Author Topic: Version 7 - OK I am done  (Read 10658 times)

urdrwho

Version 7 - OK I am done
« on: April 30, 2012, 02:58:18 AM »
How do a clean I uninstall of Avast.  I've used Avast for a long time but version 7 isn't happening for me.  First my desktop was having issues so I disabled web shields to get my speed back.

Today I had to do some network changes which meant rebooting my laptop.  Now my laptop is moving slower...unless I disable web shields.

This all started with the last program update.

Win 7 - desktop
WIN XP - SP3 - laptop

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Version 7 - OK I am done
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 03:30:57 AM »
- Download the latest version of avast, 7.0.1426 http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/avast_free_antivirus_setup.exe and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again (if you didn't save your last download). Use that when you reinstall.

- Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, aswClear.exe find it here and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for 5.x, 6.0.x and 7.0.x).
  • 1. Now uninstall avast! (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility from safe mode, first for 6.x if previously installed and then for 7.0, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ituser

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 05:36:31 AM »
The latest program update has been a nightmare for XP SP3. I'd suggest removing avast until they fix the issue.

Gargamel360

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 06:01:02 AM »
The latest program update has been a nightmare for XP SP3. I'd suggest removing avast until they fix the issue.
Yes, and you are apparently the authority on XP SP3, to hades with all the people who are using it without a problem. ::)

ituser

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 06:12:10 AM »
Yes, and you are apparently the authority on XP SP3, to hades with all the people who are using it without a problem. ::)

Every XP SP3 Machine I have seen in the last 2 weeks running Avast! Free has had the problem of freezing at startup until Avast! is either removed or reinstalled. That's enough reason for me to suggest removal until fixed for the majority of customers I support until the issue appears resolved.

Gargamel360

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 07:00:40 AM »
I don't suppose there is anything these systems all share in common beside XP SP3?

urdrwho

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 01:04:50 PM »
No there isn't a common link because I started the thread with Windows 7 problems.

After years of using Avast,  I uninstalled, performed a clean install and Avast 7 was still a PITA. 

I finally completely uninstalled it and went with Avira, a program I used before Avira.  Did speed tests on each computer and there was no throttling if speed, everything was fine.

There were a lot of hits when doing a search about Avast and speed issues.

I don't suppose there is anything these systems all share in common beside XP SP3?

guestja

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 02:01:18 PM »
I have win XP SP3 and am also experiencing a much longer startup recently (running the latest version of Avast)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 02:18:36 PM »
Startup on my XP Pro system timed it the other day just under a minute.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

iroc9555

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 02:31:19 PM »
My XP Spk3 loading 46 processes and Comodo, MBAM, WinPatrol, PAL, and Creativeand Web cam about 1 min. Wait for download updates 1.25 min.

AdrianH

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 04:23:17 PM »
I have win XP SP3 and am also experiencing a much longer startup recently (running the latest version of Avast)

Try reseting the Windows Firewall to defaults and run a boot time defrag.

yongxian

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2012, 05:31:49 AM »
I felt compelled to respond to this thread.

look at the system u r running on, u probably have lots of excessive bandwidth to spare for inefficient programmings.
My core 2  w/ 4GB rams runs with no problem though i do notice significant slow down than version 6. My older systems start slowing down until I disabled active protections. I now assume u need at least 2GB ram to run avast! 7. That's not including the adware avast is becoming. 

I know it is hard for evangelists to come and accept the reality that avast 7 has gone the wrong path. Reminds me of Norton. I think version 4.8 was the best, but for every update I notice significant performance cuts. It was negligible, not anymore.

I'm uninstalling avast from all my system after I finish trialing MSE.

AdrianH

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2012, 10:57:59 AM »
I felt compelled to respond to this thread.

look at the system u r running on, u probably have lots of excessive bandwidth to spare for inefficient programmings.
My core 2  w/ 4GB rams runs with no problem though i do notice significant slow down than version 6. My older systems start slowing down until I disabled active protections. I now assume u need at least 2GB ram to run avast! 7. That's not including the adware avast is becoming. 

I know it is hard for evangelists to come and accept the reality that avast 7 has gone the wrong path. Reminds me of Norton. I think version 4.8 was the best, but for every update I notice significant performance cuts. It was negligible, not anymore.

I'm uninstalling avast from all my system after I finish trialing MSE.

I have an 8 year old Dell desktop running Win7 Ultimate and Avast 7 (AIS) , Pentium 4 and only 1GB Ram ...... it works fine and has no issues booting up. An old Acer laptop running XP Pro and avast7 free along with Private Firewall has no issues for its spec. I suspect those with an issue are having conflicts with other software.

pectillin

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2012, 06:23:25 PM »

Same.  Still using XP SP3, dual core athlon 5600+, 2 g ram, 72% free space on HDD, run CCleaner daily, run disk cleanup once a week, check and defrag (if needed) once a month, don't have a zillion extras.  I also pull the cover and dust everything out once a month (old house, computer only a couple inches off the floor, have a cat so dust can build up quickly).

Avast 7 has really slowed my start up time, then I have to sit and wait for updating process to finish before I can do anything (I can click, but just get hourglass until Avast is done updating) and my shut down time has gotten really slow.  Yes I shut down every night when I'm done.  This wasn't the case until Version 7.  Currently running V. 7.0.1426

cjherlihy

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2012, 12:49:07 AM »
Not too far behind you on tossing avast to the side. I just recently bought 2 licenses for the pro version.  And I am on my second installation since my web browsing has slowed to a crawl on Windows 7 Pro SP1

This appears to be a common thing when I started researching it and reading posts here and on other forums about it.

At this point I uninstalled, used the aswclear app, now reinstalling but without WebShield to see if any difference.  If not, looks like I will be requesting a refund and moving on.  Never had this issue with the free version on Windows 7.  I thought I'd step up and support avast, but the pro version has issues apparently.