Author Topic: Finally decided to put old XP Pro down........shoot'em  (Read 8053 times)

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
Finally decided to put old XP Pro down........shoot'em
« on: February 12, 2013, 04:10:05 AM »
After about 2 months using my new ASUS G75VX laptop with W7 Pro, I've decided to put old XP Pro desktop dog down it been 10 years using XP Pro and I'm going to missed the old girl she has been my best friend and she had to be shot :'( :'(

Hopefully this W7 Pro OEM should be able to last another 10 more years I hope before MS really do kick my hairy arse before they drag me over to W8, W9 or bloody W10 etc etc ;D
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 05:27:06 AM by SpeedyPC »
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v24.3.6108 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • KISS Rules The World!!!
    • KISS Army
Re: Finally decided to put old XP Pro down........shoot'em
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 05:24:05 AM »
Glad you like it. I got my wife a laptop right before Win 8 came out. neither one of us like Win 8.
You Wanted the Best You Got the Best the Hottest Band in the World KISS!!!

Dch48

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 07:32:56 AM »
I wouldn't say XP is the best OS but I still like it. My older laptop will run it until it dies whether it's still being supported or not simply because it has too many special options that only work in XP. I ran XP exclusively from 2005 to mid 2012 and loved it but I needed a more graphically capable machine to keep up in the gaming scene so I bought this current Win7 one and I couldn't be happier. Windows 7 is excellent and better than XP. I have no need or use for Win 8. If I follow my past schedule, my next PC purchase will be in 2018 and who knows what number Windows will be up to by then. :)

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 07:33:42 PM »
Had a Vista, which a lightning storm nailed it, glad it did.
I now have Win7 and I like it a lot. Win7 is so much better than Vista.
I now have a surge protector.  8)

p.s. Sorry to hear about your XP. May it Rest In Peace.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 10:42:03 PM »
I went through pretty much the same thing early in December -- my old system running XP died (primarily power supply, plus whatever got fried in the process), new system is a Lenovo with Win 7 (dual-core,x64).

Only two real gripes with 7 -- as seems to have been their custom since they've been around, MS has renamed and moved many common functions without changing how they work, so there's a lot of hunting to find things.  Plus (and I can't really blame MS for this) I've lost the use of many old-favorite 16-bit apps.

What's really interesting is the hardware housing ... it's got no floppy drive, and an external power supply, so even though it's technically a desktop it's about the size of a digital clock, quite a change from my old tower.  Plus it has a removable base to permit it to stand on end (handy, since that puts the outlet vent on top), in which case the desk-footprint is only about 2x3 inches.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Ddm5

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 03:13:34 AM »
I kinda did the same thing to be honest, I switched from my old battered, half broken Xp pro laptop that lasted me a good while, whereas my dad uses the even older laptop with xp pro on it, I do quite like Win7 A LOT now compared to Xp, I'm not sure why, I used to hate 7 but I love it now and since my desktop is finally finished, I'm very happy with it.

Offline Rompin Raider

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 05:09:20 AM »
It's hard to say goodbye....but we must move on! I feel your pain! ;)
Win10 Pro 22H2 64 bit Avast Premium Security/uBlock Origin

Dch48

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 07:20:32 AM »
I went through pretty much the same thing early in December -- my old system running XP died (primarily power supply, plus whatever got fried in the process), new system is a Lenovo with Win 7 (dual-core,x64).

Only two real gripes with 7 -- as seems to have been their custom since they've been around, MS has renamed and moved many common functions without changing how they work, so there's a lot of hunting to find things.  Plus (and I can't really blame MS for this) I've lost the use of many old-favorite 16-bit apps.

Yeah there is a small learning curve to endure when going from XP to Win 7 but it really isn't that bad. I will say though, that it was easier for me after having worked with Vista on the other machine here before getting my new laptop. Win7 and Vista are very similar but 7 just works much better.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2013, 02:11:11 PM »
Amazed to find out you chose Win. 7 when Windows 8 would have been a much better choice.
Lighter on system resources and more secure. Capable of aiding an older computer in better performance.
Something you can't get from Windows 7.
Your computer, your choice even if it might not have been the right one......
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2013, 02:15:24 PM »
Amazed to find out you chose Win. 7 when Windows 8 would have been a much better choice.
Lighter on system resources and more secure. Capable of aiding an older computer in better performance.

Bob W8 is not 100% ready for gaming, AutoCAD and Revit Structure building design work ;) it far to early for W8 beside MS W7 support and receive updates doesn't finished until January 14, 2020 as I have plenty of time for MS might have something better than W8 and W9 Blue ;) ;)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 02:17:26 PM by SpeedyPC »
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v24.3.6108 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2013, 02:17:55 PM »
Hi Dch48,

Use this checklist by bernie: http://labmice.techtarget.com/articles/winxpsecuritychecklist.htm
Maybe they will come out with some unofficial service pack, like they did for Win98 second edition (from a Turkish developer)

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2013, 06:21:47 PM »

Everyday I discover something different and better then I would have thought in my Windows 8 Pro.
I too love the extra,extra security features, super fast boot up and low, low resource use. :D 8)

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2013, 06:26:37 PM »
I am more than satisfied with Win7. I am not a fan of the dreaded metro look. Give me the good old icons any day.
I have an idea on what people can do with the metro look.
I just can't say it here.  ;D
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Perseverance Furthers...
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2013, 10:48:58 PM »
I suspect due to its long life Win XP SP3 is the most 'patched' System ever, which is good for those of us still using it. It's been a long ride.  ;)
Hopefully MS have learnt alot through XP since 2000, and migrate their conceptual patches into Win 7, Win 8, and beyond.

Dch48

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2013, 01:08:51 AM »
Hi Dch48,

Use this checklist by bernie: http://labmice.techtarget.com/articles/winxpsecuritychecklist.htm
Maybe they will come out with some unofficial service pack, like they did for Win98 second edition (from a Turkish developer)

polonus
Thanks POl but that list is more for corporate networks than for home users. A lot of it I already have employed but there are some things I will not do for convenience and ease of use considerations. I limit how much I will let the pond scum dictate how I use my machines.