Author Topic: problems with my new avast internet security 7  (Read 51843 times)

jeffce

Re: problems with my new avast internet security 7
« Reply #105 on: June 06, 2012, 03:12:05 AM »
Hi,

Are you asking if you need to remove OTL...if so yes.  Did you follow the instructions I gave you for removing OTL earlier? 

bambibear

« Reply #106 on: June 06, 2012, 03:56:28 AM »
i got no instructions on how to remove the OTL that i can see.  the only place i can find it is in my downloads where i also saved it when i first got it.   it is nowhere on my desktop or add/remove.   also, do i remove all that i mentioned before--aswMBR & revo uninstaller.?

i know i keep malwarebytes, ERUNT & INTREGOPT.

thanks, jeffce

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #107 on: June 06, 2012, 11:30:42 AM »
I think that you just have to run OTL again and select uninstall, that will I believe remove it and some of the other tools used in the analysis/cleaning.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

jeffce

« Reply #108 on: June 06, 2012, 01:57:34 PM »
Hi,

i got no instructions on how to remove the OTL that i can see

In Post #75 --->
Clean up with OTL:
Double-click OTL.exe to start the program.
Close all other programs apart from OTL as this step will require a reboot
On the OTL main screen, press the CLEANUP button
Say Yes to the prompt and then allow the program to reboot your computer.
----------
:)  If it is still hanging around go ahead and download a new copy like David said and then open OTL and on the main screen press Cleanup.  That will remove OTL and some of the other tools we used. 

If aswMBR is still there you can just send that to the Recycle Bin with anything else that you see that we used that you don't want. 

To remove Revo Uninstaller you can do so by going to Start >> Control Panel >> Programs and Features >> Revo Uninstaller and select this to uninstall it.  I hope that answers your questions.  :)

bambibear

« Reply #109 on: June 06, 2012, 05:13:58 PM »
good morning jeffce & davidr.

oh, those OTL instructions.  yea, i did that.  but to be sure, i'll run the one from my download folder again.  after rebooting  i'll reopen & do the uninstall.

will do revo thru my add/remove programs.

will also take care of the aswMBR.

thank you everyone for all the help.  i'll let you know if there are problems with the computer's behavior after i do the steps above later.

when i'm done with all those directions, i'll run the ERUNT & INTREGOPT, restarting after each.  thank you

bambibear

« Reply #110 on: June 07, 2012, 03:00:51 PM »
hi all.  the only problems i had was the ERUNT & the INTREGOPT.  they both kept saying access denied.  the ERUNT said it couldn't save anything to the folder, but it would try, & then everything was "access denied".  maybe i should just do the normal windows 7 backup like i was doing & also recommended by davidr ??

malwarebytes--no viruses.  avast--no viruses.  running a full avast scan now, then i'll do a boot scan as i've been adding my pictures back to my picture folder.

should i remove the ERUNT & INTREGOPT since they seem to be not working ?  thank you ;D

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #111 on: June 07, 2012, 03:09:17 PM »
I have never used ERUNT on my win7 system, so I can't comment on the access denied on trying to save to its folder. But I don't know exactly what it was you were doing when you got the access denied message ?

The other point, ERUNT isn't a full back-up function, it is backing up the registry settings only, so even if you kept that you would still have to do the win7 backup that you were doing.

Personally I don't feel that ERUNT is required if you are doing other regular backups that would include the registry.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

bambibear

« Reply #112 on: June 07, 2012, 04:12:53 PM »
hi davidr.  i was just trying to do a backup with the ERUNT, but i guess my system denied it.  will wait for jeffce to get back with me before removing, if that's what i should do, as i don't think it worked very well.

i found all my original system cd's for the windows 7 in my hp box, forgot i had them.  i still backup thru the windows backup, well i was doing that.  i did a backed up the other day, but when we're all done, i'll do an updated backup with my windows backup.  i love my windows 7, so cool !!! ;D

thank you davidt.  have a wonderful day, i'll be back later this afternoon. ;D

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #113 on: June 07, 2012, 04:28:13 PM »
You're welcome.

jeffce

« Reply #114 on: June 07, 2012, 09:11:32 PM »
Hi,

If you don't want to keep ERUNT that is you choice.  Like David said, it is just used for backing up the registry itself.  I had ran it so that if anything happened during our fixes we had something to back up with.  You can remove it through Start >> Control Panel >> Programs and Features. 

bambibear

« Reply #115 on: June 09, 2012, 02:56:24 AM »
hi davidr & jeffce.  i removed the ERUNT, no problems.  finally did a boot scan with avast this morning, checking all files.  all good !!  yea !!!!  you guys, everyone who helped & assisted me, are awesome !!!!!!!  thank you all soooo much !!!! ;D 8) :)

jeffce

« Reply #116 on: June 09, 2012, 04:53:17 AM »
You are more than welcome!  We are glad that we could help.  :)

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #117 on: June 10, 2012, 12:30:55 AM »
@ bambibear,

Tickled pink that your help went so well.

Glad for you (and for us).  Just be sure to get on a schedule of performing at least monthly backups (images) of your system to avoid all the work you had to do this time. 

Where there is a will, there is a way.

Feeling a little adventurous?

Ubuntu as a LIVE CD is great for getting files you want to keep should Win 7 ever fail to start by copying and backing up to a backup media and because of that restoring the latest image will remove these files.  Just do a search of all files newer than the last image backup.

Here:  https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD  Please note:  To avoid any complications, do not install Ubuntu, but instead choose to run 'Try Ubuntu without installing' when the keyboard/little man at the bottom of the screen pops up, click enter, in all cases.  That way you will not wind up with two operating systems on the same C:\ drive.  Just restart your system, cd will pop out, remove, and restart your system.  Does take a while to start Ubuntu on a cd as it is not exactly speedy.

Here:  http://www.ubuntu.com/download  Please do not install the Windows Installer unless you are sure of what you are doing.   :)
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

bambibear

« Reply #118 on: June 10, 2012, 05:46:27 AM »
hi jeffce & mchain. 

mchain, i'm thrilled beyond means.  soooo happy computer is acting right.  been a long time.  i hate hackers !!

i have scheduled the monthly image backup, or sooner if need be.

i'll check out the ubuntu, tomorrow. 

as fas as installing, anything,  i've never installed, that i know of, things that weren't recommended by hp &/or microsoft.  i don't download videos or music.

here, i've only done here what i was asked to do, via the forum.  granted, my system didn't like some, but those have been removed.

i'll not install the ubuntu, but first & foremost check it out.  if it's not windows 7 compatable, i've found out, it may not work right.

if it's compatable, i'll check it out.  thanks for the info, mchain.

you guys are the best.  ;D 8) :)    i'll let you know if ubuntu & i encounter troubles.

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #119 on: June 10, 2012, 03:31:59 PM »
Hi bambibear,
i'll let you know if ubuntu & i encounter troubles.

You shouldn't, as Ubuntu is a separate operating system.  When Ubuntu is run as a Live CD, Windows 7 is not running.  So there should be no conflict there.

However, if Windows 7 is a 64-bit system, (I suspect it is, from earlier logs) you may need the 64-bit version of Ubuntu for it to run as it should.

IF Ubuntu is installed within windows, it will behave as a normal windows program, but I do not recommend this, as you can have problems you do not need or want.

Run Ubuntu only as a Live CD, no problems.   :)
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801