Author Topic: Avast making the first boot really slow  (Read 10765 times)

jrace

Re: Avast making the first boot really slow
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2013, 05:22:07 PM »

Just for your information:
I was working with my system since version 9 on the same or at least similar problem. Always the first boot of the day takes about half a minute longer than all the following boots before the avast! tray icon appears. First boot of the day ~60 seconds, rest ~25 seconds.
Until the tray icon appears the system is very chewy and unresponsive on first boot.
I tried repair, clean install, disabling everything from the troubleshooting page, (I don't have dropbox) no success!
According to task manager avast! is working like mad during the last 30 seconds on the firts boot of the day.

What is avast doing different on the first boot of the day, what is it chewing on?
I have no idea!    :-\

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2013, 06:08:32 PM »
Avast may be checking for updates as it spins up .. To test this try setting updates to I use a dial up connection

jrace

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2013, 06:19:11 PM »
Sorry essexboy I did not mention that but I tried even this before by schwitching updates to "Manual Updates" with no success.
But so far as I know avast! is checking for updates on every boot not only on the first boot of the day, so it's not likely to be the reason.

Edit:
Next thing I will check is to make the first boot of the day without network connection. Will report.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 04:02:32 PM by jrace »

jrace

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2013, 04:05:41 PM »
Edit:
Next thing I will check is to make the first boot of the day without network connection. Will report.

...it just made no difference.    :-[

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2013, 04:09:27 PM »
What else do you have loading at system start ?

jrace

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2013, 11:44:07 AM »

Thanks for your concern, "essexboy", but don't care too much, I can live with it.
My autotarts are not that questionable. Nothing that could influence the first boot of the day in such a way.

Attached you see a pic of the autostart list.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2013, 03:51:37 PM »
True the only one that may be problematical would be Easus

There is an MS programme that sorts the boot files into a logical sequence and optimises the start.  You could try that .. I have destructions for it

jrace

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2013, 08:30:32 PM »

Yes I know about the "Windows Performance Tool Kit (WPT)" and I was working already with it.
But the problem is not generally the boot process being slow it's just the first boot of the day taking about double the time of any further bootup during the same day.
Every day I will try a new option and when I finally succeed I'll give you a shout here!

Again thanks for your help and care.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2013, 09:36:23 PM »
If you find out could you let me know :)

jrace

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2013, 10:22:18 PM »

I definitely will do that!

Dunderklumpen

« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2013, 10:03:37 AM »
Okay, so it might be Dropbox that was causing the issue as it didn't happen now that Dropbox was removed from autostart.

Is there any fix for this, or does anyone even know why it might happen?
If you can't run avast together with Dropbox, that's just really really weird and I'll have to find some other AV-software.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2013, 03:17:56 PM »
It is not Avast causing the slowdown but the running of dropbox.  When I enabled dropbox to start on my system it goes down to a crawl at start, and this is with Avast not yet installed.  But at the end of the day the choice is yours to either have a fairly decent AV or dropbox starting with the system.  Personally I can see no need for any programme except the AV to start with the system   

Dunderklumpen

« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2013, 04:55:19 PM »
It is not Avast causing the slowdown but the running of dropbox.  When I enabled dropbox to start on my system it goes down to a crawl at start, and this is with Avast not yet installed.  But at the end of the day the choice is yours to either have a fairly decent AV or dropbox starting with the system.  Personally I can see no need for any programme except the AV to start with the system

Sure, it only happens when Dropbox is on autostart, but it appears to be Avast not booting correctly that is causing the issue. The Dropbox icon (and all of the rest) appears in the traybar, the Avast icon does not.

I just don't see why all this happened all of a sudden, after having worked perfectly for years...

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2013, 04:58:49 PM »
If dropbox is loading before the Avast GUI and synching as soon as it launches then Avast will scan the files being synched first

Dunderklumpen

« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2013, 09:08:27 PM »
If dropbox is loading before the Avast GUI and synching as soon as it launches then Avast will scan the files being synched first

Which it has been doing for years since I haven't changed anything, but it only recently started making a fuss about it... Weird, really weird.

Any way you can flip that order around, so that dropbox loads after?