Author Topic: Just a general query  (Read 22485 times)

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: Just a general query
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2012, 05:11:54 PM »
Avast will update when it installs, if it should alert on TCPIP then select ignore

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2012, 05:19:12 PM »
So I can alter the shield settings before I've registered?
Yes, you can.  Every version of Avast! is a 30-day trial version until it is registered.  This would mean it is fully functional out-of-the-box for 30 days from first install, and setting modifications can be made at any time during that 30 day period, even before the first automatic antivirus update occurs.

You get the same protection in trial as in a paid or registered product during the 30 days.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

em1500uk

« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2012, 05:56:17 PM »
Thanks all for putting up with me ;D 8) I am really sorry to have bombarded you all with so many questions and such, but it's what I'm like when it comes to these things.

@ essexboy - do you yourself have any idea if the TCPIP false positive that others reported last Wednesday has been fixed? I did look on the Avast official site and checked out Virus Update History and I see that an update was released on December 8th: "8.12.2012 - 121208-1 This VPS update contains only fixes to existing definitions or removal of false alarms." so I wondered if that update was the one that was meant to have fixed it?

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2012, 06:41:54 PM »
Very probably yes, having said that I ran Avast on my XP system and it did not make a squeak

em1500uk

« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2012, 07:31:39 PM »
Help!

Just hit a big problem.

I removed AntiVir 9 via the add/remove programs and let the system reload normally. I then restarted the system again and went to F8 and Safe Mode. There were 2 names to choose from: Administrator (which I didn't even know was there!) and my name Emma and as far as I'm aware, I'm on an administrator type of account anyway, so I went for my name and all of my desktop icons came up whereas on the Administrator name they weren't there. So anyway, I went and double clicked on the Avira's registry cleaner (which I got directly from their website) and then this error comes up:

Regcleaner.exe Unable To Locate Component
Application has failed to start because mfc100.dll was not found. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

So...I'm at a loss as to what to do now. I'm only on a dial up connection at home so I can't download anything huge and I'm not in work till Friday now. I daren't go online as the only thing protecting me now is my Sygate Personal Firewall by blocking odd incoming and outgoing traffic.

Ahhh this is all I wanted in the run up to Christmas. I knew this wouldn't be straightforward :(
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 07:35:57 PM by em1500uk »

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2012, 07:46:27 PM »
Oops!

Never run a registry cleaner of any sort.  The fact that you errored out is actually a blessing.  Even seasoned techs never run such a program.  One wrong registry entry removed, you can have a dead Windows system at worst, and at best, can have mysterious errors or bugs in your system that were not there before running such a program.  For example, MS Word now has problems, so...

If you really want to ensure AntiVir 9 is gone completely, go here and run the vendor removal tool from here:  http://singularlabs.com/uninstallers/security-software/

Use entry # [04] only to remove all left-over remnants.  Then reboot and you should be good to go.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

em1500uk

« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2012, 08:00:56 PM »
Ah! So that's me being a dumb dumb then! Sorry :-[ You did put that link up earlier in the topic. I thought both of these were the same thing. Erm, I must now ask this...what about CCleaner? I have this program and use this from time to time, including the registry cleaner part of it.

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #52 on: December 12, 2012, 08:06:58 PM »
OK, since you have no a/v protection atm, do not go online again until you do.

Workaround is to go and get the files you need from another computer.  A friends computer will work just fine, copy to a clean (no virus!) usb drive and transfer the files to your XP and run them from there.  Friend's computer must be virus-free as well.

As for the error, that can be fixed at the microsoft site here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2019667  If memory serves right, DavidR already covered that earlier in your thread.

EDIT: CCleaner is best used only for temporary file removal.  Even tho the registry cleaner is mild, it still can cause system damage if the wrong entry is removed.  I know you have best intentions here, but try to never use a registry cleaner.  That is, unless you are comfortable with redoing XP from scratch again in the worst case scenario.  You can avoid all that by not using one.

EDIT 2:  Also, do not use the disc wipe feature or wipe free space feature in CCleaner.  I have personally seen horror stories where the entire drive was wiped clean and all personal data was lost, not to mention the OS had to be installed once more...
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 08:30:35 PM by mchain »

em1500uk

« Reply #53 on: December 12, 2012, 09:17:04 PM »
Didn't think I could go online until I had an AV program again. Don't think my mother is too impressed with me LOL! I just can't believe I thought what you'd posted before and what I'd gone out and got was the same thing. I'm so annoyed with myself as it's now a delay I could've done without but hey ho, it's my fault. I know our system's are clear at work, but I'm not back there till Friday as I say. I might be able to get it tomorrow at a library perhaps... I don't have anyone nearby that I can go to right now to use their internet connection.

As in, the file I downloaded from DavidR's link earlier will solve that dll error?

Wow. I must say I hadn't really thought of registry cleaning like that before. I'll take that on board for sure! But won't a registry then become cluttered and slow a computer down, or is that all a myth? You'll be glad to hear I've never used the disc wiping thing in CCleaner and have never had an urge to. This forum is certainly proving to be an education so far!

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #54 on: December 12, 2012, 09:35:10 PM »
 :D :D

Glad to help you out with your learning curve.  Seems to be going up exponentially so far.

