Author Topic: OneNote cannot sync (Error code: 0xE000006B b6d09)  (Read 13162 times)

Offline Paul Blueberry

OneNote cannot sync (Error code: 0xE000006B b6d09)
« on: July 18, 2023, 06:23:14 PM »
I have Microsoft® OneNote® 2021 MSO (Version 2306 Build 16.0.16529.20164) 64-bit. That's the one that comes with Microsoft Office, and not the Windows built-in version of OneNote. A few days ago my Avast Free Antivirus updated itself to 23.6.6070 (build 23.6.8271.788). After that I noticed that OneNote is taking long to synchronize. When it syncs, you can see an overlay on your notebook's icon.

That overlay was there for about 10 s, which is unusually long. Soon I noticed, that my changes don't sync. I opened the Notebook Sync Status dialogue, and seen the following error messages:

OneNote can't connect to the server. Sync will resume once we connect. You don't need to take any action. (Error code: 0xE000006B b6d09)

I closed and reopened the notebook. OneNote wanted to sync the notebook before it closes it, but since it couldn't, it offered to copy my unsynced changes to "Misplaced Sections", and close afterwards. It eventually copied the entire notebook to "Misplaced Sections", but successfully closed it. After I reopened the notebook, the error message went away. I could sync. But after a day the problem reappeared.

This Microsoft thread suggested Avast causes the trouble. And indeed, if I open Avast, go to Menu > Settings > Protection > Core Shields > scroll down to Web Shield > uncheck Enable HTTPS scanning, and restart OneNote, it can sync again. If I check it again, the OneNote error comes back.

So, the newest Avast causes sync issues in OneNote. Please fix it.

UPDATE1: User galfert found a better workaround. You don't need to uncheck Enable HTTPS scanning. Instead it is enough to add a URL exception.
User Leo3487 claims that adding https://onedrive.live.com as exception worked the bug around for him (but not for me). So, the exception URL may be user dependent.

UPDATE2: Since January 2024 (after half a year) the bug is fixed. See my reply on this.

Remark: Not all pictures are visible without logging in on this forum. If the author of the reply uploaded his pictures to an external host, and inserted them into the reply with [img width=300]https://i.imgur.com/xxxxxxx.png[/img], they will be visible to everyone. However, if the author simply attached them to the reply, only logged in users can see them. This is not obvious to the people on this forum, as they are logged in.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2024, 11:28:53 PM by Paul Blueberry »

Offline JindrichK

• Avast team
Re: OneNote cannot sync (Error code: 0xE000006B b6d09)
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2023, 02:58:46 PM »
Hello Paul,

I'm very sorry you are having issues with Avast. I can see you went through a lot of effort on Microsoft forum because of this. Unfortunately, we did not manage to replicate the issue on our side. Could you please help us with the investigation by providing some data?

Would it be possible to do the following procedure, please?
 - enable HTTPS scanning again (Menu > Settings > Protection > Core Shields > WebShield > Enable https scanning)
 - enable debug logging (Menu > Settings > General > Troubleshooting > Enable debug logging)
 - restart the computer
 - reproduce the issue
 - after reproducing the issue, turn the WebShield off (Protection > Core Shields > WebShield off)
 - create a support package (https://support.avast.com/en-eu/article/Submit-support-file#pc) and post the ID here. It can be easily done from our product (Menu > Settings > General > Troubleshooting > Send Logs button). Then we can go through logs and see what happened.

My personal tip is that WebShield did not like the server certificate for some reason and blocked the connection. Would it be possible to also share the URL/server that OneNote is trying to synchronize with? For more private communication, you can reach me here via messaging system (my messages).

Thank you very much,
Jindrich

Offline Paul Blueberry

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2023, 11:26:40 PM »
Thanks for your effort in trying to replicate this.

I won't send you a support package, but I have an idea. Post a reply in the Microsoft forum that directs them here, and someone else will send you one.

My tip was that something takes too long and times out when Enable HTTPS scanning is on (sync lasted significantly longer). The error did not come at first, but if it came, it did not go away. I had to make some modification in the notebook to make the error appear. Without modification it said sync was successful (and in reality it didn't sync anything).

The server it communicates with is not necessarily visible on the user interface, so I cannot provide it to you, but I am pretty sure, its certificate is OK.

And it's Office OneNote, and not Windows built-in OneNote.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2023, 11:39:20 PM by Paul Blueberry »

Offline eli.shmueli

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2023, 05:40:50 AM »
I am reporting the same problem, and of experiencing it in the same days. I also have Avast, and I am also a heavy user of OneNote. I also encountered a few days ago the same issue - suddenly new notes entered in the OneNote phone app, don't appear in the Desktop app of OneNote, when I try to sync the desktop app manually they still don't show and I receive the error code the user is reporting here. I confirmed in the online 365 version of OneNote that the new notes are there. Only syncing with the desktop app is malfunctioning. I had no idea this could be related to Avast, thanks dear user for finding this out - Avast please fix this, because OneNote is a primary tool that I am using on an hourly basis day in and day out.

