Author Topic: Avast IS 9 blocking network share, Java applications  (Read 14937 times)

mrkniceguy

Avast IS 9 blocking network share, Java applications
« on: November 06, 2013, 03:47:54 AM »
I've seen reports of this and Avast said it was dealt with, but I am still having problems.

System:
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
AMD FX-6300
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 805MHz (10-10-10-27)
Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. GA-970A-DS3 (Socket M2)

Issue: My local network shares work between other Win7 machines, but regular SMB share fails between my WD TV Live Hub and my PC.
Subsonic music streamer loads, but Avast will not allow any connections, including localhost/127.0.0.1
Minecraft server (local) will not allow connections to other computers on the network.

I've done a COMPLETE uninstall (using avastclear.exe in safe mode) and tried reinstalling Avast IS 9. I ALSO did an uninstall and installed Avast Free 8. Avast Free 8 worked just as it always had, but when I added the license file the application automatically updated to Avast 9.

How do I get this to work? I'm not going to leave my firewall off as that makes 90% of the problems go away. Installing 8 won't work if I update it.

I want to know if settings can be changed in Avast IS 9 to make these things work OR use the full version of Avast IS 8 while Avast figures out how to properly roll out the application.

Offline hectic-mmv

Re: Avast IS 9 blocking network share, Java applications
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 10:09:53 AM »
Please, whats your avast! version? - all these issues should be fixed in avast! 2014.9.0.2007

mrkniceguy

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 04:42:17 PM »
Please, whats your avast! version? - all these issues should be fixed in avast! 2014.9.0.2007
I am using the latest version. 2014.9.0.2007. The issues are not fixed.

mrkniceguy

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 05:30:37 PM »
I also reinstalled both 64bit and 32bit Java 7 update 45. Didn't fix it.

The specific error I get with Subsonic is java.io.IOException: Unable to establish loopback connection

SlyFox

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 05:46:57 PM »

The specific error I get with Subsonic is java.io.IOException: Unable to establish loopback connection

I am not connected to Avast, just another person who has their Internet Security installed on both of my computers.  Perhaps I can help you with your questions, if not then Please contact their Support.

I did a search on the web and found the following.  Perhaps it will solve your issue.

Please add subsonic_service.exe to trusted applications in your Firewall

Please let me know if this solved your issue?

mrkniceguy

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 06:13:00 PM »

I am not connected to Avast, just another person who has their Internet Security installed on both of my computers.  Perhaps I can help you with your questions, if not then Please contact their Support.

I did a search on the web and found the following.  Perhaps it will solve your issue.

Thanks for trying to help SlyFox. I've looked and looked and I don't see anywhere in AIS 9 to add a program to the firewall. Do you know where this setting is?

SlyFox

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 06:51:10 PM »

Thanks for trying to help SlyFox. I've looked and looked and I don't see anywhere in AIS 9 to add a program to the firewall. Do you know where this setting is?

Please go into the Firewall area and look for Application Rules, there you should be able to add in that info I had posted.  If you cannot find it, please post back and I will try to explain where to find it.

mrkniceguy

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 07:07:13 PM »

Please go into the Firewall area and look for Application Rules, there you should be able to add in that info I had posted.  If you cannot find it, please post back and I will try to explain where to find it.

Found it. Added all subsonic exes but still getting the same error. Even added Java but still no go.

SlyFox

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 07:13:38 PM »

Found it. Added all subsonic exes but still getting the same error. Even added Java but still no go.

Sorry, I was hoping that would solve your issue.  I will continue to search and see what I can find for you. 

mrkniceguy

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2013, 07:20:41 PM »
Thank you SlyFox. I appreciate you helping me. I'm trying all kinds of things on this end. I know it's firewall related because if I disable the firewall, everything works.

SlyFox

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2013, 08:18:24 PM »
Thank you SlyFox. I appreciate you helping me. I'm trying all kinds of things on this end. I know it's firewall related because if I disable the firewall, everything works.

You are welcome Mrkniceguy.

