Author Topic: Avast! 7 strikes av-comparatives again  (Read 13207 times)

true indian

Re: Avast! 7 strikes av-comparatives again
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2012, 05:50:42 PM »
hmm for me i do not find the static analysis triggered often though. i have more incidents of low reputation triggers. thus i trust static analysis quite highly.

though i do wonder why steam games do trigger static analysis. it would be good if an expert from avast shed some light on it  :)

Same here :)

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2012, 07:46:17 PM »
I haven't seen a trigger of the sandbox in many month.  :o
+1  The Behavior Shield should do more than just sit there.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2012, 08:49:02 PM »
I haven't seen a trigger of the sandbox in many month.  :o
But are you installing software, testing things... Otherwise, I don't think you'll see it screaming :)
The best things in life are free.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2012, 09:00:56 PM »
Unless you play indie games on Steam a lot. Then you'll see it a lot as well...
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2012, 09:05:08 PM »
I thought this thread was about useless (IMHO) controlled test results. The only results that matter to me is the one I do every time I use my laptop. Period.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Nesivos

« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2012, 10:48:53 PM »
My experience with avast! auto-sandbox has been very limited.  Since I installed version 7.0 it has been non-existent.

When I was running avast! AIS 6 on W7 Radio Sure would get auto-sandboxed.

When I replaced W7 with W8-DP I had to switch to Windows Defender.    Radio Sure ran fine with no problem.

When avast! AIS 7 was released I replaced Windows Defender with it on W8-CP which I had upgraded to from W8-DP.   avast! AIS 7 has never asked to auto-sandbox Radio Sure on W8-CP

One thing about W8-DP, W8-CP and I imagine the final release of W8 is that it does a very good job of checking the installation executable when you go to install a program.  In fact it has blocked a couple of 3rd party programs from installing that I wanted to install.   They could have been malicious hence a block or just not on Microsoft's Security Assurance list hence a block.   Since W8 is blocking programs from installing this could explain why I have never had avast! AIS 7 ask to auto-sandbox anything.  Whatever avast! is looking for as a possible auto-sandbox candidate W8 prevents from installing in the first place hence nothing for avast7 to find and auto-sandbox.

I have no idea of why Radio Sure was but is no longer being captured by auto-sandbox.   Could be a change in Radio Sure, a change in auto-sandbox and/or due to W8.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2012, 11:19:59 PM »
The only notice I've ever received in Windows 8 is that .exe files might harm your system.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

true indian

« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2012, 06:10:36 PM »
I thought this thread was about useless (IMHO) controlled test results. The only results that matter to me is the one I do every time I use my laptop. Period.  :)

Yep!

true indian

« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2012, 10:59:42 AM »
why not set behaviour shield to ask and then test it?  :P

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2012, 11:17:45 AM »
That's just useless that way. You may just as well spam the user with bunch of useless random questions/dialogs and call it a day...
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

true indian

« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2012, 01:15:40 PM »
That's just useless that way. You may just as well spam the user with bunch of useless random questions/dialogs and call it a day...

hmm.....well i had it on ask and a few days ago i was re-installing some things and it didnt alert on them...just alerted me on 7-zip re-install and all other software installed correctly   :P