Poll

As we have just released our new major version (V8), we would love to hear your feedback. So, how did we do?

It's great. I love it.
191 (28.4%)
So far so good. It is an improvement over V7 but we will see.
165 (24.5%)
About the same as V7
50 (7.4%)
I don't like the new version. Where can I get the download links for V7?
167 (24.8%)
It's rubbish.
100 (14.9%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Poll: How do you like Avast V8?  (Read 233867 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Poll: How do you like Avast V8?
« Reply #150 on: March 05, 2013, 01:17:51 AM »
You're welcome, the smiley face is still there on the paid versions, just the background colour is different.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

paflyer

« Reply #151 on: March 05, 2013, 02:16:54 AM »
And would you like to know why I said it was rubbish?  I REALLY don't like it when software installs OTHER Software and doesn't even bother to ask me if I want it installed.

I would say "oh, just uninstall it"... but this isn't the first time you've done so.
 >:(

I DON'T WANT CHROME.  I told you this the last time you did this to me (upgrade to v7), and you do it again with v8.  Guess it's time to look elsewhere.

Offline !Donovan

• Web Analyst
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • The WAR Against Malware
« Reply #152 on: March 05, 2013, 02:32:47 AM »
I DON'T WANT CHROME.
It's optional, and Chrome is currently the most popular browser.
-> http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php
Familiarize Yourself! | Educate Yourself! | Beautify Yourself! | Scan Yourself!
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."

John_M

« Reply #153 on: March 05, 2013, 05:23:49 AM »
In my personal opinion, Avast has gone the way of Symantec/Norton Anti-Virus and become BLOATWARE!  Yes, I said it!  On top of that, it is geared to sell their more expensive products.  Avast used to be a great product, but has gone the way of so many.  I believe it has left itself open to a product that is small, simple, effective, and free...the way it used to be.  Someone, possibly Microsoft Security Essentials (yuck) will claim the spot Avast used to hold.  Turn back now or be doomed as others have been.

jrclen

« Reply #154 on: March 05, 2013, 06:23:00 AM »
Just what I need. Another program to nag me about updates of flash. I turned off that stupid thing but it turns itself right back on.
I update flash and 10 minutes later avast is telling me to update it again. What rubbish.
Every virus protection program started out small and efficient. Everyone turned into bloatware. Avast is doing the same thing.
It's time to go find another small efficient program that simply does what we expect an anti virus program to do.
I don't need virus protection that also does the washing and ironing.

tubbies.dipsy3

« Reply #155 on: March 05, 2013, 06:52:17 AM »
it's great,..
but i have trouble, when I finish to install avast 8 pro trial in my notebook,..
i have notebook AO722, processor Amd Dual Core 1.0Ghz, 2Gb DDR3, and I use win 8 pro x86 OS,..

when I logout from my system, n i will login again my desktop in user login is blank,.....

and when i sucess login, ned more time to show menu windows,..

how do heandle this trouble,.?

tubbies.dipsy3

« Reply #156 on: March 05, 2013, 07:01:48 AM »
heloo,..
i have trouble in my notebook,..
i have AO722, AMD Dual Core, 2Gb DDR3 Ram,..
I Success to install avast 8 pro trial, but i have trouble,..
when i will login in my notebook, I had to wait a long time, less than 10 minutes to access the menu, ..
and when I logout, display windos suddenly flashes continuously, ..

is there a solution to the problem.?

gorlando

« Reply #157 on: March 05, 2013, 07:32:48 AM »
I have a very bad opinion of V8 since it caused a BSOD on my Windows XP Professional / SP3, possibly due to incompatibility with ZoneAlarm.
I spent a few hours to understand what the problem was and found out it was the V8!!! Very bad!!!
I will go back to V7 and look forward to a V8 patch to resolve this issue.

true indian

« Reply #158 on: March 05, 2013, 08:03:14 AM »
Guys,software updater is a great addition as most exploits infect machines where software is outdated.You call something bloatware when there are features that dont work but here everything works as expected.

I seriously dont understand the reason to change AV's if you dont need it do a custom install and get rid of the additional stuff although avast continues the development of the core essentials:
https://blog.avast.com/2012/12/03/new-toy-research-lab/
http://www.avast.com/pr-protection-at-your-fingertips-the-new-avast-8

so avast continues to push its improvements on core essentials along with some additional stuff so if you dont need the additional stuff do a custom install and remove it,simple!  :)

To Add,if you have issues with avast installation then make your own topics in the foum and not write it here as it will overlooked.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 08:05:06 AM by true indian »

lovelycoser

« Reply #159 on: March 05, 2013, 09:00:47 AM »
Yea, It's wonderful for me, so how do you think about this question? :P

DavidiBaldwin

« Reply #160 on: March 05, 2013, 09:11:23 AM »
Do Not like the software Updater.  I want to permanently disable it.

paflyer

« Reply #161 on: March 05, 2013, 11:24:28 AM »
I DON'T WANT CHROME.
It's optional, and Chrome is currently the most popular browser.
-> http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php

No, it wasn't optional.  Had it been optional, I wouldn't have said it didn't ask.  It just installed.  No option.
Yes I know Chrome is popular, doesn't mean you have the right to force it down my throat.  Tried it, didn't like it, deleted it.  At least have the courtesy to ask me if I want other crap installed before you install it.

paflyer

« Reply #162 on: March 05, 2013, 11:27:42 AM »
Guys,software updater is a great addition as most exploits infect machines where software is outdated.You call something bloatware when there are features that dont work but here everything works as expected.

While the software updater may be a "great addition", Win 7 has some quirks when it comes to installing software, even as the administrator.  and unfortunately Avast doesn't account for the "run as administrator" when it says "this software needs to be updated" and attempts to update it.

Offline justinlee

• Poster
« Reply #163 on: March 05, 2013, 02:39:02 PM »
excellent!.but you don't forget to add to the deletion of obsolete rules firewall... thank you  ;)

This is a very good suggestion! Avast 8 is great it looks very clean and I like the software updater :)
Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) SP1,
Intel Core i5-2410M @2.30GHz, 6GB RAM
AvastFree Antivirus & ZoneAlarm Free.

Harikrishnan

« Reply #164 on: March 05, 2013, 04:12:48 PM »
Look at this picture...avast UI opened with avast web forum opened in Firefox as background.....can U differentiate avast GUI and the forum web page easily..... ;D