM »
Thank you gentlemen and David R I think you're dead on as to the spam filer idea. I did receive a a pop up warning that the thread was old but it did ask if I wanted to go ahead so I proceeded.  Love Avast and enjoy this board. Should this thread be tagged as CLOSED ?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 03:12:34 AM »
They stay open, assuming it doesn't get deleted ;D

You can modify the first post and add [Resolved] to the topic subject.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security