Author Topic: Don't want Google Chrome  (Read 17210 times)

jerryd

Don't want Google Chrome
« on: April 22, 2012, 04:57:16 AM »
Avast forum,

I know this has been discussed here many times but
 this is the first time it's happened to me.

I re-formated a corrupted disk this week so I had to
 downloaded Avast Internet Security trail version from
 http://www.avast.com/en-us/internet-security.

I supplied my license and as it was installing a second
 window popped up and began downloading Google Chrome.
 I didn't ask for Google,  I don't want Google Chrome,
 I didn't get a chance to check or uncheck a box or
 radio button or a cancel button to stop Google Chrome
 from loading. Some people may like Google Chrome but I don't.

Why does Avast continue do this?

jerryd

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Don't want Google Chrome
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 12:49:07 PM »
Did you not get the initial installation screen, where Chrome can be unchecked as an option ?

See image, whilst this is the avast7 free version I would have thought that this would be the same for a clean install of avast! Pro/AIS, with just the different product name at the top.

Whilst I don't agree with the opt-out default (I feel it should be opt-in), but the ability is there for unchecking the option/s.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Béňa

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 01:01:25 PM »
Oh my God... avast! including google chrome into avast! Internet Security?! It is not enough that you are including into avast! Free?

AdrianH

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 01:14:12 PM »
Oh my God... avast! including google chrome into avast! Internet Security?! It is not enough that you are including into avast! Free?

They don't include Chrome if you download from the correct source.

If you are already a licensed customer there is a download link provided on the web site and that package does not include Chrome. The free trial obviously does come with Chrome as people often revert to the free version at the end of the trial period.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 01:24:28 PM by AdrianH »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 09:17:38 PM »
Perform custom installation and that's it: you're able not to install it :)
The best things in life are free.

jerryd

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 06:31:28 AM »
Avast forum,

As Avast was installing I didn't do any mouse clicking it
 just installed and started to download Google Chrome all
 by itself.

I am already a licensed customer but how would I know there
 is some kind of custom install?

jerryd

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 01:21:26 PM »
As Avast was installing
Were you updating from an existing avast version (within GUI) or you were installing from scratch?

AdrianH

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 01:43:19 PM »
As Avast was installing
Were you updating from an existing avast version (within GUI) or you were installing from scratch?

Avast forum,

I re-formated a corrupted disk this week so I had to
 downloaded Avast Internet Security trail version from
 http://www.avast.com/en-us/internet-security.

jerryd

In which case you are provided with the option to install Chrome or opt out.

HawaiianHope

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 03:34:05 PM »
One of the main reasons we dropped AVG.  they are pimping a toolbar like a cheap whore. IF I DON'T ASK FOR IT, I DON'T WANT IT !

Béňa

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2012, 02:15:41 PM »
Some people don't know what google chrome is. People can be on the recommendation of the avast! to install it. In computer is (another) useless program. I thought that programs like google chrome, google toolbar, ASK toolbar, Yahoo! toolbar and the other useless programs are includes in installers to bad (or poor?) programs.
avast! me very disappointed. I thought that the avast! belong to the quality of the software. Unfortunately, it is rather the advertising of useless programs.

Also, I give up the membership group "avast! Evangelists". This I'm not going to countenance.
P.S.:Excuse me for my english. Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 02:20:36 PM by Béňa »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2012, 02:48:42 PM »
Some people don't know what google chrome is. People can be on the recommendation of the avast! to install it. In computer is (another) useless program. I thought that programs like google chrome, google toolbar, ASK toolbar, Yahoo! toolbar and the other useless programs are includes in installers to bad (or poor?) programs.
Google Chrome is a browser. A browser is not an useless program.
No toolbars are bundled into avast!

Gooob

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2012, 03:25:54 PM »
Stop whining, please.

There was a check box for installing Chrome, you missed it apparently.
There was a link to click for custom install.  You apparently missed that too.

Before bashing Avast maybe kick yourself a bit for not going slower and paying attention.

Furthermore, there is a huge difference between ASk, various toolbars, and the Chrome browser.
Drop bias for a moment and dio some researching on Chrome and browser security such as Chrome's per tab sandboxing, etc etc.

Jack 1000

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2012, 06:47:16 AM »
I have Google Chrome,

But got it through Google's regular website.  The question that I have is, on a re-install of Avast, will Avast "sense" that you already have Google Chrome installed if you do?  I read that some people had Google Chrome, and than when they updated to Avast 7, they forgot to uncheck, "Don't want Google Chrome."  They got Google Chrome installed again, but it wiped out all their personal settings and they had to redo all their passwords in Chrome.

When I got Chrome installed, Avast put Web Rep on it after a reboot.  But I just uninstalled the plug in and all is well!

What do install test show with my question above?

Jack

maggiemm

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2013, 02:14:41 PM »
OK, I am going to state my cause without lying or whining.  If you will.  I had to do a system recovery. Then I had to reinstall Avast.  When the sneaky little box that was already handily checked appeared wanting me to install Chrome along with Avast, I UNCHECKED it.  Then I clicked Install.  Another box flashed very rapidly, giving me NO time to respond, containing a box rechecked to install Chrome.  There was NO time to uncheck it.  I never wanted Chrome, Avast should know that I had plenty of opportunities to install Chrome, IF I wanted it.  It was foisted upon me by Avast without my permission.  I will not even come back to read your reply, if any, but maybe others with the same experience will feel better knowing what happened to them was not their fault, as you are implying.  Thank you for this opportunity. 

REDACTED

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2014, 12:09:19 AM »
hey geniuses, that auto chrome installment was breaking my whole chrome browser profiles and it took me hours to get it back to work, i thought avast was the best free one out there, but with this behavious it is just CRAP.. sackas
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 12:15:02 AM by neo_log »