Author Topic: Disabling subscription expiration pop-up alerts?  (Read 15360 times)

Eschat

Disabling subscription expiration pop-up alerts?
« on: August 10, 2012, 07:37:32 AM »
I set my Avast in Silent/Gaming mode, yet I still get alerts about subscription running out and so forth, which crash my games.

How can I disable the subscription expiration alerts?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Disabling subscription expiration pop-up alerts?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 12:06:32 PM »
Well you could renew your subscription.
If you renew from the avastUI, Maintenance, Subscription, section then the rnewal should be an extension of your existing renewal date.

I take it that is the avast Pro or IS version ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline ketchup2me

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 04:59:49 AM »
Chime in, this is very annoying, crashes steam games.  You see, I will decide when to renew, and if I keep getting these annoying pop-ups to renew(many times a day), I will uninstall.   When I turn on silent mode,  there should never be a pop-up, only when the computer boots\logs in should I see this.  This is one of the reasons I stopped using other security products,  annoying pop-ups, begging for renewals, bloated.  The other thing that will doom this product is the new gouge pricing, even for people like me who have bought the pro/internet security edition for the last couple of years don't get a break.  Is avast getting a little big for their britches, should I start calling you symantec jr?  Cut the crap and your price for renewal, or its time for a new security program. 

dontrunwithknives

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 12:41:49 PM »
I joined up just to make this point but I see it is already the top topic. These pop-ups are bloody annoying and they are happening far to frequently. These pop-ups interrupt my movies and gaming. The fact AVAST even decided to create this pop-up shows they are more interested in money and don't care about annoying the crap out of their users. And what's with the pricing, $199 is the price you pay for being loyal and renewing early, then if you wait a little while they slash the price to $99. I'm starting to loose my faith in AVAST, I would not have expected this sort of behavior from them. I was eventually going to renew but I'm not so sure anymore. Might have a look around and see what else is out there.

And remember for every one person who complains there are many more who are equally annoyed yet they do not take the time to voice their opinion.

Not happy >:(
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 12:44:12 PM by dontrunwithknives »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 12:50:39 PM »
The expiration popups have always been there, and I don't think their frequency has changed.
They are quite important to be seen (as once the expiration really occurs, avast! will simply turn itself off and the machine is unprotected) - so yes, the silent mode doesn't work for them.

As for the pricing - I don't know what product you are talking about or what the pricing actually is ($200 doesn't sound like an ordinary consumer product) - but I suggest to contact sales@avast.com to express your concerns.

dontrunwithknives

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 01:26:24 PM »
What do you know, the pop-up conveniently just came up for a screenshot. And correction it says $179 although I am pretty sure it said $199 earlier.

Are you serious? After the subscription ends it just turns off completely leaving the system unprotected? It does not revert to free (lower feature) mode or anything? Wow... I guess being the best, most used anti-virus software in the world you can treat your customers how ever you like.

Having my movies and gaming interrupted constantly while I still have a paid license is ridiculous! You say it is because I need to know to renew the license before I loose protection but I didn't even know I would loose all protection even with all the pop-ups. Shows how well your pop-ups are working right... Oh wait could your pop-ups be there to annoy people so they hurry up and pay for renewal...  >:(

If I am completely wrong why isn't there a "remind me in: x" option? Because at the moment you are purposely harassing paying customers.

Here's a nice link for people looking for alternatives to avast:
http://alternativeto.net/software/avast-home-edition/

And no I will not be contacting sales@avast.com, I don't see what that would achieve and I think this deserves to be in public view.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 01:30:08 PM by dontrunwithknives »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 03:30:43 PM »
Well, I would say "... to stay protected" somehow implies that the machine will be unprotected after the subscription expires.
Changing the program edition (such as turning it into avast! Free) generally requires reboot, and probably a network connection... wouldn't be very nice to reboot the machine automatically.

I suggested to contact sales not to make it private, but simply to get them feedback, and maybe make them reconsider the pricing. Posting it on the forum is kinda unlikely to have that effect, I'm afraid.

