Author Topic: avast is not loyal for Linux  (Read 19259 times)

tkt

avast is not loyal for Linux
« on: May 20, 2012, 09:17:22 PM »
i am a big fan of avast. my windows pc & android have avast. avast develop antivirus for windows, mac, android but not for Linux, why? avast 4 for linux is too old & i think it download whole virus data base each time it update. and it also not working in latest Linux distribution. today Linux is first going as os on desktop, laptop, tab. i request avast team to develop a better antivirus for Linux.   

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Perseverance Furthers...
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
Re: avast is not loyal for Linux
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 06:50:10 PM »
Hi tkt, I'd like to help with your feelings about Avast!. I use the Linux version on PCLinuxOS and have no problems.
"...avast 4 for linux is too old & i think it download whole virus data base each time it update."
We have to realise a few things. Linux does not come under attack as often as "windows pc & android", plus Avast! 4 Linux has a basic UI (User Interface), which may be misleading, but it has all the features you need... Unlikely but; If you have skills in programming you could create a GUI and submit to Avast! to see if it is acceptable to them. Sometimes I feel people look at Avast! for Linux and immediately feel it is no good as the GUI is so simple. It's just an effective Virus scanner for Linux. It plays a small part in the Linux defence against Malware.

I can assure you that the database is current when you update, it may be cleaned out if say you use a Temp file cleaner, I don't know. I have a ADSL2+ connection and find it takes at most a minute to update the Database.

Basically I use Avast! 4 Linux to protect my Windows friends. I may scan weekly, or FtNightly, as most Windows Users should have their Systems well protected.

Linux users generally are very well protected by the nature of the Operating System, plus utilising good habits, like not Logging In as root; and not using 'SUDO', therefore Avast! don't feel there is a need to develop Avast! 4 Linux to the type of standard it does for Windows, I feel personally, as their are not the same threats.

The big picture: MS Windows OS users total about 90 to 95% of the online market, the rest is shared between Linux Distros, and Apple Users.

it also not working in latest Linux distribution. today Linux is first going as os on desktop, laptop, tab. i request avast team to develop a better antivirus for Linux.   
What Linux Distro do you run would be a good place to start  ;)

Edited -- Spelling--Abraxas
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 06:51:49 PM by Abraxas »

asammartin

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 02:01:11 AM »
I am having the same problems. I have attempted to install on Fedora 16 and 17. I am not even able to register the product. The registration window comes up with an unusable textbox.

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 12:26:24 PM »
Hi asammartin;

if you would like to give some information such as what you have attempted to do in a 'actual step by step form', not just; "I have attempted to install on Fedora 16 and 17.", it'll be heaps easier to help you with your problem.

Kind Regards

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 10:03:55 AM »
Hi forum friends,

I stumbled onto this quote taken from SecureMecca blog by article author Hertz Hobbit. I give it here as an issue to consider for discussion.
Microsoft's Safe Boot Initiative

Regarding Microsoft's safe boot initiative, some if not most of it is nothing more than a brazen attempt to keep people from being able to use Microsoft Windows and Linux on the same system.  May I humbly suggest that requiring BIOS MBR write protect will do infinitely more good?  In fact, the United States government should mandate the BIOS write protect of the MBR (and it would be nice for the SBR) with an on or off option should be required for all products purchased by the government where it is applicable.  The systems should be delivered with MBR protection turned on.  That would provide infinitely more protection than anything that is put into Microsoft Windows and Microsoft knows it.

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 07:43:22 AM »
Hi there polonus, long time no see.  ;) It is pretty quite in this part of the forum, really the issue of Windows 8, and problems with Booting Linux should be in another Thread, however doesn't really matter.
I use only PCLinuxOS these days, no Windows at all  :)

Thus there has been much duscussion on the Topic you have raised on the PCLOS Forums.
People may be interested in some further discourse about the matter so I've serached some links from the PCLOS Forum:
Windows 8 OEM specs may block Linux booting

Linus Torvalds on Windows 8, UEFI

UEFI On Linux Is Like A Pathogen

As you can see there is concern, and some answers.

Regards,

Abraxas

AdrianH

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 08:48:36 PM »
Hi there polonus, long time no see.  ;) It is pretty quite in this part of the forum, really the issue of Windows 8, and problems with Booting Linux should be in another Thread, however doesn't really matter.

