Author Topic: multiple protection  (Read 2698 times)

Offline yarin

multiple protection
« on: April 13, 2012, 02:40:40 PM »
Why does avast! separate the local real protection into different type of real protection like P2P shield, IM shield and file shield? Is there any special function about this ? I recommend avast! to others, they asked me that it seems file shield also scan local softwares reading and writing, so is P2P shield and file shield necessary as well?

some people also think that web shield is unnecessary as well, because file shield could scan local cache of browser.

I don't know how to explain these question, it is plausible right, but I don't think  these models which were designed by avast! group  are needless.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: multiple protection
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 03:02:26 PM »
The different shields (P2P, IM, eMail and Web, etc.) are specifically designed to monitor that type of traffic/protocol, e.g. they use a specific protocols and ports to communicate P2P, IM, eMail and Web, etc. all use different protocols to communicate, the avast shields are designed to monitor that specific traffic protocol.

The file system shield is watching for files being created, modified or run on your system, the other shields are generally trying to prevent the malware getting on to your system in the first place.

The web shield is possibly the most effective shield since the greatest majority of malware comes from the internet. Whilst browsing, if you happen across a hacked site (very common) then it may have a injected script to download malware or exploit a specific browser, etc. the web shield is very hot on these types of attack. You could also be redirected to a malicious site and the web shield is good at preventing that as is the network shield.

Prevention is by far better than cure, the web shield prevents it getting on to the browser cache, it is also scanning more files by default it scans all files/archives, etc. It can through its prevention of exploits and hacked sites prevent the redirection to a malicious site which could download a piece of malware unknown to the file system shield.

I don't have the P2P or IM Shields installed as I don't use any P2P or IM applications.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 03:07:39 PM »
Why does avast! separate the local real protection into different type of real protection like P2P shield, IM shield and file shield?
To allow different sensibility and configurations. You can make your security harder in critical points and allow more resources when in common situations.
You can use the default settings that are the best balance between performance and security.
The best things in life are free.

Offline yarin

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 01:19:40 AM »
thanks a lot!

The different shields (P2P, IM, eMail and Web, etc.) are specifically designed to monitor that type of traffic/protocol, e.g. they use a specific protocols and ports to communicate P2P, IM, eMail and Web, etc. all use different protocols to communicate, the avast shields are designed to monitor that specific traffic protocol.

The file system shield is watching for files being created, modified or run on your system, the other shields are generally trying to prevent the malware getting on to your system in the first place.

The web shield is possibly the most effective shield since the greatest majority of malware comes from the internet. Whilst browsing, if you happen across a hacked site (very common) then it may have a injected script to download malware or exploit a specific browser, etc. the web shield is very hot on these types of attack. You could also be redirected to a malicious site and the web shield is good at preventing that as is the network shield.

Prevention is by far better than cure, the web shield prevents it getting on to the browser cache, it is also scanning more files by default it scans all files/archives, etc. It can through its prevention of exploits and hacked sites prevent the redirection to a malicious site which could download a piece of malware unknown to the file system shield.

I don't have the P2P or IM Shields installed as I don't use any P2P or IM applications.

Offline yarin

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 01:21:20 AM »
thanks very much!

Why does avast! separate the local real protection into different type of real protection like P2P shield, IM shield and file shield?
To allow different sensibility and configurations. You can make your security harder in critical points and allow more resources when in common situations.
You can use the default settings that are the best balance between performance and security.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 01:45:11 AM »
You're welcome.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security