Author Topic: Avast GUI Discussion  (Read 138501 times)

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Avast GUI Discussion
« Reply #120 on: September 16, 2012, 10:29:30 PM »
is avast really plans to change its UI ??
I think Vlk's purpose in his post starting this thread essentially asked that question, are there any changes important enough (or wanted by enough users) for Avast to put development work into?
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #121 on: September 16, 2012, 10:35:04 PM »
is avast really plans to change its UI ??
I think Vlk's purpose in his post starting this thread essentially asked that question, are there any changes important enough (or wanted by enough users) for Avast to put development work into?

+1 Agreed   ;)
On a side note, I've always wondered why there never seems to be development of the "Firewall" module in the AIS suite?? :-\ :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #122 on: September 16, 2012, 10:42:04 PM »
I've always wondered why there never seems to be development of the "Firewall" module in the AIS suite?? :-\ :)
+1000
The best things in life are free.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #123 on: September 17, 2012, 12:29:08 AM »
I've always wondered why there never seems to be development of the "Firewall" module in the AIS suite?? :-\ :)
+1000

How do we fan the flames, as many would like a more complete/ configurable Firewall with the kind of options available in another Pro Firewall. ::) ;)

Dch48

« Reply #124 on: September 17, 2012, 12:40:26 AM »
+1000

How do we fan the flames, as many would like a more complete/ configurable Firewall with the kind of options available in another Pro Firewall. ::) ;)
To me, the only thing the Firewall needs is the ability to remove obsolete rules for things that no longer exist on the system. I'm perfectly satisfied otherwise. I don't think it needs any other features and certainly NOT any HIPS like functionality.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #125 on: September 17, 2012, 12:49:01 AM »
+1000

To me, the only thing the Firewall needs is the ability to remove obsolete rules for things that no longer exist on the system. I'm perfectly satisfied otherwise. I don't think it needs any other features and certainly NOT any HIPS like functionality.

I can understand that,
Personally, The more I can manipulate settings/ports etc. the better I like it. I don't like
'blanket settings'.

Dch48

« Reply #126 on: September 17, 2012, 12:51:01 AM »
You already can adjust allowed ports and levels of access.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #127 on: September 17, 2012, 01:23:35 AM »

Do you use  the Firewall in your AIS? It looks like you do not. (Sig) :)

ImWarm

« Reply #128 on: September 17, 2012, 04:52:41 AM »
I think the Summary Page should be re-worked. There is just too much blank space...
And the merging of the shields (Local protection and Network protection) would be nice too.

Dch48

« Reply #129 on: September 17, 2012, 06:14:10 AM »

Yes I use both it and the Windows one in Win7 and XP and it is set to Ask. You can modify your rules for many things including ports and access levels, as I said. I thought just having AIS in the sig would infer that I use the Firewall. Otherwise, why pay for the suite?  I also use the Safe Zone for my banking and shopping. What I do not use are the on demand sandbox and WebRep
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 06:20:07 AM by Dch48 »

Diddy

« Reply #130 on: September 17, 2012, 10:15:14 AM »
HI I would like to put my two sense in please on the avast uI I like the avast ui for the most part.  But I do agree that the registration for the free version of avast should be done automatically so that the user does not need to re register the free version I don't find it to much of a pain to reregister but a lot of people have had trouble with this on the forum and it is a waste of peoples time and bother.  So I hope someone at avast finds a solution to this sooner not later.

Overall though I find the avast ui to be laid out I have sight problems and I find the tabs easy to read and navigate through.

Keep up the great work avast

ardi_sugianto

« Reply #131 on: September 17, 2012, 11:23:15 AM »
HI I would like to put my two sense in please on the avast uI I like the avast ui for the most part.  But I do agree that the registration for the free version of avast should be done automatically so that the user does not need to re register the free version I don't find it to much of a pain to reregister but a lot of people have had trouble with this on the forum and it is a waste of peoples time and bother.  So I hope someone at avast finds a solution to this sooner not later.

Overall though I find the avast ui to be laid out I have sight problems and I find the tabs easy to read and navigate through.

yeaahh, i also agree with this  ;D

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #132 on: September 17, 2012, 02:21:28 PM »

Your registration is what Avast uses for it's statistics of who is using avast!
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v24H2 64bit, 32 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 24.4.6112, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #133 on: September 17, 2012, 06:19:03 PM »

Yes I use both it and the Windows one in Win7 and XP and it is set to Ask. You can modify your rules for many things including ports and access levels, as I said. I thought just having AIS in the sig would infer that I use the Firewall. Otherwise, why pay for the suite?  I also use the Safe Zone for my banking and shopping. What I do not use are the on demand sandbox and WebRep

I follow your thinking.
 Well there are many reasons why someone may choose to purchase a suite and many subsequent configurations a person may decide on.
There you have it. ;) :D

cholmes

« Reply #134 on: September 18, 2012, 02:06:00 AM »
The only things that I see issue that I have is regarding the avast update. I love the popup badge. It's a great way or me to know that avast is up to date. It the sounds the "avast is now up to date" bloody annoying. And I haven't found a check box to turn it off. That's my only issue. Other than that a very intuitive layout. Easy to use with all the features still being available.