Author Topic: STEAM false positive  (Read 42274 times)

flaye

STEAM false positive
« on: July 23, 2012, 10:16:35 PM »
As of the last Avast update today ( 23/7/2012), STEAM is being identified as a trojan.

Any updates or knowledge about this?

Thanks.

Natos

Re: STEAM false positive
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 10:28:15 PM »
Yeah, it's really annoying when i start up my pc the false positive pop-up appearing and blocking steamservice.exe
Hope the problem is solved soon

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 10:30:19 PM »
do you have the file in avast chest?
right click the file and upload to avast lab....you may add a link to this topic

Aureus

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 10:43:55 PM »
I registered just so I can confirm that I'm having the same issue. I played Steam earlier today without issue, then after the update I tried turning it on again only to have Steam identified as malware and automatically placed in the Virus Chest.

I had to reinstall Steam files twice because of this. I added both Program Files (x86)\Steam and Common Files\Steam to the Exclusion List to no avail. Avast still picks them up as threats.

I've already submitted two of the files that Avast keeps picking up to the labs for analysis as False Positives. Hopefully this issue gets resolved soon, since I'm not all too keen on turning off the File System Shield just to play games.

anryth

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 10:47:08 PM »
Also registered to confirm I am having the same issue. :/ I was able to run Steam just fine yesterday. Also some googling shows me that the same issue happened back in February. Hopefully this gets sorted soon! I tried to submit it from my virus chest, but I got an error when trying to submit it.

shell64

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 11:03:42 PM »
Am getting it to...with C\Program Fles (x86) Common Files\Steam and Steam\bin
Restored them but when turn on again they put them back i the chest...What Program Name/Program Publisher and Program version do I need to put in the Submit to lab form?

Annoying...

Offline DJBone

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 11:11:24 PM »
I just started Steam and there's no FP. Virus definitions 120723-2.

DJBone
Win10 x64, APS (always latest version)
Avast Mobile Security (always latest version)

Neikius

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 11:33:24 PM »
Good for you. I cannot get Steam to work now... added exceptions, rebooted, tried to fix etc etc.

Is kinda sad how this is a recurring issue.

Anyway now I have insane kernel irq locking, could this be related?

Thwarter

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 11:51:33 PM »
Count me as another one getting the same Avast complaint about steamservice.exe.

OS is Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit.

RazooN

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 12:14:36 AM »
Got the same warning, updated to 120723-2, warnings are gone, everything is good.

bikemanAMD

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 12:18:15 AM »
Got Same warning, fixed with latest vps update 120723-2, so all is good it appears now, Thanks Avast labs for a fast fix

tk9780

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2012, 11:57:10 AM »
Remember to get Steam service to work you would need to add the file/s that have been given the false infection report; too both the 'Scan exclusion list' and the 'Real time shield' - 'File system shield' - 'Expert mod' - exclusion list.

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2012, 10:06:02 PM »
Remember to get Steam service to work you would need to add the file/s that have been given the false infection report; too both the 'Scan exclusion list' and the 'Real time shield' - 'File system shield' - 'Expert mod' - exclusion list.

So did the update not fix the FP issue or are you still having to add the steam client to the exclusion list?
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Milincic

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2012, 10:04:19 AM »
Aaand yes, on version 120726-02 I got the "virus" again..... Any fix coming soon or what?

PostmasterB

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2012, 10:22:34 AM »
I got the same issue. I'm unable to start Steam. You guys at Avast better sort this or I'm switching to another Antivirus program.