Regards,

Abraxas

I am just in the process of setting up PCLinuxOS again, it has certainly made huge strides in the last 3 years. I was wondering if you run an AV system at all in your set up?

MAG

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2012, 09:51:18 PM »

I am just in the process of setting up PCLinuxOS again, it has certainly made huge strides in the last 3 years. I was wondering if you run an AV system at all in your set up?

You'll. also note some significant recent changes in cast at PCLOS recently. Sproggy (developer of xfce) and Melodie (openbox) have gone. Also Hootiegibbon (mod), also I think Linuxera (Enlightenment) and some others. Texstar is taking a health break.

In my (fairly recent) experience the LXDE and KDE desktop distros still seem very solid though.

I run ClamAV (to check for windows malware). It's in the PCLOS repos. I recall you have to modify freshclam (ie update) config file to get to work.

(I've actually moved on to Ubuntu 12.04 LTS at present though).

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2012, 02:39:30 PM »

Regards,

Abraxas

Yeah I use Avast! 4 Linux workstations.http://www.avast.com/en-au/linux-home-edition#tab1
I would not trust Clam AV really to be up to the task.

Honestly PCLinuxOS DE's are pretty much Bullet proof and although mag is correct about Texstar having a 'break', plus others; new very competent (Advanced Members) packagers are doing a great job preparing for a New Update.

PCLOS is a 'Rolling Release', it just keeps updating from it's Repos, with about a six month break between major releases.
It's strength lies in the fact that we only install from our Repos, installing a package from outside the Repos will in time destroy your System as a lot of testing is done with our packages to be completely compliant with all aspects of the PCLinuxOS Architecture, and Kernel's. Makes life a lot easier just updating tailored packages from Synaptic for the common User.  ;)

Sometimes over the years I would do a 'Clean Install' when a new release is available, however not really neccessary.

I was wondering if you run an AV system at all in your set up?
Really just as a Token Gesture, over 6 Years never even had a wiff of a Virus actually, I do scan monthly out of interest actually, with Avast!

We posted a great Tutorial for installing Avast! on PCLOS.

Direct Link:
EDIT- Please note new Link:  http://sparewotw.wordpress.com/2011/07/08/avast-antivirus-home-edition-on-pclinuxos-2011-6/
Site is work of AndrzejL, Avast member, Advanced Linux User.
Noodle about his site, there's some good info to be found regarding many pertinent issues.  :)
Regards,
Abraxas.  ;)

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=91887.0
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 07:52:12 PM by Abraxas »

AdrianH

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2012, 07:42:10 PM »
Thank you both mag and Abaraxas for the information , that will be of great help.

I was  PCLOS user for a long time from pre P92 days up to and beyond P93 and contributed funds to the project, I had to go back to Win7 for a few things I was working on and that combined with previous "fall out" and unpleasantness on the forum there I just stopped using it. PCLOS has lost some very talented people several times over now, let's hope it all works out for the best.

( Clamav has found java exploits in my Opera cache already, I know it won't be a problem on the Linux box but I would hate to have anything pass on to someone else.)

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2012, 09:14:47 AM »
PCLOS has lost some very talented people several times over now, let's hope it all works out for the best.
Don't worry, Texstar is still around, just a very well deserved break plus others have stepped up to take on new challenges. There is plenty of work going on for all levels of PCLOS users, Testing, etc., plus excitement for new releases in the future. :)

I noticed in a poll PCLinuxOS was way up there with Linux Distros, such as Mint.

More importantly
; if you are Dual-Booting Win 7 with Linux, personally I would have Avast! Home (free) or Pro on Win7, plus generally these days Routers have a Firewall, or your ISP does. You need a Firewall in Windows.
You have to think exactly how any other Widows User would, just because you're Dual Booting with Linux does not help Windows, except when not using Windows, but Linux. ;D

You can't think because you have Linux on a Partition on your Hard Drive that it adds any Security to your Windows OS, especially there is a danger of infecting yourself passing files from your Linux partitions to Windows.
From the before mentioned Tutorial for installing Avast! on PCLOS. (for the .rpm Avast! 4 Workstations)
Yes yes yes… I know… Linux does not needs antivirus software. True. BUT then – if You are dualbooting with Windows You may want to be able to check the other OS once in a while… Rootkits / malware / spyware / rougeware / viruses and so on and so forth… Even if You are not dualbooting another way of using this would be to use Your remaster to check Your computers at home that are using Windows from the LiveCD / LiveDVD level… Seems useful right? You can access the Windows partitions with read / write permissions under Your PCLinuxOS. Nastiness cannot hide itself from the antivirus with few entries in the registry… Sounds really good… So how does one installs Avast on the PCLinuxOS…

