Author Topic: trial version causing internet connection problems?  (Read 2234 times)

amykitty8

trial version causing internet connection problems?
« on: May 02, 2012, 03:51:58 PM »
I was running Avast free and Malwarebytes pro with exclusions set as per malwarebytes for both. I am now trying the trial of the paid version of Avast. It seems I have been having trouble ever since I started the trial with connecting to our router.  Is it because of the firewall? Do I need to stop either windows or avast firewall? and if it is the firewall why is it a problem with the trial version and not the free?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: trial version causing internet connection problems?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 04:06:35 PM »
But which are the problems?
avast! firewall can run side by side with Windows one.
The best things in life are free.

amykitty8

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 05:07:57 PM »
OK. So is there any insight why I would have problems connecting automatically to our router, but actually its not just automatically. When it doesn't connect automatically sometimes I can connect manually and some times I can't. I have shut off avast when having trouble connecting manually and then it connected. I would like to to buy the version but if its going to cause problems there is no point. Plus I would go back to free and see if the problem is fixed but then I loose the good price for the pro version, thats why asking if there is a known reason or thoughts on this. Thanks.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 05:22:55 PM »
Look, avast! (AIS) is just a firewall and does not change any network settings. It's difficult to say... Maybe you can set your firewall to "Home" level (and not Public) to enable the connection of more services and check.

amykitty8

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 06:33:12 PM »
ok thanks. I will see what I can figure.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 09:47:32 PM »
amykitty8, I was thinking about... Which firewall did you use before AIS?
Maybe you can try an installation from scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. (Optional) If you want, save your avast! settings for later restoration (Settings > Maintenance > Back up).
4. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
5. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1 in Safe Mode. Boot after you've run it. Repeat this for any major avast! version you have ever installed/upgraded in your computer.
6. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
7. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro. Or even upgrade your key from old versions.
8. Check and post the results. If, for any reason, you did not solve, try doing the step 3 in Safe Mode anyway.