Edit: I can confirm that the steps described above by the original poster solved the issue for me as well. Although I have no idea what might be the implications of unchecking "scan https" in Avast and would rather be able to use OneNote without changing Avast definitions...
« Last Edit: July 22, 2023, 05:54:36 AM by eli.shmueli »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2023, 11:13:02 AM »
<snip>
Edit: I can confirm that the steps described above by the original poster solved the issue for me as well. Although I have no idea what might be the implications of unchecking "scan https" in Avast and would rather be able to use OneNote without changing Avast definitions...

The implication is that the Web Shield won't be scanning https connections, virtually all of your browsing.  So when done getting/viewing your mail ensure you enable HTTPS scanning or your system is less well protected.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.6.6121 (build 24.6.9241.848) UI 1.0.809/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Jon40

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2023, 02:17:21 PM »
I just wasted two hours trying to solve this issue  >:(
Turned off Shields and OneNote now synchronised ok.

Offline Paul Blueberry

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2023, 01:25:03 PM »
Avast Free Antivirus just updated itself. The bug is still present in version 23.7.6074 (build 23.7.8348.762).

Offline JindrichK

• Avast team
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2023, 10:27:25 AM »
I am sorry for not having the fix yet. We tested multiple sync scenarios of MS OneNote (both MS Office and the built-in one) and we did not encounter any issues. Please, if you are facing this problem, a service package created following the scenario posted here, it would be very helpful. Thank you.

Offline andysmith1

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2023, 02:28:24 PM »
Dear Avast.
Any update on a fix for this?
I have just wasted 1/2 a day fault finding this issue until I came accross this Post...
Definitly a problem on my iPhone AND MS Surface since installing Avast free to trial.
I will not be purchasing the full version unless this OneNote sync issue is resolved.
Thanks in advance....

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2023, 04:05:24 PM »
This topic and sub-forum is about the Avast Free Antivirus / Premium Security products.

You really need to post in the relevant sub-forum 'Definitly a problem on my iPhone' see below.

Whilst the error code may be the same the products are different, so needs reporting i the correct sub-forum - Avast Mobile Security for iOS. 
As and Avast user I can't just move your post to that sub-forum - https://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=94.0

I'm not even sure what Avast product version would be running on MS Surface.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.6.6121 (build 24.6.9241.848) UI 1.0.809/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline kpi

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2023, 11:37:46 PM »
Hello Paul,

I'm very sorry you are having issues with Avast. I can see you went through a lot of effort on Microsoft forum because of this. Unfortunately, we did not manage to replicate the issue on our side. Could you please help us with the investigation by providing some data?

Would it be possible to do the following procedure, please?
 - enable HTTPS scanning again (Menu > Settings > Protection > Core Shields > WebShield > Enable https scanning)
 - enable debug logging (Menu > Settings > General > Troubleshooting > Enable debug logging)
 - restart the computer
 - reproduce the issue
 - after reproducing the issue, turn the WebShield off (Protection > Core Shields > WebShield off)
 - create a support package (https://support.avast.com/en-eu/article/Submit-support-file#pc) and post the ID here. It can be easily done from our product (Menu > Settings > General > Troubleshooting > Send Logs button). Then we can go through logs and see what happened.

My personal tip is that WebShield did not like the server certificate for some reason and blocked the connection. Would it be possible to also share the URL/server that OneNote is trying to synchronize with? For more private communication, you can reach me here via messaging system (my messages).

Thank you very much,
Jindrich

I have encouter the same problem, and solved it the same way.
However, it is a shame to no use Awast Web Shield.

I have generated the requested log to support the team in managing this bug (file LGEV1). Please let us know if you find a fix.

Offline Leo3487

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2023, 02:36:14 AM »
Seeing how some users solved it but no want disable web shield at all I ask to David and others at Avast
At your antivirus something similar to this option at Malwarebytes?

Allow an application to connect to the Internet

To prevent Malwarebytes for Windows from blocking an application you trust, add the application executable.

Click Allow an application to connect to the Internet.
    To find the application, click Browse.
    Select the application executable you want to add, then click Open.
    Click Done to confirm your changes.

Offline Jon40

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2023, 12:31:59 PM »
23.8.6078 (build 23.8.8416.762)

I have the same problem - some OneNote pages wont open as not synced.

After wasting time on various forums I found this post - turned web shield off - all now works.

When will this be fixed?

Need to know quickly as will need to move to another provider if not soon.

BTW I cant read your stupid verification letters!!!!!!!

Offline Leo3487

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2023, 12:55:56 PM »

When will this be fixed?

Need to know quickly as will need to move to another provider if not soon.

BTW I cant read your stupid verification letters!!!!!!!

At same Microsoft Answers thread linked by OP, there is a post from 1 month later than this thread, can try this, add to exceptions this URL:

https://onedrive.live.com/*

(yes, also include the asterisk)

Menu > Settings> General > Exceptions > Add Exception

Offline Paul Blueberry

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2023, 03:54:04 PM »
Avast Free Antivirus updated itself today. The bug is still present in version 23.8.6078 (build 23.8.8416.762).

I tried adding https://onedrive.live.com/ as exception, but to me it doesn't work the bug around. Note, that it doesn't matter, whether you add a * or not, Avast will add it itself, even if you don't add it.

There is no sign, Avast Software s.r.o. is trying to solve this. I guess, that we (and the paying customers) will have to live with this bug from now on, or swith to another antivirus.