Author Topic: can't update the Virus Database since upgrading to 4.5  (Read 5170 times)

westcoaster

can't update the Virus Database since upgrading to 4.5
« on: December 16, 2004, 08:43:42 PM »
Hello,

since i updated to Avast 4.5 (Home) last friday, i have been unable to connect to the virus database for updates, and it is beginning to worry me. I have never had this problem before. (Win98SE machine, direct cable connection, no router, no proxies)

I have given Avast permission in my software firewall to allow connections, and have also shut down the firewall altogether, but the result was the same.

I have tried using the connection tester under 'program settings', but have the same result - cannot connect to Avast. Avast tries and tries again, but does not connect.

I have no other internet connection issues.

Anyone else had this problem? Should I uninstall and go back to the older version of Avast? ???
« Last Edit: December 16, 2004, 08:45:36 PM by westcoaster »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re:can't update the Virus Database since upgrading to 4.5
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2004, 10:12:11 PM »
What Firewall are you using?

With a program update, your firewall may, correctly recognise the avast program has changed and ask you to allow it access, if you didn't answer YES, that's it blocked.

Check your firewall allowed/denied access programs/logs, avast.setup needs access to the Internet in order to be able to update.

Try a manual update, and see if your firewall blocks it.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2004, 10:13:12 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

westcoaster

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2004, 10:18:15 PM »
as stated above:
I have given Avast permission in my software firewall to allow connections, and have also shut down the firewall altogether, but the result was the same.

Any time an app changes, imy FW asks again if this app should have access, and Avasta has been given full permissions to access the net.

And as also stated above:
have also shut down the firewall altogether, but the result was the same

thanks anyway DavidR

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2004, 01:35:01 AM »
Make sure your browser is not set to "Work Offline" (this option is generally in the File menu). If it doesn't help, try switching the proxy settings from "Auto-detect" to "No proxy" (I'm assuming you're not connecting to the Internet via proxy).

Left click the avast icon > Settings
Update (Basic) > Details > Proxy
The best things in life are free.

westcoaster

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2004, 01:53:43 AM »
as stated above:

direct cable connection, no router, no proxies

my Avast is set to use a direct connection

my browser of course is always set to work "online"

I have permanent connection and i have no ther connection problems with any programs i use, and i never had this problem until i upgraded last week to Avast 4.5

I checked all settings before i posted this problem

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2004, 02:18:21 AM »
Westcoaster, I can update without problems...
Can you delete the programs into your firewall settings and start them again?

I just asked about proxy because into avast settings it could be the problem...
I suppose you can connect any other site, browse, send/receive emails, etc...

westcoaster

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2004, 12:41:50 PM »
I removed Avast from my Sygate FW and then tried to update again. When asked, I again gave Avast permission again in the FW to access the net, but each attempt timed out.

Then, once again, shutdown my software firewall and even deleted my hosts file too, but each attempt to update Avast database timed out.

Finally, I gave up on Version 4.5

Fortunately, i had backed up my previous installation of V 4.1.  I rebooted to Safe mode and copied the contents from my backup to the Avast folder under Program Files, and voila!  Right away, when i rebooted to Windows,  i was able to update Avast data base, and everything seems fine.

I didn't have to change anything else. My firewall settings and host file are in place again and nothing prevents me from updating.

The version i am using now is:
Version 4.1 Home Edition -  Build 4.1.549 - Compilation date: 26.11.2004  File Version: 0448-1

It seems to me there is some conflict between V 4.5 and Win98SE. I see no other explanation.

Neron

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2004, 03:14:52 PM »
Before installing i was using 98 se with avast 4.5 but everything worked just fine. :-\ ::) ??? ??? ???

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2004, 05:34:26 PM »
I removed Avast from my Sygate FW
I see no other explanation.

I see: Sygate can have a weird behavior from time to time...
I read this a lot of times here in forum.  :-\

For sure, avast is totally compatible with Windows 98SE  8)

peterfu

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2004, 06:02:33 PM »
For sure, avast is totally compatible with Windows 98SE  8)
Can confirm this, too - have Avast 4.5.549 on 2 Laptops - one with W98SE, one with W2K - no problems so far.
br
Peter

gavindyer

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2004, 07:49:29 PM »
i had the same prob to and just applied for new key code and works fiine now!!!! hope that helps anyone.....

CharleyO

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2004, 05:33:38 AM »

I also am still using W98SE and have never had a conflict that involved the OS and avast! As others posted above, avast! works perfectly with W98SE.    ;)