Author Topic: Widgets no longer work after install (and defaults lost)  (Read 4242 times)

guy500

Widgets no longer work after install (and defaults lost)
« on: April 13, 2012, 07:50:02 PM »
Hi

Just downloaded this on Android - replacing Lookout, as Avast seems to have so much more.

However, a few anomalies happened after install:

1 - Most widgets no longer work on my homescreens (though the Google widget still works)

2 - I understood that the application would be "hidden" by appearing as the false name that I gave it.  However, the false named application does not appear in my apps draw while the Avast does.  The false name does appear in the list of apps to in Easy Uninstaller, but it is not possible to launch it.

3 - The phone started in safe mode once (though not a problem if it doesn't keep happening)

4 - Most of my application defaults were lost (though it should be easy enough to put them back, as long as they are not lost again)

Can anyone help to resolve the first 2 things?

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
Re: Widgets no longer work after install (and defaults lost)
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 08:36:46 PM »
Hi,

1) I think device restart should solve that.

2) It's hidden as in really hidden (not shown in apps) and under your false name in uninstall lists (being it in system or a 3rd party application).

3) What do you mean by safe mode?

4) That shouldn't happen. But I would try restarting the device (preferably shutdown and fresh start).

Filip

guy500

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 09:14:13 PM »
Thanks Filip

1)  Unfortunately, it has not resolved after several reboots.

2) It is shown in the app drawer, but the false name is not.  Both are shown in the uninstall list.

3) Not sure what Safe Mode is - not seen it before - but the phone started up with limited functionality, some of the apps not shown at all (just outlines of squares instead) and the words "Safe Mode" in white at the bottom of the screen.

Any thoughts??

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 09:54:04 PM »
1) That's really weird, I have heard no such thing so far from our users. Are you sure it's caused by avast? Did you install rooted Anti-Theft?

2) Note that avast! Mobile Security and avast! Anti-Theft are two separate applications (although tied together). What you see in the app drawer is AMS, not AAT (you see both in uninstall). This design enables you to not instal AAT at all or uninstall AMS or AAT separately keeping only the part you want.

3) OK, didn't see anything like that either. What device/carrier you have?

Filip

guy500

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 09:58:54 AM »
Thanks Filip

Well, some of this is resolved now:

1) I deleted the widgets and replaced them, and they seem to be working fine now.  My phone is not rooted.

2) I understand now - thanks.  I am not able to open AAT though (under my false name now).  Is that normal?

3) I am on T-Mobile (in the UK) with a Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc.  It has not happened again since.

4) I have re-programed by defaults, however most of them have been lost again following a restart.  Is Avast doing something that might affect them, and is there a way to keep them through restarts?

Thanks for your help.

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 10:26:01 AM »
2) There are two ways for you to open AAT now - through AMS (there is a dashboard item) or by directly calling your 4-6 digit avast! Password (can be changed in both AMS and AAT), just try it :)

3) OK.

1+4) I can imagine avast! breaking the widgets, but not deleting your application data :( If the problem persists, you can always try to uninstall AMS and AAT and see if it goes away (and reinstall AMS/AAT later if you like). If it goes away, we can try to determine what's the problem together.

Filip
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 01:22:28 PM by Filip Havlicek »

guy500

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2012, 12:20:46 PM »
OK - thanks - will give it a try and keep you posted if the problem persists.

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2012, 01:22:40 PM »
OK, thanks.

Filip

guy500

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2012, 05:28:36 PM »
Hello Filip

After uninstalling Avast, the problem remains.  Either it has nothing to do with Avast, or some change was made somewhere that started this issue. 

Anyway - have re-installed.  If I have the problem anyway, I might as well benefit from Avast as well... 

Any ideas on what may be causing this?

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2012, 06:20:44 PM »
Not really since your device is not rooted :(

Does this happen to the apps that are installed in your internal storage as well? Do I understand it correctly that you run an app, set it up (let's say in a way you set up SMS/Call filter in AMS), leave the app, restart your device and the app just doesn't have the settings anymore?

Filip

guy500

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2012, 07:01:39 PM »
Actually, I have been using "Default App" to set the defaults, which has always worked fine up to now.  What has changed since installing Avast is that the defaults are cleared when the phone restarts now.  I have also tried setting them manually (by clearing them and then choosing a default when I load the relevant application), but the same thing happens.

You make an interesting point that I hadn't realised before - that those few defaults that are not cleared are for apps on the internal storage.  All the apps on the SD card have the defaults cleared.  Sadly, Sony are not very generous with internal space, and I am unable to move them all back to the internal storage.

Would be great to root my phone, however I am not particularly technical, and understand that the rooting process is fraught with risks.....