Author Topic: OneNote cannot sync (Error code: 0xE000006B b6d09)  (Read 13134 times)

Offline galfert

Re: OneNote cannot sync (Error code: 0xE000006B b6d09)
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2023, 10:24:50 PM »
galfert: Yes, please post the File ID here so that the developers can look it up.

Very well...
File ID: NXUC3

Offline galfert

« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2023, 03:15:50 AM »
I was curious to find out where Web Sheild HTTPS scanning logs are saved...

I found the following location:
C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\report\WebShield.txt

But unfortunately that log file doesn't have anything in it other than mentioning the times when the Web Sheild was started and stopped. Even though I had Web Sheild with HTTPS scanning turned on right before I duplicated the OneNote Notebook sync error.

This tells me that Avast is not seeing OneNote's access to the online Notebook as a proper HTTPS request....probably because OneNote isn't a browser and maybe the OneNote software is attempting to connect on a different port. That's just an idea I have. Or perhaps there are other log files to look at the I have not found.

Hopefully in my previous post I've given enough detailed information for Avast engineers to be able to duplicate the problem themselves and not just rely on my submitted logs.

Offline galfert

« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2023, 03:19:22 AM »
This is what the error in OneNote looks like.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2023, 03:27:23 AM by galfert »

Offline Felix39

« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2023, 05:02:12 PM »
I have the same issue, that when webshield is tunred on, one note can not sync.
Errorcode: "OneNote can't connect to the server. Sync will resume once we connect. You don't need to take any action. (Error code: 0xE0000070 b6d09)"

If i turn webshield of, it works fine.

@avast support: Please fix this.

Offline galfert

« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2023, 06:08:27 PM »
For now, until they fix this problem, you don't need to totally disable all of Web Shield.

Instead all you have to do is disable the HTTPS Scanning feature of Web Shield.

See attached screenshots on how to instead go to Settings / Protection / Core Shields / Web Shield / and disable HTTPS Scanning.

EDIT: See new solution a few posts down
« Last Edit: November 08, 2023, 10:12:58 PM by galfert »

Offline galfert

« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2023, 08:27:19 PM »
So I did a remote support with Avast and they took over the computer.
They did some repair and they disabled some other settings so quickly that I could not follow.
I tested and OneNote application is now syncing with no problems.

But I asked the support person to tell me what they did to fix it and they simply said that they fixed it. I asked for specifics because they moved too fast. They kept saying, "problem fixed." This is was less than helpful and I don't understand if they think this is job security on their part of what they were being so difficult in answering my question. You can't talk on the phone....this is all chat box typed. I'm a fast typer 80+ wpm. I tried....I got no answer and I got disgusted by the lack of detail on the solution. I mentioned that I needed the solution to post in the forum because I wasn't the only person with this issue. I told them that I'm and IT person and that I would understand whatever they have as a solution no matter how technical it was.....They were abstinent. So I ended the support chat and remote session.

I'm moving on....Avast is getting uninstalled. I will fly with just Microsoft Defender....I think it's better than good enough. I think HTTPS Scanning is a man-in-the-middle and I don't trust it.

I'm sorry ....I came into this forum seeking a solution and I then I realized that no solution would come unless I took the proactive approach. This is not what I expected to happen.

Good luck everyone...whatever you decide

EDIT: I'm back.
Problem not solved....It isn't syncing again. So there is no fix. I'm still uninstalling....goodbye all

« Last Edit: November 01, 2023, 08:31:02 PM by galfert »

Offline galfert

« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2023, 08:34:03 PM »
I think I understand the fake fix by support.

They did a repair install and then tested and it synced.....but the problem is that HTTPS Scanning doesn't really get enabled untill you reboot...or maybe after a while after install/reinstall.

What is unfortunate is that I told support at the beginning of my remote support session that I didn't expect a solution today. I told them that I just wanted them to see the problem so that they could forward it to their software programmers.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2023, 08:37:08 PM by galfert »

Offline Paul Blueberry

« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2023, 05:07:20 AM »
It's a shame, how Avast support reacted to your question: "it's fixed", but they don't tell what they did. Your decision to abandon this antivirus is totally understandable. Another reason to abandon it is its aggressive self-promotion.

I also noticed, when I started to investigate the problem 3.5 months ago, that certain actions fix the sync issue temporarily. On the Microsoft forum some people notice that their solution is only temporary, but most just try something, see that it worked once, and immediately post, that they successfully found a permanent solution. And they are thanking each other.