Offline bruce_b

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 08:46:32 PM »
That says

1 years is $69

2 years is $99

3 years is $199

So it depends on how long you want to renew your sub for. You will save with the 3 year term
and I am fairly sure, if needed, you can uninstall from one computer and reactivate on a new one.
Dell Dimension 8200 P4 1.8Ghz Windows XP PRO SP3
Avast Free Antivirus 18.8.2356
Toshiba Satellite C855-S5347 Celeron B830 1.8Ghz
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit Version 1909 Build 18363.900
Avast Free Antivirus 20.4.2410 Build 20.4.5312.578

Davy

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 01:27:46 AM »
I find it annoying too, very annoying...  starts one month in advance at every boot up - I don't like this one bit!

Mine runs out on the 20th, already I am doubting it will be renewed and started looking elsewhere, not going to start a flame war by saying where either!

Yes it's been said before!
That double announcement still hasn't been fixed so why should I pay for a 'glitchy' product?

Dave

dontrunwithknives

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012, 01:44:47 PM »
That says

1 years is $69

2 years is $99

3 years is $199

So it depends on how long you want to renew your sub for. You will save with the 3 year term
and I am fairly sure, if needed, you can uninstall from one computer and reactivate on a new one.
Anyone who can do maths would be an idiot to buy three years.
2 years = $49.50 per year
3 years = $66.33 per year

CarterK

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2012, 05:01:12 AM »
I've used Avast! for a few years and just installed it on my brand-new Windows8 laptop, and I WANT to be ABLE to shut off the overwhelmingly loud, painful audio on the pop-up.  I stumbled on this discussion, looking for it, and what amazes me is that no one answered the question.  Igor looks like he works for Avast!, or at least his profile suggests it, but all he wants to do is be cute instead of trying to help those of us who would LOVE to tell everyone we know how GREAT Avast! is so that it will continue to be available. 

Well, it's not impressing me at all.  I'm not particularly technically oriented, no more than necessary to practice law, but I know what would impress everyone who's asked for help with this serious marketing issue:  GIVE US SOME ANSWERS.  Don't treat us like idiots.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2012, 05:08:43 AM »
I've used Avast! for a few years and just installed it on my brand-new Windows8 laptop, and I WANT to be ABLE to shut off the overwhelmingly loud, painful audio on the pop-up.  I stumbled on this discussion, looking for it, and what amazes me is that no one answered the question.  Igor looks like he works for Avast!, or at least his profile suggests it, but all he wants to do is be cute instead of trying to help those of us who would LOVE to tell everyone we know how GREAT Avast! is so that it will continue to be available. 

Well, it's not impressing me at all.  I'm not particularly technically oriented, no more than necessary to practice law, but I know what would impress everyone who's asked for help with this serious marketing issue:  GIVE US SOME ANSWERS.  Don't treat us like idiots.
Your are slightly off topic here as your Audio question has nothing to do with subscription popups but to answer your question go to Settings/Sounds.

Dch48

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2012, 10:34:34 PM »
My AIS 3 computer license runs out at the end of February. I'm going to be very disappointed if the price for renewal is that high and may have to look elsewhere. I only paid $29.95 for the original license and I feel that the renewal should not be any higher than that.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2012, 10:55:35 PM »
I imaging that you got a deal at $29.95 as the single year single license was 39.95 and possibly $49.95 I believe.

Currently on the avast site it is $39.99, $59,99 and $79.99 1, 2, and 3 years respectively. So it looks like the disparity on the 3 year deal has been corrected.

But renewing through the UI should get you a 30% I believe, possibly more if you watch the avastUI, Summary section for deals.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

krash

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2012, 02:31:28 PM »
Just thought I'd chime in. Been an Avast user for over 10 years, and yes it's a hassle, but isn't every thing on computers.
And yes, ALL software should have an option to shut down pop-up.
I will pay for a program that will do it for Windows and any program that runs on it.

Programmers and beancounters are what run the computer world and neither have any idea of what real people need or want.
Programmers haven't a clue, and Beancounters just don't care.

Any way, I got an email notice that says my Avast will expire in 48 hours. yet it's good till March 2013???

As for pricing, life costs money, when something cost to much you move on, or figure a way around it.
If you think Avast is bad on price, I remember buying gas for $0.25 a gallon US. When I pumped gas in the 60s, pumps would not register over $9.99.