As for the error, best to re-install that C++ before you encounter errors with the Avast! install.  To do that, look in Add/Remove for the C++ program, uninstall that, have the downloaded C++ program handy, reboot, then install the new C++.

Re registry cleaners, the Windows Registry is extremely robust, and can tolerate many errors within it without apparent symptoms.  Rather, it is the other way around, registry cleaners can cause system damage so severe that the mildest form of damage is a slowdown, and the mid-range is installation errors, and worst, a dead system.  Sounds counterintuitive, but this sort of program is snake-oil at best.  You are right, you are the master of your system, but don't let that go to your head, and damage it any further.  Remember, your computer is designed to do exactly what you tell it to do, and we often are the weakest link in the chain, and this is sometimes only due to simple ignorance.

em1500uk

« Reply #55 on: December 12, 2012, 10:33:49 PM »
It's safe to remove the previous VC++ before installing the other one? I did forget to ask before, do I run that vendor removal tool in safe mode? Take it the VC++ removal/install can happen in normal mode or whatever you like to call it?

I'll cease with using the registry cleaner in CCleaner in that case. I'll know now for future reference.

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #56 on: December 12, 2012, 10:45:46 PM »
Yes, it is a necessary step.  The point is to ensure a clean and error-free install of C++

If you can run in normal mode, always use that unless the uninstall program specifically states to run in Safe Mode.  An example of that is the Avast! removal tool here:  http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility  You should be aware that this removal tool can be destructive if you do not follow instructions for use exactly.  For example, it must be placed on the admin desktop and nowhere else, and so on.

If it does not say to run only in Safe Mode, no need for Safe Mode.  Safe Mode really is only for when normal admin mode cannot be run or entered for whatever reason.

em1500uk

« Reply #57 on: December 13, 2012, 08:36:11 AM »
I'll sort out the VC++ thing this morning then before I go out for the day. If I can get the vendor removal file whilst I'm out, it'll be all the better, but if not, I'll have to wait until Friday. Still can't get over the fact that I thought that and the thing I found were the same thing :-[ It seems funny Avira have that registry cleaner tool, if it's not something that's recommended to be carried out.

Oh and regarding your comment on the Avast removal tool being placed on an admin desktop and nowhere else. Well, seeing as I got what appeared to be 2 user accounts up in safe mode last night (me - Emma - and an Administrator one) how can I check that my account is an admin account? I have always thought my name was the admin account and the only one as that's the only name that appears on my screen after I place my PC in stand by mode and then wake it up again. The admn name appearing in safe mode surprised me and confused me somewhat.

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #58 on: December 13, 2012, 08:52:40 AM »
I'll sort out the VC++ thing this morning then before I go out for the day. If I can get the vendor removal file whilst I'm out, it'll be all the better, but if not, I'll have to wait until Friday. Still can't get over the fact that I thought that and the thing I found were the same thing :-[ It seems funny Avira have that registry cleaner tool, if it's not something that's recommended to be carried out.

Oh and regarding your comment on the Avast removal tool being placed on an admin desktop and nowhere else. Well, seeing as I got what appeared to be 2 user accounts up in safe mode last night (me - Emma - and an Administrator one) how can I check that my account is an admin account? I have always thought my name was the admin account and the only one as that's the only name that appears on my screen after I place my PC in stand by mode and then wake it up again. The admn name appearing in safe mode surprised me and confused me somewhat.
For checking the status of your account, to see whether or not it is admin or user-limited, see the three .jpegs attached below.

Start>Control Panel>User Accounts

Note that the account now operating in, is a user-limited account, not an administrative one.  You cannot install programs or make system changes to the computer whilst in limited user mode.

EDIT:  Default Administrator account is created when Windows XP is first installed.  This account is known as the "hidden" administrator account, and is not usable/viewable unless the user enters Safe Mode.  "Emma" is the user created administrative account and is visible in standard normal user mode as well as Safe Mode.  Since the file in question would normally be downloaded to the desktop in standard normal admin mode, aswclear.exe would only be found in the Emma account, not in the hidden admin account.

Reason for having the hidden admin user account is for situations such as your main admin account becomes corrupted and unusable (it does happen) and you can then go into safe mode to create a new admin account you can use in normal admin mode from the hidden admin account.  You then would transfer all important documents from the corrupted admin account to the new one.  It also allows you to work in Safe Mode when normal admin will not work in Safe Mode either.  Using Administrator (Safe Mode) account is reserved for those occasions where normal admin will not work as it should.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 09:04:55 AM by mchain »

em1500uk

« Reply #59 on: December 13, 2012, 11:14:37 AM »
Thanks for that, but I went into control panel myself this morning and worked it out LOL! I found the user accounts section. VC++ (the version DavidR gave me a link to) has been installed and the other was successfully removed beforehand.

I've now downloaded the removal tool from that Singular Labs site, but I notice that this zipped file I've now downloaded is also a registry cleaner file ??? I click on the info link and it takes me to the official Avira page where I got the other from file yesterday (which as you know was a registry cleaner from my previous posts). So, do I run this tool in normal mode or safe mode later on when I get home or what? Confused.com right now!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 11:17:29 AM by em1500uk »