Author Topic: avast Mobile Security firewall  (Read 47695 times)

Raj.Kashyap

avast Mobile Security firewall
« on: December 11, 2011, 08:47:44 AM »
I recently installed the avast Mobile Security on Samsung Galaxy Ace 5830. When tried to enable the firewall but shows some error like need rooted install or check if enough permissions to avast. How to fix this?

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
Re: avast Mobile Security firewall
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 09:40:05 AM »
Hi Raj,

You're Android phone should be rooted to use the firewall, as seen here.

How to root an Android phone? And don't forget the warning in that page:

Rooting methods are always changing, especially with all the Android phones out there. Check out our always up-to-date rooting guide for the most recent information on rooting your particular device.

Top 10 Reasons To Root Your Android Phone
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 09:47:08 AM by nmb »

justforlove

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 12:40:10 PM »
Yes, avast Mobile Security will be in its most powerful function, especially its built-in firewall, when be installed in a rooted phone. This makes avast excellently standing out of these other security apps in the market  :-*

Tommy

cooby

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 09:38:43 PM »
But what if Avast! decides that a rooted device is a custom thing? They might not support custom ROMs.

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 01:57:43 PM »
Rooted devices and custom ROMs are slightly different things. If you take your stock ROM and just root it, you will change the privileges, but you won't change (almost) any of the system stuff. These rooted devices we support. If you install a custom ROM, you (usually) root your device and install a custom ROM which means certain parts of the system are different. These devices we will probably never officially support since everyone can build their own custom ROM (since Android sources are publicly available) and it is not possible to support all of them.

Filip

cooby

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 09:44:43 PM »
True. Thanks for clearing up that distinction some more.

ciib

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 04:55:47 PM »
I have recently installed Avast Mobile Beta and have tried to set up the firewall. My phone is rooted and it looks like everything works fine except I cant get it to connect to the internet when enabled. All apps work but it will not allow Avast to update or use the standard browser. I can use Dolphin Browser but not the standard and Facebook works. This tells me I am getting an internet connection but I keep getting no internet connection available when I try the browser or updating Avast.

I have the Samsung Charge phone, running GummyCharged GBE 2.1, firmware 2.3.4, kernel version 2.6.35.7-EP1.

Any ideas?

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 05:00:32 PM »
If you completely disable the firewall, everything works fine?

Filip

ciib

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 05:57:54 PM »
If you completely disable the firewall, everything works fine?

Filip

Yes when I disable it everything works great.

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 06:50:50 PM »
Oh so when the firewall is enabled, avast! can't access the internet? (I suppose you didn't block avast! itself in the firewall settings.)

Filip

ciib

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 08:23:04 PM »
Oh so when the firewall is enabled, avast! can't access the internet? (I suppose you didn't block avast! itself in the firewall settings.)

Filip

I have Avast and google browser set for full internet access on Wifi and 3g. As I said everything else works fine wehn I enable the firewall just these 2 things dont.

svehlak

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2011, 03:40:23 PM »
I am sorry, but I am little bit lost in translation; please be so kind and tell me the process in steps and what exactly does not work.

Thank you,

Jan

helpdeskneko

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2011, 05:09:55 PM »
I could be mistaken, but possibly the type of phone and data usage?
Your phone uses 4G LTE, only reason I mention it is because my friend had a similar issue on his Verizon phone, but he could kill his 4G and it would work fine on CDMA and wifi. 

Have you tried dropping off 4G? Silly I know but even when connected to Wifi certain communications are still performed over the 4G side. Might narrow down the possible options of issue. 

nashou

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2011, 07:15:02 PM »
Hi,

I have the same issue. When I enable the avast firewall all communications are blocked even I authorized in the firewall...

However all work fine with droidwall...

Regards

reinhardholzner

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2011, 11:41:07 AM »
please, anyone experiencing such issues please contact me at holzner (at) avast.com so that we can look at the issue more closely.