Author Topic: Re: *** URGENT *** Vile viruses that are proving difficult to resolve.  (Read 37324 times)

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: *** URGENT *** Vile viruses that are proving difficult to resolve.
« Reply #105 on: February 21, 2013, 11:12:35 PM »
Not a problem, I just hope it is not a hardware problem

nexar

« Reply #106 on: February 22, 2013, 03:13:51 PM »
I can't get the system to boot from the CD. 

I know that the CD that I've created works because it works on another XP m/c

I know that the CD drive on the infected m/c works because I can play stuff off it and read data from previously stored disks.

I have set up the Boot sequence so that the CD is the first option.  I have even disabled the floppy, harddisk and network options but then it says Op Sys not found.

I am now officially at my wits end.

I thought I would boot up in Safe Mode and try and Uninstall as many programs as I could safely do to see if one of them is causing the problem  However it is saying that it cannot connect to Windows Installer.  I tried doing the misexec.exe /unregister and then msiexec.exe /regserver bit but now Windows Installer no longer appears in the Services section of the system.  Each step seems to take me backwards.

Nexar

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #107 on: February 22, 2013, 03:16:06 PM »
Windows installer does not work in safe mode

You could try the following..

Boot to safe mode
Insert the CD and run Setup.exe

nexar

« Reply #108 on: February 22, 2013, 03:47:10 PM »
Tried that but when I move to the CD in explorer it shows it as empty.... but it's not because I can see everything on the other m/c

If this points to hardware then it's being selective because I can see other CDs data.

Any thing else to try?

Nexar

nexar

« Reply #109 on: February 22, 2013, 04:18:52 PM »
Earlier you had suggested burning the image onto a USB Stick but the reason I didn't do that was because the m/c doesn't support booting from a USB stick.  However if I'm going to be doing what you suggested as an alternative. i.e. Safe Boot and then run Setup.exe then do you think it would work in that way if I used Rufus to create the image on a USB Stick?

Nexar

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #110 on: February 22, 2013, 04:36:24 PM »
How did you burn the CD ?  I would suggest ImgBurn as that can create bootable discs http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=61

nexar

« Reply #111 on: February 22, 2013, 04:45:49 PM »
I used InfraRecorder which I had used before.  The CD is bootable because I tested it on another m/c.  On this m/c it doesn't even show any content leave alone auto booting.

Nexar

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #112 on: February 22, 2013, 05:01:50 PM »
I must admit that I am suspecting a hardware problem versus a software one

I will need to see what form of hardware problem could be causing this but I am suspecting memory or hard drive

nexar

« Reply #113 on: February 22, 2013, 05:13:25 PM »
Anything we can run that will identify the problem?

Nexar

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #114 on: February 22, 2013, 05:21:13 PM »
Just trying to locate some small programmes for xp to test them out

What is the make and model of the laptop

nexar

« Reply #115 on: February 22, 2013, 05:42:53 PM »
It's a Sony VAIO Model PCG-6E1M.  Quite old.

nexar

« Reply #116 on: February 22, 2013, 06:06:09 PM »
Since this doesn't look like it's going to get resolved today, are you going to be around at the weekend to continue or does everything come to a halt?

Nexar

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #117 on: February 22, 2013, 07:16:51 PM »
Nope I am around all the time as I am semi retired from proper work  ;D

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #118 on: February 22, 2013, 07:27:26 PM »
Do you have this function on your laptop http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=C1013171&mdl=VPCF115FM

If so could you run the hardware - hard drive option please
If you do not have it I will try to locate a downloadable copy

This looks like the correct link http://www.sony-driver.com/vpccw13fx-notebook-notebook-utilities-winxp/
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 07:31:30 PM by essexboy »

nexar

« Reply #119 on: February 22, 2013, 07:56:02 PM »
I think I gave you the wrong model no. off the back of the laptop.  Apparently the correct one is VGN-S3XP.

I have found some information on the VAIO site which shows how to restore back from a Recovery Partition to the system's original state.

I was reading about what the link you gave me did.  It seems to install some utilities.  Not sure how that helps.  if the hardware has gone then we need some diagnostics that will tell us what has gone.  However I'm fairly certain from the way the system is behaving that it is not H/W related.  The more I think about it the more it seems like the Op Sys got clobbered whilst we were running various recovery type utilities because the system hung half way.

Unless you have very strong views on me running what you are suggesting this is what I am planning on doing:

1.  Go through the C drive and ensure ALL data is taken of.  99% of it already is off but I'll double check.

2.  Identify what s/w has been installed which I might have a problem re-installing.  Most things like browser, adobe, mysql etc should be easily re-installed.  I'm guessing you will be able to help me get back the avast licence etc.  The MAIN one here is MSOffice 2003 Professional.  Do you know of any way to find out the current Product Key and also do you have any ISO type images from which I could load it back?  There is one other one (an American system for stock market quotes) but I'll try and get my broker to give me information on that again.  I don't think there is anything else CRITICAL.

3.  Recover using the VAIO's own recovery system. i.e. bring back the C drive to it's original stage.

4. Re-install the software that I need. 

5.  Forget this sorry incident ever happened.

What do you think of this as a plan of action?  If there is anything else that I've missed that you can think of then please let me know.  I guess updating XP to the current Service Pack etc will need to be done.  Will you be able to help me with some guidance on that?  At least this way we will know for sure that we have a clean system again and I'm not constantly looking over my shoulder to see what else may break.

Thanks for all your help and it's good to know that you'll be around over the week end.  When do you get a break then?

Nexar