Offline galfert

« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2023, 09:26:35 PM »
*** Workaround Solution - Follow Steps Below ***

I finally heard back from Avast Senior Support after my case was escalated. They provided some recommendations to try excluding a few Microsoft domains (too many of them I thought). I did some testing to narrow things down and I ran Wireshark and I figured out the following...

To me this fix although it does work should be seen as a band-aid temporary fix. I let Senior Support know that they should pass this along to the software developer team to fix so that this manual configuration is not required. This is affecting users that don't even realize that the cause is Avast's handling of HTTPS scanning.

Steps to fix OneNote sync issue with Avast Web Shield HTTPS Scanning
  • Open Avast AV and go to ☰ Menu ▸ Settings. Select General ▸ Exceptions, then click Add Advanced Exception* ▸ Website/Domain
  • Type in URL path *.onenote.com
  • Click Add Exception button to save this configuration
  • Notice new http and https exceptions for OneNote domain listed
  • Close Avast AV and test OneNote syncing
* It is important to select Add Advanced Exception and not the basic Add Exception button as that will not work for the required URL. This seems to be a bug that I've reported. If you don't follow my exact instructions, you'll end up with a file/folder exception instead of Website/Domain exception. This only happens if you use a short URL with one dot. If you want to instead use the longer more specific URL that I list below then you can simply click on the basic Add Exception.

See attached screenshots of the above steps for added reference (you need to be logged into this forum to see attachment screenshots).

:P I don't know why I didn't run Wireshark sooner to figure this out. It's all right there...the specific URL is contentsync.onenote.com if want to add that exception instead of the global asterisk variable. This will likely work until Microsoft decides to use a different URL to sync and then this will break again. This is why Avast should find a more permanent solution. 112 days for the community of users to get a mediocre solution.  >:( I hope that Avast doesn't drop the ball on this and that they find an out of box internal permanent fix so that uninformed users do not fall victim to this issue.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2023, 10:57:41 PM by galfert »

Offline Paul Blueberry

« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2023, 07:34:14 PM »
Interesting. Two months ago user Leo3487 also suggested a workaround using an exception, but for me it didn't work. I am glad, that you found one that works for me too. Here is what I did:

I have turned Enable HTTPS scanning back on, as it is by default and as it should be. Now OneNote syncs. Thank you.

Needless to mention, this is just a simpler workaround and not a solution. Avast Software s.r.o. still needs to fix the bug, which we are waiting for 113 days (almost ⅓ year).

Offline galfert

« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2023, 08:36:25 PM »
For a permanent solution I hope that Microsoft and Avast can work together to formulate a solution. Without knowing the inner workings of OneNote and Avast it is almost impossible for me to determine if the blame is on one company or the other. I can see the issue being either Microsoft OneNote implementing a poor use of HTTPS to sync or perhaps Avast doing something too deterministic and limiting that prevents Microsoft from using HTTPS in an application to use as a sync conduit.

Therefore, I've also reported the issue to Microsoft. Unfortunately, it is a blind request as no case gets created when you contact Microsoft about this type of issue. The Microsoft Support Agent I first contacted said that the only way to file a report was to open a feedback report which is like I said a blind submittal.

This issue until properly addressed is unfortunately going to affect uninformed users that will not necessarily know that their antivirus and its default settings are the cause of the incompatibility and creating the OneNote sync issue.

* To anyone reading this: Do you still have this issue? Scroll back up...you missed the workaround solution: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=324344.msg1711385#msg1711385
« Last Edit: November 10, 2023, 11:00:56 PM by galfert »

Offline Paul Blueberry

« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2023, 09:03:34 PM »
True, we cannot tell for sure, whether Avast or Microsoft needs to fix the bug. So here are two counters. This time in years.

Offline Paul Blueberry

« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2024, 02:24:26 PM »
After half a year someone fixed it. Thank you! Although a little bit late. :)

Now I have no exceptions in Avast, Enable HTTPS scanning is on, and OneNote syncs between computer and phone in both directions. I have no error messages in OneNote Notebook Sync Status.

Offline Leo3487

« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2024, 03:54:25 PM »
After half a year someone fixed it. Thank you! Although a little bit late. :)

Now I have no exceptions in Avast, Enable HTTPS scanning is on, and OneNote syncs between computer and phone in both directions. I have no error messages in OneNote Notebook Sync Status.
byy the time from last reply, seem it was an avast patch
And sure, culprit was avast, as no problem with other AVs