I did not see the following in your posts.  How much trouble would be for you to Uninstall Subsonic music streamer, please? If you want to do that, just make sure nothing is left in your computer, like registry keys, etc.  They may have an Uninstaller Tool?  Use CCleaner or RevoUninstaller if no Uninstall tool to remove.  Since you have Avast installed, just install Subsonic again and see what happens, it may resolve your issue.  Minecraft I presume came with your computer?  Under free games on your computer? Sorry as I do not play any of the games on my computer.

mrkniceguy

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2013, 09:58:37 PM »
I did not see the following in your posts.  How much trouble would be for you to Uninstall Subsonic music streamer, please? If you want to do that, just make sure nothing is left in your computer, like registry keys, etc.  They may have an Uninstaller Tool?  Use CCleaner or RevoUninstaller if no Uninstall tool to remove.  Since you have Avast installed, just install Subsonic again and see what happens, it may resolve your issue.  Minecraft I presume came with your computer?  Under free games on your computer? Sorry as I do not play any of the games on my computer.

Tried it with Subsonic, same issue with new install. Minecraft itself works fine, but the Minecraft server does not (both are items I've installed). I'm running both on localhost/127.0.0.1 which seems to be at the core of this issue. I can't seem find where to make any changes regarding this (or what changes to make) within the Avast Firewall.

murphyschaos

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2013, 02:17:35 PM »
I am also having this issue, which happens during initialization of the Subsonic service from the agent. I'm running a fresh install of Avast Premier (30-day trial) which includes rules for subsonic-agent.exe and subsonic-service.exe.

I have tried the following:
Set allowable ports on subsonic-service.exe to All for upstream and down.
Set allowable ports on "Java(TM) Platform SE Library" to All for upstream and down.
Set default packet rule on "Java(TM) Platform SE Library" to Allow for all protocols for In/Out.
Set default packet rule on subsonic-service.exe to Allow for all protocols for In/Out (changed back to Auto-decide after it no change was found).
Set subsonic-agent to All connections preset.

I have also attempted to troubleshoot using Wireshark but discovered that Wireshark cannot capture traffic to the loopback (127.0.0.1) on Windows.

Potential Workaround:
I have noticed that, if I start the service with the Avast firewall off, then start the firewall after Subsonic is running, Subsonic will continue to function. My suspicion is that Subsonic is performing some sort of network reachability test on launch and, if the test fails, it doesn't open a listener on its configured port. Obviously, this is not desirable as this requires manual effort any time Subsonic needs to be launched.

mrkniceguy

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2013, 03:25:18 AM »
I am also having this issue, which happens during initialization of the Subsonic service from the agent. I'm running a fresh install of Avast Premier (30-day trial) which includes rules for subsonic-agent.exe and subsonic-service.exe.

I have tried the following:
Set allowable ports on subsonic-service.exe to All for upstream and down.
Set allowable ports on "Java(TM) Platform SE Library" to All for upstream and down.
Set default packet rule on "Java(TM) Platform SE Library" to Allow for all protocols for In/Out.
Set default packet rule on subsonic-service.exe to Allow for all protocols for In/Out (changed back to Auto-decide after it no change was found).
Set subsonic-agent to All connections preset.

I have also attempted to troubleshoot using Wireshark but discovered that Wireshark cannot capture traffic to the loopback (127.0.0.1) on Windows.

Potential Workaround:
I have noticed that, if I start the service with the Avast firewall off, then start the firewall after Subsonic is running, Subsonic will continue to function. My suspicion is that Subsonic is performing some sort of network reachability test on launch and, if the test fails, it doesn't open a listener on its configured port. Obviously, this is not desirable as this requires manual effort any time Subsonic needs to be launched.

Exactly my situation as well. For now I just have the firewall turned off all the time, which is hardly ideal.

mrkniceguy

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2013, 01:25:17 AM »
I'm working with upper tier Avast support on this and still getting nowhere. Other things I've tried so far.

Complete re-install of Windows 7 64bit. Nothing.

Downgrade to Java 1.7 update 25. No dice.

Turning off the firewall I can start Subsonic and then turn the firewall back on and it works. Minecraft server still can't be accessed over LAN but works on computers dedicated IP address.