Author Topic: repair of avast  (Read 7933 times)

selen

repair of avast
« on: June 20, 2012, 01:22:16 PM »
Hi, one week ago I done a repair af avast from control panel to solve a problem. All went good, but I have noticed that each time I try a repair the weight of avast on my hard disk C increase. Before the repair avast took about 252 MB on my hard disk, now after repair avast weight is 316 MB. Is there a reason for this increase?

Hellion

Re: repair of avast
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 01:32:00 PM »
Hi Selen,

I'm just a forum member, but I have some questions that could help in solving your issue.

You did the repair one week ago?

Please note there has been multiple definition updates during this time.

also what version are you running on?

selen

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 01:42:14 PM »
Hi Selen,

I'm just a forum member, but I have some questions that could help in solving your issue.

You did the repair one week ago?

Please note there has been multiple definition updates during this time.

also what version are you running on?

The VPS definitions have been correctly updated during this week, I have received the last update just this morning. I have avast 7.0.1426 and all is working well. In the past I done others repair to solve some issues and each time I noticed this increase in weight of the program. I'm curious to know why this happens.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 02:23:05 PM by selen »

selen

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 02:29:52 PM »
I really don't understand the reason of this great increase in weight. I have only used the repair function of the program, nothing else...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 02:47:45 PM »
During the Repair it will also have carried out an update check I believe.

So if you didn't have the latest virus definitions the update creates the 'new' virus definitions folder, this folder is essentially a copy of the previous/current virus definitions folder + the incremental update. The avast housekeeping periodically removes the old def sub-folders.

Each one of these sub-folders is quite large, so that could well account for the rise, this however, is a fluid thing as it will balance out as the old folders are removed in the avast housekeeping.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

selen

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 02:59:28 PM »
During the Repair it will also have carried out an update check I believe.

So if you didn't have the latest virus definitions the update creates the 'new' virus definitions folder, this folder is essentially a copy of the previous/current virus definitions folder + the incremental update. The avast housekeeping periodically removes the old def sub-folders.

Each one of these sub-folders is quite large, so that could well account for the rise, this however, is a fluid thing as it will balance out as the old folders are removed in the avast housekeeping.

I understand what you say, but my problem is that this increase in weight remains. It's not the first time that I try a repair of avast and each time this increase in weight has remained.I have noticed that avast removes periodically the old folders with old virus definitions, this happens each day... my problem is that  the program weight after a repair doesn't decrease. I have also noticed that after a repair avast creates a new icon on my desktop. This icon is a clone of the original icon. Is this normal?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 03:06:35 PM by selen »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 03:19:57 PM »
It will balance itself out over time, it must have decreased otherwise it would be even greater than the 316mb you mentioned. Think of the 252mb size as a base line, it should drop back down to that area, but after a virus definitions update (or repair) it is going to rise until the avast houskeeping removes the old defs sub-folder/s.

In all honesty in the bigger scheme of things (large hard drives) the extra 60mb is a drop in the ocean, but that is just me I rarely monitor one area of my hard disk, but look at it as a whole.

I don't know why the duplicate icon on the desktop, that in itself is a shortcut only to the program and you would have to hover over it (this shows the full path to the file it will run when you click it), to see if it is a true duplicate.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

selen

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 03:30:27 PM »
It will balance itself out over time, it must have decreased otherwise it would be even greater than the 316mb you mentioned. Think of the 252mb size as a base line, it should drop back down to that area, but after a virus definitions update (or repair) it is going to rise until the avast houskeeping removes the old defs sub-folder/s.

In all honesty in the bigger scheme of things (large hard drives) the extra 60mb is a drop in the ocean, but that is just me I rarely monitor one area of my hard disk, but look at it as a whole.

I don't know why the duplicate icon on the desktop, that in itself is a shortcut only to the program and you would have to hover over it (this shows the full path to the file it will run when you click it), to see if it is a true duplicate.

I remember that the first time I installed avast, 2 years ago, his weight was 139 MB on my hard disk. After a repair it become about 200 MB. After another repair 252 MB and with the last repair of one week ago 316 MB. For this reason I say that I think my avast has a problem. The growth has never decreased after a repair. talking about the clone icon I have tryed to open it and I see that it has all the functions of avast interface. I can see all avast menu and I can control all the options, like the original one. That's very strange :(

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 03:33:11 PM »
How about a clean reinstall, this would solve all "problems"... ;)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

selen

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 03:46:23 PM »
How about a clean reinstall, this would solve all "problems"... ;)

I have avast free on 3 computers, and this problem of increase of weight and clone icons has happened on all of them when I needed to use the repair function to solve some problems. So, about some months ago, I tryed also a complete reinstall of avast on one of this 3 pc. Unfortunatley nothing has changed, because when I tryed to do another repair the same problems came back. What can I do?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 04:01:35 PM by selen »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 04:41:27 PM »
Two years ago is a lifetime ago in terms of AV products, that could either have been avast 4.8 or avast 5, additional features have been added in avast 6 & 7 and things are done differently to try to speed things up.

selen

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2012, 06:26:19 PM »
Two years ago is a lifetime ago in terms of AV products, that could either have been avast 4.8 or avast 5, additional features have been added in avast 6 & 7 and things are done differently to try to speed things up.

Two years ago I had avast version 5, I know that things are changed with new versions, but this problem linked to the repair of avast exists since that date. Each time I done a repair I saw this increase in growth, but I thought it was a temporary problem and I deceided to ignore it. Now I have finally deceided to explain my problem here on this forum, just because it persists and also to see if other avast users have a similar issue.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2012, 07:05:35 PM »
I also think they were working in a much reliable repair function for the latest 7 beta.
Although, when I needed to use it, from de 42 to 43 beta it failed again :'(
The best things in life are free.

selen

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2012, 07:15:23 PM »
I also think they were working in a much reliable repair function for the latest 7 beta.
Although, when I needed to use it, from de 42 to 43 beta it failed again :'(

I hope this function will be improved in the future, that someone has experienced this kind of problems and can be able to fix it...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2012, 07:30:13 PM »

Two years ago I had avast version 5, I know that things are changed with new versions, but this problem linked to the repair of avast exists since that date. Each time I done a repair I saw this increase in growth, but I thought it was a temporary problem and I deceided to ignore it. Now I have finally deceided to explain my problem here on this forum, just because it persists and also to see if other avast users have a similar issue.

Sorry I honestly can see this at all, ignore what has gone before, avast 5&6. Avast 7 when installed is about 250MB on your hard drive, if you were seeing a permanent increase every time you used Repair then it would now be consuming much more.

A Repair shouldn't increase the size (other than I have mentioned if it also does a virus definitions update), but check the integrity of the installation, that may or may not mean 'replacing' a file/s that are damaged, etc. This would generally be replacing a file with one of the same size.

So I can't get a handle on this, a repair increasing the size by over 60mb and it never coming back down.

Since my last post with an image of my avast size Reply #4, I have had another avast update, now look at the size 315mb, wow what a massive jump. This is exactly as described the creation of the new defs sub-folder for the latest definitions. When the avast housekeeping does it job and removes old defs sub-folders it will drop again or there would be no way my other image would have been showing 235mb.