( Clamav has found java exploits in my Opera cache already, I know it won't be a problem on the Linux box but I would hate to have anything pass on to someone else.)
Could you please clarify if this was in Linux, and whether you uploaded to https://www.virustotal.com/, or some other online File Scanner to verify they weren't False Positives please. :)
However, cleaning your Java Cache should be done regularly anyway, plus I'm not sure if you are speaking of Linux, or Win. If using Firefox, No Script is an option, plus also to tackle another issue I've been using another Addon; 'Better Privacy' for cleaning of Flash cookies.

From my experience over five years approx using soley linux machines you would probably only be able to infect a Windows user by P2P, file sharing, and Email.
You could easily infect your Windows partition however, so really study the Windows area of The Avast! Forum to get the best protection for your Windows OS.

I have installed Avast!4 Linux Workstations, but rely that most windows users should have sufficent  protection against Malware, which takes much of my altruistic feelings of 'Protecting Windows Users' via a AV on my Linux Distro a bit of a Myth.  ;)

Regards,

Abraxas.

p.s. Please start new threads specific to a problem so you can receive the best of support.  ;)
Also, Avast is not very loyal for Linux !
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 08:02:12 PM by Abraxas »

AdrianH

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2012, 09:11:23 PM »
Yes the java issue was in Opera12 on the Linux install. It is a known Java exploit that affects Windows and Clamav caught it, I did have the same a while back on the Win7 partition which has AIS7 onboard.

Anyway Clamav is gone and Avast4 installed, gradually finding all I need for everyday use so the Linux partition is now default at boot  ;D

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 06:56:18 PM »
I have nothing against ClamAv, I used it a long time ago on Windows, back then it was not the greatest however I don't want to insult the product, plus you know I'm familiar with Avast!
Good move AdrianH  :)

AdrianH

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2012, 08:06:47 AM »
i am a big fan of avast. my windows pc & android have avast. avast develop antivirus for windows, mac, android but not for Linux, why? avast 4 for linux is too old & i think it download whole virus data base each time it update. and it also not working in latest Linux distribution. today Linux is first going as os on desktop, laptop, tab. i request avast team to develop a better antivirus for Linux.

I have installed avast4 on PCLinuxOS and it seems pretty good to me, the GUI may look plain but fancy designs don't make a good security system.  I get auto updates and they are quick, scheduled scans work if you want them and choices for scan areas clear and simple to use, what more can you need/want?

(I like the comment in the Synaptic Package manager against a security app, " Provided for bored ex Windows users that just have to be scanning something"   :D  )

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2012, 09:18:29 AM »
(I like the comment in the Synaptic Package manager against a security app, " Provided for bored ex Windows users that just have to be scanning something"   :D  )
Lol, yeah that's Chkrootkit. ;D Bit of a tongue in cheek , pun, as it actually does scan important areas !
EXAMPLE:
[root@localhost user]# /usr/sbin/chkrootkit -p
ROOTDIR is `/'
Checking `amd'... not found
Checking `basename'... not infected
Checking `biff'... not found
Checking `chfn'... not infected
Checking `chsh'... not infected
Checking `cron'... not infected
Checking `crontab'... not infected
Checking `date'... not infected
Checking `du'... not infected
Checking `dirname'... not infected
Checking `echo'... not infected
Checking `egrep'... not infected
Checking `env'... not infected
Checking `find'... not infected
Checking `fingerd'... not found
Checking `gpm'... not found
Checking `grep'... not infected
Checking `hdparm'... not infected
Checking `su'... not infected
Checking `ifconfig'... not infected
Checking `inetd'... not tested
Checking `inetdconf'... not found
Checking `identd'... not found
Checking `init'... not infected
Checking `killall'... not infected
Checking `ldsopreload'... not infected
Checking `login'... not infected
Checking `ls'... not infected
Checking `lsof'... not found
Checking `mail'... not infected
Checking `mingetty'... not infected
Checking `netstat'... not infected
Checking `named'... not found
Checking `passwd'... not infected
Checking `pidof'... not infected
Checking `pop2'... not found
Checking `pop3'... not found
Checking `ps'... not infected
Checking `pstree'... not infected
Checking `rpcinfo'... not infected
Checking `rlogind'... not found
Checking `rshd'... not found
Checking `slogin'... not infected
Checking `sendmail'... not found
Checking `sshd'... not infected
Checking `syslogd'... not infected
Checking `tar'... not infected
Checking `tcpd'... not infected
Checking `tcpdump'... not infected
Checking `top'... not infected
Checking `telnetd'... not found
Checking `timed'... not found
Checking `traceroute'... not found
Checking `vdir'... not infected
Checking `w'... not infected
Checking `write'... not infected
Checking `aliens'... no suspect files
Searching for sniffer's logs, it may take a while... nothing found
Searching for HiDrootkit's default dir... nothing found
Searching for t0rn's default files and dirs... nothing found
Searching for t0rn's v8 defaults... nothing found
Searching for Lion Worm default files and dirs... nothing found
Searching for RSHA's default files and dir... nothing found
Searching for RH-Sharpe's default files... nothing found
Searching for Ambient's rootkit (ark) default files and dirs... nothing found
Searching for suspicious files and dirs, it may take a while...
/usr/lib/purple-2/perl/auto/Purple/.packlist
/usr/lib/pidgin/perl/auto/Pidgin/.packlist

