Author Topic: Completely Silent Client Configuration?  (Read 4453 times)

Brandon

Completely Silent Client Configuration?
« on: December 13, 2004, 11:12:01 PM »
This isn't to be confused with a silent install....

So far, I'm very happy with the beta version of ADNM and the managed version of Avast!, but there is one hang-up that would prevent me from recommending this product for our company:

I cannot figure out how to disable all visual alerts on the client.

When a suspicious e-mail arrives, or a virus is discovered by the On-Access scanner, an alert pops up warning the user.  In our company, this is (unfortunately) unacceptable.....it would generate too much paranoia amongst our users.  I'd much rather have the client set to display no visual alerts of any kind; I'd like it to remove the virus silently, then send an e-mail to our support department to alert them.

This setting, of course, would have to be included in the deployment package.....running around to each of our 500 machines wouldn't work.  I've searched through the forums, settings, help menu, etc. to no avail....am I missing something or is this not currently possible?

Thanks much for your time!

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:Completely Silent Client Configuration?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2004, 12:17:41 PM »
When a suspicious e-mail arrives, or a virus is discovered by the On-Access scanner, an alert pops up warning the user.  In our company, this is (unfortunately) unacceptable.....it would generate too much paranoia amongst our users.  I'd much rather have the client set to display no visual alerts of any kind; I'd like it to remove the virus silently, then send an e-mail to our support department to alert them.

In fact, the virus scanners ARE preset to disinfect the viruses automatically (without telling the user). So this is fine. BUT what you're seeing is most likely an alert from the mail heuristics module ("Suspicious message"). The heuristics is not set to silent mode simply because it would be too dangerous. I mean, such a heuristic alert doesn't necessarily mean that the email in question is infected. It can in fact be a completely benign email that just exhibits some signs typical for viral messages.

To achieve the behavior you want is quite easy, though. Simply edit the on-access task used on the machines you'd like to set this to (by default, there's only 1 on-access task so that's the right one), and turn on "Silent mode" on the Heuristics pages of the "Internet Mail" and "Outlook/Exchange" providers. The change will be applied during the next communication with the AMS (i.e. it should become effective on all running machines within 15 minutes unless the default settings have been changed (10 minutes POP interval with 5 minute entropy).

This setting, of course, would have to be included in the deployment package.....running around to each of our 500 machines wouldn't work.  I've searched through the forums, settings, help menu, etc. to no avail....am I missing something or is this not currently possible?

Not really the deployment package. Instead, the Computer group policy (properties). But that's probably what you thought.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Brandon

Re:Completely Silent Client Configuration?
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2004, 04:54:45 PM »
Thanks a ton!  Yes, this is what I was looking for.

Brandon