Author Topic: Behavior blocker stop working on Windows 7  (Read 62672 times)

Offline Coolmario88

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Bronies make the web go round
Re: Behavior blocker stop working on Windows 7
« Reply #105 on: September 01, 2010, 05:41:55 AM »
why don't the Behavior Shield work on my windows 7 64-bit computer? is it a bug in avast!
Webbrowser: Mozilla Firefox
PC Specs: Intel i5-12400f, Nvidia RTX 3050, 16gb ram, 1.5TB SSD(s).

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #106 on: September 01, 2010, 05:51:46 AM »
If you read the post's prior to your own you will notice that it is a problem with windows 7 and avast  ::)

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #107 on: September 01, 2010, 05:52:59 AM »
Actually for a 64bit system, that's normal. But Behavior Shield isn't working anymore even for 32bit version of Windows 7.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Gargamel360

« Reply #108 on: September 01, 2010, 06:02:22 AM »
It is a thing evolving with time.  How good it will become, and how....or if......it can work on 64bit I can't say.  

I read once on these forums that the flaws it is made to protect against don't yet exist on 64bit.  That was some months ago, right after I first installed AIS and noticed it idle, so it might or might not still be true.

The not working on 64bit is only a bug if they intended it to work on 64bit in the first place, a fact I am unsure of.
It is a separate, long standing issue, apart from the recent apparent Win7 32bit problem.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #109 on: September 01, 2010, 06:41:10 AM »
Actually for a 64bit system, that's normal. But Behavior Shield isn't working anymore even for 32bit version of Windows 7.
I was under the impression that boot time scanning was the only difference between 32/64 bit.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #110 on: September 01, 2010, 07:07:10 AM »
Nope. Behavior Shield also doesn't have any rules fro 64bit systems. This is suppose to change though in avast! 5.1 where we'll get boot-time scan even for 64bit systems and supposedly also some rules for Behavior Shield. A bit more limited than on 32bit systems but still, at least some. I hope for a full set, but some is always better than nothing right?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #111 on: September 01, 2010, 07:41:29 AM »
Nope. Behavior Shield also doesn't have any rules fro 64bit systems. This is suppose to change though in avast! 5.1 where we'll get boot-time scan even for 64bit systems and supposedly also some rules for Behavior Shield. A bit more limited than on 32bit systems but still, at least some. I hope for a full set, but some is always better than nothing right?
Here's hoping  :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #112 on: September 01, 2010, 01:26:23 PM »
Some days ago, I've read that a rootkit for x64 bits systems got in the wild...
Can behavior block do anything on protecting from it or we really need a signature for that?
Also, MBR infectors of x64 systems seem to appear into the malware world. Can behavior shield protect from them?

By the way ;D, behavior blocker is NOT working yet.
We are without an acknowledgment!
The best things in life are free.

street_lethal

« Reply #113 on: September 01, 2010, 03:16:54 PM »
I was under the impression that boot time scanning was the only difference between 32/64 bit.

Same here. An official comment from a dev confirming the behavior shield is not supposed to work on 64bit would be nice...better than speculation.

street_lethal

« Reply #114 on: September 02, 2010, 05:34:11 PM »
Checked my Win 7 x64 system today and looked at the behavior shield history logs, the behavior shield has never worked, 0 items scanned since I installed it.

disPlay

« Reply #115 on: September 02, 2010, 06:29:27 PM »
Checked my Win 7 x64 system today and looked at the behavior shield history logs, the behavior shield has never worked, 0 items scanned since I installed it.

Just like RejZoR said that is normal since in x64 OS the behavior blocker don't have any rules set. The strange thing is the BB stooped working in x86 OS.

Diazruanova

« Reply #116 on: September 02, 2010, 07:38:54 PM »
I can confirm that it stopped working on my wife´s Lap-top w/Win7-32bit on August 10 date on which appeared the latest graph.  ???

On my Win XP desktop it shows fine (with eventual red peaks - malicious?-  that I do NOT know what the hell they are).

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #117 on: September 02, 2010, 07:54:13 PM »
Here is my theory. It's not avast! that stopped working, it was some Windows update that stopped it from doing its job. Look on calendar. 10th August is tuesday. And we all know what Microsoft is releasing on tuesdays.
But until avast! guys check it out, no one will know for sure. However you can check what updates were installed on 10th August in the Programs and Features panel (Former Add Remove Programs). You can even remove those updates and see if the BS will start working again. I'm using (testing) Kaspersky right now on all my systems so i can't check that...

Diazruanova

« Reply #118 on: September 02, 2010, 09:12:12 PM »
yeah, you are probably right, but it is avast´s responsibility to take care of this issue because Microsoft is not going to do anything about it, so at least, they should acknowledge this problem and say if the Behaviour Shield is still working or not on W7 32 bit machines, because if it is only a graphic flaw, then it is not that bad, but what if it is not working at all?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #119 on: September 03, 2010, 11:56:14 AM »
Behavior shield still not working in new prerelease 5.0.673  ???