Author Topic: SMS commands are not hidden  (Read 12371 times)

omnomnom

SMS commands are not hidden
« on: April 06, 2012, 07:53:38 AM »
I have been having an issue with the Avast! theft protection that I never encountered with Theft-aware.
"Every SMS command begins with that password and ensures that the SMS will not be visible." Unfortunately all of the SMS commands I send using the password are visible. I get the return from the command just fine, but the command SMS shows up in my texts. Any help/feedback would be very appreciated. This happens on the Galaxy Nexus 4.0.2 and HTC evo 3d. (not.sure.1)
Thank you,
Omnomnom
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 08:01:24 AM by omnomnom »

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
Re: SMS commands are not hidden
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 08:31:31 AM »
Hi,

are you using GoSMS?

Filip

omnomnom

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 08:35:17 AM »
No, but I am using Handcent on both devices
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 08:37:53 AM by omnomnom »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 02:42:08 PM »
Side note: Filip, what's the problem with GoSMS?
The best things in life are free.

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 03:04:28 PM »
omnomnom: I asked Reinhard to come here and solve this with you since Handcent should be just fine, just wait.

Tech: All this custom SMS stuff is about priorities in Android. GoSMS sets its priority to the same level as avast! does making it collide. We tried to write them numerous times but they never responded as far as I know. I'm afraid this won't change till users of both avast! and GoSMS will start bombarding them with requests to lower their priority a little bit.

Filip

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 05:11:17 PM »
Tech: All this custom SMS stuff is about priorities in Android. GoSMS sets its priority to the same level as avast! does making it collide. We tried to write them numerous times but they never responded as far as I know. I'm afraid this won't change till users of both avast! and GoSMS will start bombarding them with requests to lower their priority a little bit.
They're losing a customer right now... Uninstalling...
I could never receive support from them also.
The best things in life are free.

omnomnom

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 12:49:05 AM »
Thank you Filip, I also exchanged a few emails with Vlk in regards to this issue and I can add that when the SMS commands are visible the problem is not caused by using GoSMS, (as I use Handcent) Commands are not sent via internet SMS portal, (I have tried commands from 2 different phones) and Anti-Theft is activated (I would assume because I receive the returns from the commands. ie "2222 locate" returns a map link)
I've used the paid version of Theft-aware since June of last year without a problem and just switched to Avast! a few days ago and now all the commands are visible. I'd hate to lose my phone and tip someone off with a "2222 Locate" command. I can't seem to figure out what's going on and I feel a bit vulnerable now about misplacing my phone when I go out. At least I can remote wipe, but ideally I'd like to be able to track it down (which I did last December when I left my phone in a cab)
I really believe in this app and I know it works!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 12:53:33 AM by omnomnom »

mike.

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 04:10:31 PM »
The same thing happened to me but I fixed it by uninstalling and reinstalling Handcent.

But as stated above this doesn't work for GoSMS..

csa02221862

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 02:12:50 PM »
Deleted Handsent and re-installed. Commands are still visible and now the locate command does not return the location. Obviously Avast has some serious issues with this. Its their responsibility not the sms authors to insure this works.

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 02:58:24 PM »
Well, not really, but I suppose that's another discussion.

I will ping Reinhard again.

reinhardholzner

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 03:19:22 PM »
I looked at the Handcent manifest (most recent version) and it seems they also raised their receiver priority to the maximum value (which is illegal by Android OS specification). We will contact them immediately to get this fixed ASAP maybe they are more willing to help than GoSMS.

PS: the behavior of GoSMS and Handcent breaks not only our app, but ALL SMS based anti-theft apps in the market. Please stay tuned. In the meanwhile we recommend to use the stock messaging application.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 03:45:14 PM by Filip Havlicek »

BlackSheik

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 03:43:34 PM »
I looked at the Handcent manifest

Nice, he looked, thats more then some other he do. LOL

mike.

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2012, 11:36:22 PM »
Deleted Handsent and re-installed. Commands are still visible and now the locate command does not return the location. Obviously Avast has some serious issues with this. Its their responsibility not the sms authors to insure this works.

Forgot to mention I am using TheftAware still but no problems with the latest version of Handcent after the reinstall.

reinhardholzner

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2012, 02:46:58 PM »
update 1999 has just been released and it fixes this problem (shows notification if incompatible SMS tool is found).

omnomnom

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2012, 09:09:01 PM »
I can confirm that the issue is indeed with Handcent. Thank you guys (Filip, Reinhard, Vlk) for your time and willingness to help. Avast seems to be one of the few applications that you can get actual feedback and help from people. Keep up the good work