Author Topic: demo license for bart 3.0  (Read 20308 times)

jflavius

demo license for bart 3.0
« on: April 02, 2012, 07:11:19 PM »
can someone tell me how i can get a demo license for bart 3.0..........?

thanks,
jF

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: demo license for bart 3.0
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 07:57:49 PM »
There isn't. It's not a shareware. You need to buy it.
The best things in life are free.

jflavius

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 08:35:17 PM »
thanks. now, i'm trying to get into my windows vista-based computer that won't boot up/start windows. my intent is to get in and save data/docs, then re-install windows, which will erase all my data.

first, is the bart 3.0 beta product what i need to get that job done (retrieve/save my data).........?

if so, how do i buy a license?

thanks again.

jF

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 08:43:51 PM »
jflavius, Bart CD is for infected computers and could manage your files even if you can boot.
You can test free CDs to know if they work before: www.nu2.nu/pebuilder

jflavius

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 08:57:19 PM »
thanks again.

i believe my computer IS infected. is the bart cd easier to navigate for a novice (like me) than the PE system you referred me to........?

thx.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 09:16:34 PM »
Is the bart cd easier to navigate for a novice (like me) than the PE system you referred me to........?
Well, a lot easier imho. Besides, it's ready to use and do not need that you add plugins or "build" the CD.
Can't you boot Windows in Safe Mode?
Do you have a cable network or only Wifi?

jflavius

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 09:37:12 PM »
i have WiFi....... i don't know how to get to safe mode. when starting, i get 2 choices. 1. enter setup 2. boot mode. if i don't interrupt startup, it tries to go to a windows repair screen and after trying, it tells me it can't repair itself.

thx,

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 10:07:25 PM »
But don't you have a wire cable to plug in the computer? You'll need it to update Bart CD virus definitions (as the wifi drivers aren't included in the CD).
About Safe Mode, try to set the second option (continue to boot) but press F8 before and continuously to enter in Safe Mode.
Post back the results.

jflavius

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 12:49:31 AM »
hello,
yes, you're correct. i have a cable modem. so, i can plug the computer to it directly. re: safe mode. following your instructions, i got the computer to get to a safe mode prompt. however, after selecting safe mode, it loadeded some files but then took me to startup repair again. i tried almost all options (ie; safe mode w/ command prompt, etc. it made no difference, it took me to startup repair each time.

thanks again,

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 02:02:57 PM »
If you have the Windows DVD with you and you're planning reformat, maybe a chance will be using the repair restart option and/or overinstall Windows above the current (problematic) installation.

jflavius

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2012, 08:32:13 PM »
yes, i have the toshiba recovery and applications disk that came w/ the computer. i know that there used to be the option to re-install windows but not delete data on the re-install disks, but i can't seem to find that option on this one. re: repair/startup; every option listed there ends up in the same place, back in repair/startup. you have been very patient w/ me and i do appreciate it. do you think the toshiba recovery disks should give me the option of a windows re-install w/o deletion of data......?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2012, 10:02:43 PM »
Do you think the toshiba recovery disks should give me the option of a windows re-install w/o deletion of data......?
Most probably not. These disk recovery options are generally a turn back to manufacturer settings (reinstall Windows).
But, there is a difference between disk recovery (F10) and Windows reinstallation.
Maybe the Toshiba DVD allow you to overinstall Windows (without formatting and losing the data).
Overinstallation can solve the problem and you won't lose your programs, settings, data, files, etc.
Just choose 'Repair' installation of Windows (or the Toshiba) and install 'over' the old installation.
Do NOT format.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;315341
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q314058
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B315341&x=15&y=0
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/tips/doug92.mspx

jflavius

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2012, 10:49:28 PM »
hello,
i don't think i have the option of over-installing windows w/ the disk i have. if i bought a new ms vista disk, could i use that to re-install/over-install and retain my data.....? if that is possible, could i use a different version of vista than the one i have now, or would both have to be the same....?

thanks,

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2012, 10:54:26 PM »
hello,
i don't think i have the option of over-installing windows w/ the disk i have. if i bought a new ms vista disk, could i use that to re-install/over-install and retain my data.....? if that is possible, could i use a different version of vista than the one i have now, or would both have to be the same....?

thanks,
Really, will it worth? Pay for Vista nowadays? Wouldn't it be better to recover the files and get Windows 7.
I have no experience on restoring Vista...

jflavius

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2012, 02:07:59 PM »
well, i'm grasping at straws...... windows vista could be purchased for about $80. i really don't care about anything other than retrieving my files/data, using the easiest and cheapest solution. could you suggest a remedy that would be doable for a novice?