Author Topic: Firewall  (Read 9511 times)

ColT

Firewall
« on: July 06, 2005, 09:49:38 PM »
What would be a good Firewall that runs good with Avast! PRO.

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Firewall
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2005, 09:51:36 PM »
I can't say GOOD or BAD about each of firewalls, but Kerio PF works perfect for me. :)

ColT

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2005, 10:13:16 PM »
Which version of Kerio?

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2005, 10:17:35 PM »

ColT

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2005, 10:19:09 PM »
Would it be better than Sygate PFP, and would it lag me in games speficly Counter-Strike? Would it also use lots of memory process?

EDIT: What is wrong with Avast, this message poped up saying virus found and I clicked Move to Virus Chest, and it keeps poping up what do I do??
« Last Edit: July 06, 2005, 10:26:18 PM by ColT »

niko

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2005, 10:53:28 PM »
Hi Colt (45' S and W?),
I use Sygate firewall Pro for a long time now with Avast! without PB 8)
Sygate PF takes about 10100 Ko (rather normal)...you can trust it "eyes wide shut" ;D

housi

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2005, 11:37:50 PM »
I use Outpost Pro since a long time with Avast!, no problems.

ColT

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2005, 12:23:18 AM »
What is wrong with Avast, this message poped up saying virus found and I clicked Move to Virus Chest, and it keeps poping up what do I do?? It's really making me get pissed off and i'm thinking about uninstalling avast due to this problem.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2005, 12:27:15 AM by ColT »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2005, 12:27:55 AM »
What is wrong with Avast, this message poped up saying virus found and I clicked Move to Virus Chest, and it keeps poping up what do I do??

I can make some suggestions (hope they can help in anyway...):

1. Have you tried to delete the temporary Internet files? To do this go to Internet explorer >Tools > Internet options > Delete files > Click delete all offline content (just to be sure) > click ok. It might take some time to delete them.

2. Disable (and enable it after) System Restore: Start > Control Panel > System > System restore > Disable > Click Apply > Enable it again > Click Ok

3. Schedule a boot-time scanning: Start avast! > Right click the skin > Schedule a boot-time scanning > Select for scanning archives > Boot
The best things in life are free.

ColT

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2005, 12:50:35 AM »
Well that didn't work Tech, and I uninstalled Avast PRO! and am starting to use Kaspersky again, and my Computers running faster than it was when I used Avast, but I really don't know why. In the new version can you guys fix that problem with avast, until them im using Kaspersky <3

MFB

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2005, 07:54:03 AM »
Hi Colt, if your still looking for a firewall, have you consider Zone Alarm?  Althought Kerio and Sygate are consider to be wonderful, you can also try Zone Alarm and give it a shot. 

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2005, 04:30:05 PM »
What is wrong with Avast, this message poped up saying virus found and I clicked Move to Virus Chest, and it keeps poping up what do I do?? It's really making me get pissed off and i'm thinking about uninstalling avast due to this problem.
I'm not sure we're talking about the same... Can you post a screenshot of this popup?
What was written on it?

PigDog

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2005, 04:36:07 PM »
Some malicious sites using Java exploits will show multiple and frequent attacks until you move away from the source or break your connection to the net.  By removing Avast you exposed yourself to a risk.

ColT

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2005, 05:27:07 PM »
You know when it says "Virus Has Been Detected" and that cool sound? The file name is: rdriv.sys and I keep clicking delete and such but it has not affect, so I shut down avast and manually had to delete the file, it wasn't in use or anything. Right now I use Kaspersky Personal PRO and Sygate Personal Firewall PRO.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2005, 05:30:46 PM »
The file name is: rdriv.sys
And where it was located (path)?

manually had to delete the file, it wasn't in use or anything.
Does it 'come' back after being deleted?

If you use avast boot time scanning or even scanning in Safe Mode, you'll have - in theory - more access to files in order to clean the system.