Author Topic: Registration Demands  (Read 3568 times)

Trousersnake

Registration Demands
« on: May 27, 2012, 02:29:44 AM »
I'm not sure what planet you live on, but it seems a little rude for an update notification to take window focus automatically. To my knowledge I have never seen an update application do this....until now. I'm sick to the back teeth of updates for programs, but when an application changes the window focus, that crosses the line. I would actually like to use my PC instead of constantly installing updates.

BAM -

Tell you what, why not explain clearly on your web site the conditions during registration, and how registration works? I sign up for 12 months and after 11 months I get constantly spammed with nagware to re-register.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Registration Demands
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 04:15:41 AM »
You mean you've registrated for free and use avast for 11 months?
It's time to register (for free) again or upgrade to the paid version.
This is how it works.

Click on Maintenance, than Registration for online registering.
1) Open Avast.
2) Click on "Maintenance" then "Registration".
3) Fill out the form for your license key and click "Submit".

Inserting the license key into: avast! Free Antivirus, avast! Pro Antivirus and avast! Internet Security.

Resend purchased license: http://www.avast.com/en-eu/resend-license-paid.php
More info about registration: https://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=1073
The best things in life are free.

Offline AntiVirusASeT

• Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 05:06:38 AM »
it is an extremely important warning because after expiration, ur avast will not be able to update (virus database and program)

u will become increasingly vulnerable to threats while using the computer...thus there is no reason why it should not be a priority to re-register ur free license.

therefore, changing screen focus should get u to do it as soon as possible - thats the point

Trousersnake

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 11:00:45 AM »
it is an extremely important warning because after expiration, ur avast will not be able to update (virus database and program)
OK, you don;t really know what you're talking about.
Yep I understand the above, but as I asked where are the registration rules and why should an update application take focus in this manor, it's not like I'm trying to use my PC constructively or anything, constant updated popups are annoying, especially when they take window focus away from the users application. While I was posting this......  guess what - BAM idiocy. Twatholes!
Hello

See the OP, why any application would do this pretty stupid.

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 11:55:05 AM »
Your point would be better made without 'dissing' my planet.
Yes, the registration expiration warning (which is also an attempt to sell you the retail product) could be annoying, especially so, if a user is committed to keep using the product right up to the last day without re- registering.
Is there a reason why you're holding out till the very end?
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Offline AntiVirusASeT

• Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2012, 02:44:54 PM »
@Trousersnake: u are the one not understanding me...

my ans to ur questions...
Qn:
I asked where are the registration rules and why should an update application take focus in this manor

Ans:
it is an extremely important warning because after expiration, ur avast will not be able to update (virus database and program).........therefore, changing screen focus should get u to do it as soon as possible - thats the point

Qn:
To my knowledge I have never seen an update application do this....until now. I'm sick to the back teeth of updates for programs, but when an application changes the window focus, that crosses the line. I would actually like to use my PC instead of constantly installing updates.

Ans:
u will become increasingly vulnerable to threats while using the computer...thus there is no reason why it should not be a priority to re-register ur free license.

as for registration rules, they are not needed...normally people would immediately renew their free licenses to avoid seeing that splash screen again.
firstly, this removes the nag screen. secondly, this allows avast to continue to protect them for one more year (which is one of the purpose of the nag screen...the other purpose is to promote their paid versions).

edit: why does this splash screen comes up after only 11 months +, instead of 12 months exact? think about what happens if the user switch off his computer for long periods of time - say for a vacation of 2 weeks? and it so happens that avast license will expire before the user comes back?
when the user comes back, avast will be unable to update due to an expired license and he access webpages without full protection. what if the user visits a compromised page before re-registering avast then? he will now be officially infected...
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 03:05:02 PM by AntiVirusASeT »