Searching for LPD Worm files and dirs... nothing found
Searching for Ramen Worm files and dirs... nothing found
Searching for Maniac files and dirs... nothing found
Searching for RK17 files and dirs... nothing found
Searching for Ducoci rootkit... nothing found
Searching for Adore Worm... nothing found
Searching for ShitC Worm... nothing found
Searching for Omega Worm... nothing found
Searching for Sadmind/IIS Worm... nothing found
Searching for MonKit... nothing found
Searching for Showtee... nothing found
Searching for OpticKit... nothing found
Searching for T.R.K... nothing found
Searching for Mithra... nothing found
Searching for LOC rootkit... nothing found
Searching for Romanian rootkit... nothing found
Searching for HKRK rootkit... nothing found
Searching for Suckit rootkit... nothing found
Searching for Volc rootkit... nothing found
Searching for Gold2 rootkit... nothing found
Searching for TC2 Worm default files and dirs... nothing found
Searching for Anonoying rootkit default files and dirs... nothing found
Searching for ZK rootkit default files and dirs... nothing found
Searching for ShKit rootkit default files and dirs... nothing found
Searching for AjaKit rootkit default files and dirs... nothing found
Searching for zaRwT rootkit default files and dirs... nothing found
Searching for Madalin rootkit default files... nothing found
Searching for Fu rootkit default files... nothing found
Searching for ESRK rootkit default files... nothing found
Searching for rootedoor... nothing found
Searching for ENYELKM rootkit default files... nothing found
Searching for common ssh-scanners default files... nothing found
Searching for suspect PHP files... nothing found
Searching for anomalies in shell history files... nothing found
Checking `asp'... not infected
Checking `bindshell'... not infected
Checking `lkm'... chkproc: nothing detected
chkdirs: nothing detected
Checking `rexedcs'... not found
Checking `sniffer'... eth0: PF_PACKET(/sbin/dhclient)
Checking `w55808'... not infected
Checking `wted'... chkwtmp: nothing deleted
Checking `scalper'... not infected
Checking `slapper'... not infected
Checking `z2'... chklastlog: nothing deleted
Checking `chkutmp'...  The tty of the following user process(es) were not found
 in /var/run/utmp !
! RUID          PID TTY    CMD
! root          785 tty8   /etc/X11/X :0 vt8 -deferglyphs 16 -nolisten tcp -auth
/var/run/xauth/A:0-shzLha
chkutmp: nothing deleted
Checking `OSX_RSPLUG'... not infected
[root@localhost user]#

There are Security features in KDE PCLOS AdrianH; which you can either turned ON, or OFF.
I wouldn't "Play" with these settings, but it's good to have a simple System Check, each day.

MSEC security check
Open Configure Your Computer by clicking on its ICON on the Left of the Panel.
You'll have to put in your root Password.
Once the PCLinuxOS Control Center opens, go to > Security -- on the Left list of options.
Choose, Configure System Security, Permissions and Audit.
The first Tab is MSEC: Basic Security -- Basic Security Tab.
See the Pic: Check as shown; Enable MSEC, AND Standard. This will then run Security checks on a Daily Basis on your System. It may already be selected by Default.

Regards

Abraxas.