Author Topic: can't understand anti theft  (Read 10141 times)

Joanelaine

can't understand anti theft
« on: May 28, 2012, 07:25:59 AM »
I've just installed Avast on my Android phone but I can't understand most of it. I particularly wanted the anti theft part but I don't see how it can "find my phone for me" if it should be stolen or lost. I've read the PDF till I'm going crazy. So, does this feature actually tell me where my phone is/the location of it should it be stolen?. I saw on TV where a lady had her cell stolen and she told the police they found it for her because she had a "tracking device on the phone". is this what Avast's anti theft does?. Also under Privacy Advisor it says "Track Location", these apps can track your location, that worries me, I don't want to be tracked, then Read Identity Info, these apps can read your mobile number, serial number or other data...thats a worry too. Don't understand when I tried to enable the Firewall I had to (but I didn't) enable the "root feature" whatever that is for. Also, what is stealth mode. I know it says to put a friends mobile number in the phone when trying to locate my phone if its lost or stolen but what good is that, just to send a sms? I don't see how that would find my phone.

I really just wanted 2 things, for my phone to be safe from malware/ viruses etc., and be able to "find my phone if someone steals it or I lose it.
I use Avast on my computers and thats why I chose it for my new phone. Don't understand the PDF so if someone has simple terms to explain how I can find my phone if stolen or lost. Plus do I have to enable the "root thing"?. Plus I don't want to be tracked according to the Privacy advisor.
Thank you for any help, I'm not usually so dumb,
Joan.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: can't understand anti theft
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 01:49:22 PM »
avast! antitheft can be traced by SMS and, of course, this is not a privacy concern as it is exactly what you want.
Root is not a feature, but an advanced state of the phone. I won't go for it if you're a simple user (not an advanced/experienced one).
Stealth mode is a hidden mode to avoid the thieve to uninstall the application and you lost your phone definitively.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Joanelaine

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 05:34:51 AM »
Thank you very much for responding and for the links. The only question I havde now is that when I tried to enable the Anti Theft part of Avast I was required to have "Rooting" enabled and I have chosen not to do this because it will negate my warranty on the phone too. The Anti Theft is the part I am most interested in. I phoned the makers of my phone...ZTE and they told me I don't need anti virus software but I like to be secure on all my products so don't know why they told me that. Now if I could just get past NOT rooting the phone for the anti theft I would be happy.
Must bookmark those links too, will come in handy I'm sure.
regards, Joan.

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 10:36:19 AM »
Hi,

it's not that you require rooted device for AAT to work. It's just an option. If you don't have a rooted device, just don't check the checkbox and continue with the installation.

Filip

Joanelaine

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 02:58:07 AM »
Many thanks will go ahead now. Sorry for not coming back before this,. computer problems.....again.
Regards,
Joan.

averagegalz

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 01:51:44 AM »
I have a T-mobile 4G My Touch. I just installed AVAST! It says could not acquire root access for the firewall; I need a rooted phone? How do I get that? I also can't access the anti- theft because it doesn't have permission to do Direct Write and the Binary 1 doesn't work either. I read all forums and don't understand most of them. Please help!

avastmobileguy

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 12:23:08 PM »
Averagegalz try uninstalling then reinstalling but this time use binary 2