Author Topic: suggestion  (Read 2205 times)

miked789

suggestion
« on: March 29, 2009, 08:54:09 PM »
I would like to make a suggestion for a small change in the product(s) of Avast antivirus software.

A throttle for download speed of updates would be helpful on my slower machines and my machines with slower/poorer connections.

When my slower machines start up they tend to be overwhelmed by the various start up processes and by Avast.

Naturally, it would never be allowed to go below a certain point speed, so that a worm or virus couldn't turn off updates by turning down the throttle to zero or near zero.

I know, it's probably too much work for just a few machines, but there are a lot of people out there getting used machines and slow lines that might like the addition. There are also a lot of people everywhere getting netbooks, which have the same problem, albeit not nearly as bad. All my old machines are slower than my new Acer One netbook.

Anyways, thank you for the excellent product Avast, I suggest it to all my friends and relatives.

Michael Davey

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: suggestion
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 09:24:29 PM »
Guess what, they already do, on systems with XP or higher they have a hack to restrict CPU (older OSes haven't that functionality) on the auto VPS updates, this isn't used on manual updates as it is assumed the user is ready to proceed.

So you have to monitor what actually runs on start-up you can also delay the update check in the avast4.ini file.

You need to edit (using notepad) the [InetWD] section of the C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Data\avast4.ini file and add the following line (depending on your connection type enter one or other of the Bold lines below):
Dial-up connections, add this line: RASWaitSeconds=120
Broadband connections, add this line: AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds=120
[InetWD]
AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds=120
Or
RASWaitSeconds=120
When complete save the changes, avast's self-defence module will ask for confirmation, etc. answer Yes.

The figure is seconds and the above equates to two minutes, you could try that and adjust upwards if required, 180, 240, etc.

Me on dial-up I delay mine by 600 sec (10 minutes), which allows me to quickly jump on-line collect mail and get off without initiating an update check.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: suggestion
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 01:57:10 AM »
miked789, welcome to forums.
Indeed avast is a very configurable antivirus ;)
The best things in life are free.