Author Topic: Firewall blocking e-mail  (Read 3409 times)

Snike

Firewall blocking e-mail
« on: May 06, 2012, 07:46:08 PM »
When I activate the firewall and allow the e-mail icon by highlighting all three connection options and clicking allow, I am unable to connect to my e-mail service which is a pop3.
If I turn off the firewall I can connect no problem.
There obviously something that needs to be "allowed" however I have no idea what it is, any suggestions to overcome this problem. At the moment if I want to get my e-mails the firewall must be off!
E-mails via google or yahoo work with the firewall on it is just my pop3 account, which is plusnet and the message is "unable to connect to relay.plus.net"

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
Re: Firewall blocking e-mail
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 09:19:04 PM »
Hi,

try enabling all the system groups at the bottom of the firewall list and see if that helps.

Filip

Snike

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 11:56:45 AM »
Filip,
Tried your suggestion and it now works, however, the system groups seem to be allowing about 50 unknown applications, have I now allowed basically everything negating the use of the firewall?

Regards

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 01:27:15 PM »
Not really, applications you installed are still blocked, only system services are allowed now. You can try disabling the groups one by one and see which one is needed for the email to work. There should be description of each of the group but I think there is a bug in the latest version preventing the description to be displayed so can't give you any hint at the moment :(

Filip