Author Topic: Difference in most current VPS version (3 different current versions)  (Read 2443 times)

wpn

hi

I am deploying using the EPSP for my clients, all are program version 7.0.1438.

I noticed in the console that there are clients that are online but with different VPS versions. No big deal, not updated yet you would say.

I then manually updated the VPS on the client computer (via teamviewer tho, so not to much walking to the client).

The client tells me its up to date. Even tho i see in the console and on other clients there is a higher numbered VPS version.

I have now 4 VPS versions from which all the clients say they are up to date:

vps 1:  120612-1  (in the console shown as:  12061201-0 14-06-2012)
vps 2:  120613-0  (in the console shown as:  12061300-0 13-06-2012)
vps 3:  120614-0  (in the console shown as:  12061400-0 14-06-2012)

All clients report they have the latest version.

VPS2 is obviously not the latest version if you check the date.
VPS 1 is judged on the version number not the latest either.

Where is this coming from ?
I have not activated the streaming updates

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
This is similar to the regular stand alone avast versions, as a new incremental update occurs, a new VPS defs sub-folder is created. This contains the contents of the previous version plus the incremental update.

Generally the current version and the last version are retained and possibly the one before that. In the stand alone avast versions, the avast house keeping periodically removes the oldest VPS defs sub-folder. So I don't know how avast handles this housekeeping in the client versions.

Streaming updates are seen as a VPSnumber_Stream defs sub-folder when enabled.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

wpn

Didnt know that, thanks for this information

Still doesnt explain why different clients have a different version as their latest version.

Specially the one that has the VPS from 13-6 as the current one, its simply incorrect.
Have been doing manual updates several times during the day without changes

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
I don't know why there might be a difference on different clients. But reporting that 13-6 is the current when the latest would have been 14-6 (in your post), could be that there is an out of sync between what is reported and what is actually displayed.

On the stand alone versions a repair of avast has been know to resolve the out of sync condition (I don't know if this would be the same on a client system, if a repair can be done or not). If there is an out of sync condition, I just wonder if that might have a knock on effect on the avast housekeeping of old defs, VPS sub-folders.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security