Author Topic: Lost explorer icons on Win98  (Read 10267 times)

olmor

Lost explorer icons on Win98
« on: October 02, 2006, 07:50:43 AM »
Hello!

I'm using Avast! 4.7 Home (892) on Windows 98 SE Russian.
I have such problem.
I start Avast! scanner from shortcut and select directories to scan (with treeview), then I start scanning and close program.
After this some icons in Windows Explorer disappears (icons in Quick launch, icons iside My computer, etc.).

Can you fix this bug?

Thank you.
Oleg.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Lost explorer icons on Win98
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 11:15:23 AM »
I'm afraid we can't.
This looks like the problem with "low resources", quite common on Windows 9x, unfortunatelly. The only thing I can suggest is to reduce the number of programs running simultanously (e.g. in the system tray, running automatically when Windows start).

olmor

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 12:12:15 PM »
Igor,

Ok. I can live with it. I've just want to help you to find a bug.
I was able to reproduce such problem on 2 other computers with Win98SE with standard Windows install (no additional programs, only Win98 + avast 4.7 Home).
System resources are >85% free. The problem is appeared only if I select some directories to scan (third option on the right side of Avast scanner window). There is no problem if I scan local or removable drives (first and second option).
Maybe you have a glance on it in a free time. Just start Avast scanner, select directories to scan, close program, and open 'My computer'.
I think there is something wrong in dialog where user selects directories.

Regards,
Oleg

Flomax2310

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 02:05:22 PM »
I have exactly the same problem with my Windows 98SE I noticed as that
simply related to small the icones 16/16 of the menu to start and in
the large explorer the icones appears...  therefore it must have small
a bug obliged rebooter and all becomes again normal!!

Cordially  ;)

olmor

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2006, 09:00:19 PM »
Silence :(

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2007, 04:59:17 PM »
The only thing I can suggest is to (try to) use the skinless Simple User Interface... don't have anything better, sorry.

Gort

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2007, 06:39:23 PM »
I have exactly the same problem with my Windows 98SE I noticed as that
simply related to small the icones 16/16 of the menu to start and in
the large explorer the icones appears...  therefore it must have small
a bug obliged rebooter and all becomes again normal!!

Cordially  ;)

The same thing happens on Win95.  This problem only happens for me with the newest release version and current beta and only after an on-demand scan.  I shut down all other programs (except Avast! providers) during the on-demand scan and set it to standard, no archive.  I am not sure how much "resource" Avast! needs but this is what it has to work with on my old system:

total memory 128M
VCACHE  20M max, 3M min
4GB free hard drive space
Swap file set for 200M min, no max

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2007, 06:57:28 PM »
I am not sure how much "resource" Avast! needs but this is what it has to work with on my old system:
It should be enough...
http://www.avast.com/eng/system-requirements-avast-home.html

For a computer running Windows® 95/98/Me:
486 Processor, 32MB RAM and 50MB of free hard disk space.
The best things in life are free.

Gort

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2007, 08:26:53 PM »
I tried a little experiment.  I unchecked only the box "enable skins for explorer extension" in program settings.  The box "Enable skins for simple user interface" is still checked.  I have run the on-demand scan twice but the icons never disappeared.  I don't know if this is a permanent fix or not.  I will post again later.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2007, 01:07:30 AM »
As Igor said... the skinless option seems to be a solution for low-memory systems.  ::)

The only thing I can suggest is to (try to) use the skinless Simple User Interface... don't have anything better, sorry.

Gort

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2007, 05:42:39 AM »
I tried a little experiment.  I unchecked only the box "enable skins for explorer extension" in program settings.  The box "Enable skins for simple user interface" is still checked.  I have run the on-demand scan twice but the icons never disappeared.  I don't know if this is a permanent fix or not.  I will post again later.

Problem still hasn't reoccurred while using the above settings.  If anyone else is having problems this is worth a try.  Good luck.  :)

Gort

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2007, 01:52:39 PM »

Problem still hasn't reoccurred while using the above settings.  If anyone else is having problems this is worth a try.  Good luck.  :)

We have bad news.  The above changes don't prevent the problem.  Disabling all skins didn't help either.  The only fix that works for us is to avoid scanning archives during on-demand scans.  Good luck.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2007, 03:37:38 PM »
Well I would suggest that isn't a bad idea anyway.

Archive (zip, etc.) files are by their nature are inert, you need to extract the files and then you have to run them to be a threat. Long before that happens avast's Standard Shield should have scanned them and before an executable is run that is scanned. Thorough is also by its design very thorough and perhaps a little overkill for routine use, were a Standard scan without archives should be adequate.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2007, 05:54:59 PM »
The only fix that works for us is to avoid scanning archives during on-demand scans.
Another proof that low-resources computer will have troubles with skins, archive scanning, etc., all them high-resources consuming...

Gort

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2007, 04:41:45 PM »
I am not sure how much "resource" Avast! needs but this is what it has to work with on my old system:
It should be enough...
http://www.avast.com/eng/system-requirements-avast-home.html

For a computer running Windows® 95/98/Me:
486 Processor, 32MB RAM and 50MB of free hard disk space.

Only the latest release version and the current beta cause this problem on our computers.  ???