Author Topic: New to Avast; A little help, please?  (Read 7280 times)

Sting

New to Avast; A little help, please?
« on: December 19, 2004, 04:38:18 PM »
Hi,

I just recently  downloaded and installed: “Avast 4.5 Home Edition on my system: Windows 98SE.      So far I am pleased with it.      But I have a few questions; maybe someone could help me?

Can the program be set to run automatically every day, or do you have to do it manually?     I would also like it to scan my “entire system”.      I see there are 3 options:  “Local Disk”, “Removable Media” and “Folder Selection”?     Which one scans your entire system?    And on updates, with the free edition does it download them automatically or do you have to download them yourself?    
                                                                                                                                                                                Any help would be truly appreciated?

Thanks for your time.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:New to Avast; A little help, please?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2004, 04:43:02 PM »
Can the program be set to run automatically every day
If you have the Pro version it has that option build in. If you have the Home version you need to use the taksshedular as explained in another thread.

With the free edition does it download them automatically or do you have to download them yourself?
Depend on how you set it.

I would also like it to scan my “entire system"
Local disks, as explained in the help.

I suggest you take some time to read the help, this board, and the website to make yourself familiar with Avast and the settings it offers the user. All your questions you just asked are already answered multiple times in multiple places. (Hint: this board has a search option)

Sting

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2004, 05:51:52 PM »
"If you have the Home version you need to use the taksshedular as explained in another thread".

Can't find the Task scheduler anywhere!!!

“I suggest you take some time to read the help, this board, and the website to make yourself familiar with Avast and the settings it offers the user. All your questions you just asked are already answered multiple times in multiple places. (Hint: this board has a search option)”

Sorry to be a pest, but I’m “new” to Avast.     Everything you have mentioned is either unavailable with the Free Edition, or I “can not” find it anywhere.   For example: “Where is the task scheduler located”?     I’ve been up and down the menu and can’t find it “anywhere”.      Not knowing anything on how Avast works, I hoped to rely on someone who could explain it.     The basic help menu isn’t much help at all.     So maybe my best bet is just going back to AVG.    Thanks anyway!  

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2004, 05:56:30 PM »
Task scheduler is part of Windows !

As I told you only the Pro version of Avast has that option build in, not the Home version.

The basic help menu isn’t much help at all.
It is a great help, but you must read it first and try to understand it.

So maybe my best bet is just going back to AVG.    Thanks anyway!
Before judging, you should take some time to learn about an application.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2004, 06:14:58 PM by Eddy »

lee16

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2004, 06:05:08 PM »
Sting

Task scheduler is part of windows, not avast  ;), to get to it go to Start>all programs>accessories>system tools>schedual tasks

With the free edition does it download them automatically or do you have to download them yourself?
Right click the avast "A" icon in your taskbar (nest to your system clock) and then select 'program settings', from there go to 'update (basic)' then choose for yourself which one you want.

I would also like it to scan my “entire system"

Local disk = Your harddrive(s) (HDDs)

Removable Media = CD Drive, floppy drive etc

Folder selection = You choose a specific folder to scan

So maybe my best bet is just going back to AVG.    Thanks anyway!

Well if you feel you must do that, then i can't stop you, but ofcourse, i suggest staying with avast!  :)

--lee

« Last Edit: December 19, 2004, 06:08:16 PM by lee16 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2004, 06:27:13 PM »
The Home version of avast doesn't offer the schedule option. You need avast Professional for it.

But, like the other said, there is a workaround with taskschedular. Another user on this board has expalined how/what to do: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=3796

avast & AVG comparison could be found, for instance, here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=9434;start=0
The best things in life are free.

Sting

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2004, 01:51:33 AM »
Thanks, “Eddy, Lee 16 and Technical” for your help.    I’ll give your suggestions a try.     Being new and not really knowing “anything” about Avast, sometimes it’s easier to ask those who are famaliar with the product, verse trying to find answers yourself in “help”, or under other menu items.    Especially when it comes down to a virus protection program.     I’d rather be “safe” then “sorry”.      Thanks again for your time and help.

Sting

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2004, 04:29:12 AM »
Well I set Avast to run daily with Task Scheduler.      And to test it, I set it to run a few minutes past what the current time was.    When the time came that I had selected, Avast did start up.     But it just showed the splash screen it does when you click on it.    I had to manually click the “Local Disk” Icon, then click on “start”.    So with the Free edition, I guess there isn’t a setting that I can choose where if I have it set to run daily that when it does startup, it will automatically start scanning what I had previously selected?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2004, 04:38:13 AM »
Did you use ashQuick for the scheduling?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2004, 01:14:06 PM »
I guess there isn’t a setting that I can choose where if I have it set to run daily that when it does startup, it will automatically start scanning what I had previously selected?

You're using the Simple User Interface (skin) or ashSimple.exe and not the ashQuick.exe. You can't 'save' previous settings into the Simple User Interface, only in Professional version.

See the link I posted before for more info: tp://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=3796

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Perseverance Furthers...
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2004, 04:27:03 PM »
 :) Hi ! Yeh I'm new to Avast! also. Well I've been using it for around 10 months now. But only just joined the Forum. The best suggestion i have Sting is to open the Avast help file , and read the "settings " section. I'm pretty lazy, but the read was well worth it ! ;) I now have avast set as I want , and feel like I know what's going on. I spent about an hour setting up, and it was easier than I expected. Good luck! It does seem daunting at first, but reading seems to be the only way to go, whether with Windows, or any computer related subjects.
 I must try the 'search' function as advised by Eddy, i'm feeling like I've hit the jackpot joining this Forum, heaps of Links and useful tools and information. I'm spreading the word  ;D. I actually first heard of the Home Edition in my local T.V. guide's computer section. As I'm studying Electronic and Computer Engineering a Free helping hand is invaluable. Thanks avast team !

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2004, 09:42:46 PM »
So, Abraxas, you discover us  ;)
Welcome aboard  :)
Feel free to ask any doubt about avast. Talking about settings, you can try the link on my signature  8)

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Perseverance Furthers...
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2004, 07:51:42 PM »
 :) Thanks for your welcome Technical . I've been looking at your "Links to just about everything" thread.
Being a poor student / Father, any freebies are gems to me. I notice a lot of links from your thread hit PCworld.
I've been sifting through their site over the last month, and are happy to 'unsubscribe' to their Email newsletters, which seem to be endless  :D
Now I'm happy to just run around here like a kid in a candy store ! (No offense to PCWorld  :) )